How will medical schools view having a Dr. LOR AND a committee PACKET with 3 LORs inside and the committee letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awood

Reaction score
Hi everyone, the title is as stated. My college submits a committee Packet on behalf of the students which contains the committee letter and 3 LORs from professors. However, I have also requested a recommendation from a Dr. mentor who has zero affiliation with my college who will submit his letter directly to AMCAS (I believe?). My question is, how will medical schools with minimum and maximum LOR requirements view a packet plus the independent letter? Will there be any administrative hiccups or anything? Will they think I submitted below the minimum number of LORs? I'm just a bit confused about this end of the process. To anyone who responds, thank you for taking the time to do so :)

Members don't see this ad.

The Dr LOR is fine for DO schools, but MD schools don't care.

Have mercy on those of us who have to read these things
Thank you for answering my question and sorry about the title ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Dr LOR is fine for DO schools, but MD schools don't care.

Have mercy on those of us who have to read these things

I cringe at the thought that schools have to read 5,000+ applications. Do they ever “skim” or are they truly reading each one?

Hi everyone, the title is as stated. My college submits a committee Packet on behalf of the students which contains the committee letter and 3 LORs from professors. However, I have also requested a recommendation from a Dr. mentor who has zero affiliation with my college who will submit his letter directly to AMCAS (I believe?). My question is, how will medical schools with minimum and maximum LOR requirements view a packet plus the independent letter? Will there be any administrative hiccups or anything? Will they think I submitted below the minimum number of LORs? I'm just a bit confused about this end of the process. To anyone who responds, thank you for taking the time to do so :)
Generally speaking, a committee letter is sufficient and not in excess (ever).
If a particular school wants a particular type of letter (for example, a DO school wanting a "DO or Physician" letter), you may add it.

Reactions: 1 users
There is nothing that bores me more screening applications than reading 10+ pages of LORs. Committee letter should be plenty on its own unless you apply somewhere that requests a physician letter.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users