Will joining clubs help your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Joining a pre-med group like pre-AMSA will probably help your application.
But what about a biology club? Will it help my application? There is a first meeting this week and I am thinking about joining.

Their site has not been updated in a few years but some of the activities included a Spring trip, Habitat for Humanity, picnic, and going to an elementary school for a science enrichment program.

Members don't see this ad.

But what about a biology club? Will it help my application? There is a first meeting this week and I am thinking about joining.

Their site has not been updated in a few years but some of the activities included a Spring trip, Habitat for Humanity, picnic, and going to an elementary school for a science enrichment program.

everything helps!

It definitely won't hurt, that's for sure. I wasn't really in any clubs in undergrad (but really involved in my church). They're looking more for quality rather than quantity so keep that in mind!

Members don't see this ad :)

What is most important for your application is showing your involvement in these activities, particularly any leadership roles. Choose a club that parallels your interests and get involved in that community. Being a member of biology club or pre-med club won't do much for you on its own. Optometry schools seem to like students who were involved in their communities. A majority of my incoming class this year had some leadership role in undergrad, and I don't think it was by coincidence.

My answer pretty much sums up to this: participate in organizations that you are interested in and take an active role in it.

What is most important for your application is showing your involvement in these activities, particularly any leadership roles. Choose a club that parallels your interests and get involved in that community. Being a member of biology club or pre-med club won't do much for you on its own. Optometry schools seem to like students who were involved in their communities. A majority of my incoming class this year had some leadership role in undergrad, and I don't think it was by coincidence.

My answer pretty much sums up to this: participate in organizations that you are interested in and take an active role in it.

If the club does volunteering, does that count? Or will I have to try to become a president, vice-president, secretary of the club?

If the club does volunteering, does that count? Or will I have to try to become a president, vice-president, secretary of the club?

Well, volunteer experience is always helpful and may show your care and compassion. Leadership is a separate characteristic. Either way, they will help your application, but in my opinion leadership shows a specific quality they are also looking for. I don't think it matters what your position is as long as you actually did something.

the short answer in my opinion is NO. for the most part they just look at gpa/oat to extend an interview slot. However it is a great idea to very involved (leadership position or awards) this way you can talk about them during your interview.

if you have a borderline gpa/oat then having leadership/work experience will definitely help. in my opinion, you'd have to hold office to show that you were commited to your organization.

Optometry clubs help a MASSIVE amount