Will I have enough time to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sara010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm usually a lurker here, but really value everyone's experiences and opinions.

So I'm a military med student so my Step II has to be taken as part of my application & has to be taken early since our applications are due in Oct. Right now I have planned to take Step II in August while studying in July while on my radiology rotation (radiology is something I'm interested in, so won't be able to leave early like everyone else does) and after my medicine sub-i in August. Is this smart? Or is there not enough time/too much stress, etc doing it this way?

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I'm usually a lurker here, but really value everyone's experiences and opinions.

So I'm a military med student so my Step II has to be taken as part of my application & has to be taken early since our applications are due in Oct. Right now I have planned to take Step II in August while studying in July while on my radiology rotation (radiology is something I'm interested in, so won't be able to leave early like everyone else does) and after my medicine sub-i in August. Is this smart? Or is there not enough time/too much stress, etc doing it this way?

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!!

How have you done on step I and shelf exams? If you are a decent test taker, all you need is 1-2 wks of USMLE World, especially since you'll be fresh off your medicine sub-I.

Unfortunately, I am not the world's best test taker; I got a 215 on Step I and I only have the scores from 2 shelves (just took my 3rd) and they were 71 (surgery, first shelf) and 83 (medicine).

I also should qualify that I studied my butt off for Step I and did have a bit of a horrendous morning that day but still makes me think I am not that great of a test taker. These feelings were solidified after my medicine shelf because I used ALL of the UW medicine ?s, MKSAP 4 and 14 (the residents version) + read Step Up 2x which I would guess get most people on SDN a 99 on it... luckily my clinical grades have been great because I really do know what I'm studying; I just can't seem to show it on tests.

I really want to do well on Step II; almost exclusively because I want to prove to myself I can do these standardized tests. :bang:

Thanks!