Will i get in with a 290 OAT and a 3.845 GPA

blainew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i just took the OAT and i didn't do too hot on it. I am wondering whether i will get interviews if i have a good GPA? My GPA is a 3.845 and i have tons of service hours logged and shadowing. My AA was only a 290 and my total science was a 290 as well. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely retake the OAT. I have called multiple schools and this is what they told me. They want to see a score of at least 300 for every subject, a TS of 320 and an AA no less then 310. You have an excellent GPA... you're OAT score should reflect it.
Several schools told me they would accept one score below 300, as long as other credentials outweigh it. Retake the OAT, and write an articulate, sound, and unique essay. Hope this helps.

How did you study for the OAT btw?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll be honest, a score combination like that would make me think that the GPA is inflated and the program wasn't rigorous enough. All the more reason why your OAT needs to be better, it will help justify a GPA that high.

Everyone gets nervous on the test, but even with nervousness, you should still be able to do better with a high GPA like that. What are your thoughts on the test and your preparation? Do you think you will do significantly better if you tried again, or was this your 100% effort already?

Also, can you post the detailed section by section scores? it's one thing to have a 290 AA, but if within that you got a 200 in OCHEM and 400 in Math, things like that will matter.

HOWEVER!!!! For the record, the average AA/TS score for students accepted to IAUPR is in fact.....290/290. ^_^ avg gpa is also 3.1 so you are in very good shape for that school

good luck! :luck::thumbup:

They sound like they really know what they are talking about. It's just that I saw someone post their stats and your GPA is slightly better and they got in. But I do believe in doing the best you can when given the opportunity.

Well the study was tough i thought because i was studying with a bunch of different guys taking different tests. I also haven't taken the second half of O chem or physics so i was trying to teach myself the concepts from those classes. I did horrible on the math cause i ran out of time and just put C on the last 15 questions haha so i only got a 260 on that and i think that really hurt. I went to school at BYU so it's not like the program wasn't rigorous enough i have had to work my butt off to do well. Is it bad to just apply and see what i am told?

OH and thankyou everybody for your advice i really really appreciate it! I do think that i can do alot better. I just don't want to have to retake it if i don't have to. You know how ugly that test is. However that being said i will do what i have to.

I would just apply and see what you're told. Your GPA is stellar in my opinion. There is an ongoing saying on this forum that says, "Never reject yourself." You never know who will take you in.

indeed. BYU's a good school.

i actually think applying is a good idea. it trains you into the process if you don't get in this year. That, and I think it demonstrates dedication to reapply a second year and say hey! i'm back. rejection's not going to get me down!

Also, the best thing you can do right now is start calling up the schools you want to go to. Some schools will immediately tell you outright the score is unacceptable. If you don't want to retake, this call will save you a couple of bucks by not bothering to apply there. Other schools will say they prefer you retake, but that they will look at your app with the high GPA. So yeah....get calling. and don't be shy, for some reason everyone is shy about calling up schools for information. you're going to be a doctor! shyness isn't becoming.

But really.......retake....and if you hated the OAT....well.......NBEO. That is all.