Will I even get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shooma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.6 GPA. I haven't taken the Mcat yet, but I've been studying very, very hard; I've received a consistent 36-38 on the practice tests.

I have my EMT-Basic License.

I have around 120 hours Dr. Shadowing experience in a rural medical clinic.

I received on-the-shadowing training in phlebotomy, testing the blood and urine (this is pretty elaborate), and medical assistance.

I've received the opportunity to shadow multiple doctors at this clinic, so I've seen diversity.

I'm getting a letter of recommendation from the Dr. who owns the clinic (he happens to be the mayor too), the president of my university, the head of the biology department, the head of the psychology department, a physics prof, and chemistry prof.

I believe I have everything required; I'm just missing a solid GPA. I was student regent at my university and it required a lot of time; I got B's the 1st year that I did this. Otherwise, my GPA could've been much higher.

What are my chances at a good medical school? What would be my chances at just getting accepted to any medical school? (Assuming I get a 36-38 on the Mcat).

If I have a chance at a good medical school, what would be realistic for me to apply for? What do you think would be a stretch?

Thanks everyone!

p.s. I'm a physics major.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the rest of you....but I smell a troll!!!

come on...is there really a question about whether you can even get in? Your GPA is slightly above average. Your proposed MCAT is above average. You either have spent zero time investigating medical schools or you are trolling!

I have a 3.6 GPA. I haven't taken the Mcat yet, but I've been studying very, very hard; I've received a consistent 36-38 on the practice tests.

I have my EMT-Basic License.

I have around 120 hours Dr. Shadowing experience in a rural medical clinic.

I received on-the-shadowing training in phlebotomy, testing the blood and urine (this is pretty elaborate), and medical assistance.

I've received the opportunity to shadow multiple doctors at this clinic, so I've seen diversity.

I'm getting a letter of recommendation from the Dr. who owns the clinic (he happens to be the mayor too), the president of my university, the head of the biology department, the head of the psychology department, a physics prof, and chemistry prof.

I believe I have everything required; I'm just missing a solid GPA. I was student regent at my university and it required a lot of time; I got B's the 1st year that I did this. Otherwise, my GPA could've been much higher.

What are my chances at a good medical school? What would be my chances at just getting accepted to any medical school? (Assuming I get a 36-38 on the Mcat).

If I have a chance at a good medical school, what would be realistic for me to apply for? What do you think would be a stretch?

Thanks everyone!

p.s. I'm a physics major.

Not a troll.

I'm curious how my GPA will limit me?

Is it a stretch to try and apply for a top 25 school?

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question, yes. A little research goes a long way. One of the threads on here has a nifty little chart that graphs GPA/MCAT score vs. acceptance rate, you should check it out. Also, a 36+ on the MCAT puts you in the top 98% (something around there, look up 'MCAT' on wikipedia and you can see a table of percentages). Oh, and if you happen to be black/hispanic/some kind 'minority' you'll probably have close to 90% chance of getting into a medical school with 3.6GPA/36+ MCAT, granted you have a proper "Personal Statement" and all that jazz.

Hope that helps.