Will I be at a disadvantage?

CeeEstee0

Nerdfighter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to attend a university in south dakota in the fall. I have lived in SD for the last ten years, and have grown up around this school. I love it. the location, the people, the professors, everything. My question is this: The school is the south dakota school of mines and technology, and they are well-known for science and engineering majors. they are a small school ,(3000 students), but I have toured it, and know it well. They do a lot of research, and they have 150-175 employers at their job fair, and all my friends who went there (none pre-med) had offers in their junior years to work. will I be at a disadvantage graduating from a small school when I apply to medical school? I would hate to leave, as I volunteer at the regional hospital, and have two doctors and a PA i shadow in town. there is also an EMT course i was planning on taking. Provided my MCAT is decent, and my grades high, will medical schools see me as a competative applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alot guys! This is my my first thread at SDN, and you have definatly assuaged my fears. I love the school so much, and would hate to think it would be inadvisable to attend.

Did you guys minor in brevity in college? Your skills are impressive. :)

Thanks alot guys!

No problem.

Did you guys minor in brevity in college? Your skills are impressive. :)

Yes. :)

Actually I'm a senior in HS as well. One of my best friends is attending SDSMT right now and loves it. I've done a little bit of research on it and think its a great school. You won't be at a disadvantage by any means if you go there.

Sorry, I was back at my grandparents, and posted this thread from my mobile phone. Sadly, a two-inch screen doesn't lend itself to spell-checking.

Sorry, I was back at my grandparents, and posted this thread from my mobile phone. Sadly, a two-inch screen doesn't lend itself to spell-checking.

Since I busted your chops I feel I should give you a real answer. Sounds like you have a sweet setup. Like you said, keep your grades up and do well on your MCAT. Throw in a few extracurriculars and maybe some research and everything will fall into place as it should. You sound like you know what's involved. But more importantly, make sure it's what you want to do. Ultimately the most important thing is that you're happy. The fact that you love the college speaks volumes. And if you take advantage of what it has to offer, it will go a long way, regardless of what you choose to do in the future. (Stepping down from soapbox)