I feel scared that I will fail out of premed

redence

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright it’s my senior year of high school, and I’m really interested in the health field. Don’t know what I want to be so I’m doing pre-health. Many people told me including my parents that premed is hard and many people drop out of it. Especially since I’m not the best at chemistry and physics in high school. I did take AP classes and did decent (B+) on them but the only science AP I’m taking is AP Biology and I’m doing fine it it (A- due to the extra credits). My parents tell me that I would have to get all As in order to get into medical school in college and currently I’m struggling to with the 2 current ap classes I’m taking (AP Government and AP Bio). I’m not getting an A in it, I get high 70s on the Bio tests but due to the many extra credits my teacher offersI’m able to pull of an A-. I also take Honors Physics in which I dislike. I’m not a big fan of physics, and the tests I get low 70s mainly because I don’t study for it. I just don’t like physics. I took honors chemistry last year and I somehow ended up with a B average. In high school, I wasn’t a perfectionist, I didn’t always strive to get an A on all classes. I also procrastinated and currently continuing that habit this senior year especially with AP Bio. I find bio interesting but definitely not physics or really chemistry. My overall gpa is a 3.5 and my ACT was around a 23-26 (tbh I didn’t study too much for the ACT/SATs) Should I continue to be interested in the health field?

Members don't see this ad.

Alright it’s my senior year of high school, and I’m really interested in the health field. Don’t know what I want to be so I’m doing pre-health. Many people told me including my parents that premed is hard and many people drop out of it. Especially since I’m not the best at chemistry and physics in high school. I did take AP classes and did decent (B+) on them but the only science AP I’m taking is AP Biology and I’m doing fine it it (A- due to the extra credits). My parents tell me that I would have to get all As in order to get into medical school in college and currently I’m struggling to with the 2 current ap classes I’m taking (AP Government and AP Bio). I’m not getting an A in it, I get high 70s on the Bio tests but due to the many extra credits my teacher offersI’m able to pull of an A-. I also take Honors Physics in which I dislike. I’m not a big fan of physics, and the tests I get low 70s mainly because I don’t study for it. I just don’t like physics. I took honors chemistry last year and I somehow ended up with a B average. In high school, I wasn’t a perfectionist, I didn’t always strive to get an A on all classes. I also procrastinated and currently continuing that habit this senior year especially with AP Bio. I find bio interesting but definitely not physics or really chemistry. My overall gpa is a 3.5 and my ACT was around a 23-26 (tbh I didn’t study too much for the ACT/SATs) Should I continue to be interested in the health field?

What makes you interested in the health field right now? If it interests you, your question shouldn't be "should I be interested in it", it should be "should I pursue the medical field", and the answer is yes. Medical prereqs are difficult, but you seem to be handling your course load currently. You'll be fine, but if you do choose to pursue it, explore different possibilities through shadowing/employment in ug to see which aspects you enjoy.

There's so little correlation between HS and undergrad success lol. And not much between undergrad success and SAT/ACT either. I took AP bio and barely scraped by with a B- only because it was open note (how the hell...) Anyways, then I took bio I in undergrad and killed that with no incoming knowledge (retained nothing from AP bio haha).

Anyways, my point is you're obviously not an idiot but your interest is worrying. Almost anyone (idiots included) can do pre-med as an undergrad if they want it bad enough. No one is going to kill it no matter how smart they are if they are questioning if they are even interested. You're right, the amount of people doing pre-med just falls off a cliff after every year but its mostly because they weren't that interested in it to begin with.

Reactions: 1 users
I was an alphabet student in high school, my transcript was scattered ABCDs. Luckily I had a great mentor early on in college that helped me reinvent myself and showed me the best way to study and set myself up for success. I finished college with a 3.8, and medical school has been fine so far. DON't worry, but DO hit the ground running in college. Go talk to professors early on, experiment with ways to study that fit you the best, use your time wisely and don't procrastinate. If you do all that and still want to be a doctor by the end of college you can make it happen.