Will general publications help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will general publications related to non-scientific studies potentially impact my future med-app?

I know, I know, scientific and peer-reviewed journals are looked the most highly of.

However, I was curious whether this would help in a minor way?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you elucidate a bit as to what you mean by "general publications"?
Yes; newspaper, student doctor network, (perhaps something more popular) like Life magezine, and anything so forth. Generalized publications that do not relate to the scientific/medical field. Besides SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for explaining further.

Sure, they'll help to set your application apart to some degree; unique extracurricular activities are always great to see. However, will those articles help make up for low numbers? No. Will they be nearly as beneficial as peer-reviewed journal articles? No, of course not. Authorship of a journal article demonstrates scientific curiosity, an understanding of the scientific method, a concerted extracurricular effort over time, the ability to read and synthesize literature, an understanding of the publication process, etc. Writing for a newspaper does not. So, they're in totally different realms.

But can having a unique and productive extracurricular interest in publishing help your application in a minor way? Absolutely.

Thank you for explaining further.

Sure, they'll help to set your application apart to some degree; unique extracurricular activities are always great to see. However, will those articles help make up for low numbers? No. Will they be nearly as beneficial as peer-reviewed journal articles? No, of course not. Authorship of a journal article demonstrates scientific curiosity, an understanding of the scientific method, a concerted extracurricular effort over time, the ability to read and synthesize literature, an understanding of the publication process, etc. Writing for a newspaper does not. So, they're in totally different realms.

But can having a unique and productive extracurricular interest in publishing help your application in a minor way? Absolutely.
Thank you for the response, makes sense. :)