This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman and think I got a B+ in statistics. really upset and depressed right now. I've gotten A's and A-s in my other courses and got a B+ in Art last semester. still pissed off. what do I do?! Will it totally wreck my chances? Please be honest. The GPA is probably like a 3.8 rn

Members don't see this ad.

Yea...pretty much game over. I'd start looking at pediatry school at this point.
/Sarcasm

A couple of Bs or even a C won't kill you so long as you have the A's to drown it out. As far as Bs go, B+ is really no big deal. Just don't make it a habit.

That's just my lay opinion. Take it at face value.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a freshman and think I got a B+ in statistics. really upset and depressed right now. I've gotten A's and A-s in my other courses and got a B+ in Art last semester. still pissed off. what do I do?! Will it totally wreck my chances? Please be honest. The GPA is probably like a 3.8 rn
No, but being hyperneurotic will.

Take two of these:
upload_2017-4-28_19-48-0.jpeg

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea...pretty much game over. I'd start looking at pediatry school at this point.
/Sarcasm

A couple of Bs or even a C won't kill you so long as you have the A's to drown it out. As far as Bs go, B+ is really no big deal. Just don't make it a habit.

That's just my lay opinion. Take it at face value.

LOOLL I know it's not gonna kill my chances. It just really sucks because I wanted a goddamn A. I know I'm being stupid lol. Thanks for your help anyway man.

Reactions: 1 user
How can you be so worried about your GPA as to post on here but not check the average matriculant GPA?

Your GPA won't keep you out but being unable to think/help for yourself will

LOOLL I know it's not gonna kill my chances. It just really sucks because I wanted a goddamn A. I know I'm being stupid lol. Thanks for your help anyway man.
Stupid is isn't the word. The right word will probably put me on probation.

How can you be so worried about your GPA as to post on here but not check the average matriculant GPA?

Your GPA won't keep you out but being unable to think/help for yourself will

Ok, but those matriculant GPA students probably have stellar MCAT scores. Im not that great of a test taker, so I wanted my GPA to be as high as possible.

Ok, but those matriculant GPA students probably have stellar MCAT scores. Im not that great of a test taker, so I wanted my GPA to be as high as possible.

Probably???

You still haven't even googled the basic matriculant statistics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's like a 3.6/3.7 right?
3.7 overall
3.64 BCPM
508 MCAT ( barely 80th percentile, so even if you aren't the " best test taker" you aren't entirely screwed, because you don't need a 95th+ score to get into a mid tier school. Although, Im not sure what you mean by "not a good test taker" and Im not sure if you want T20)

3.7 overall
3.64 BCPM
508 MCAT ( barely 80th percentile, so even if you aren't the " best test taker" you aren't entirely screwed, because you don't need a 95th+ score to get into a mid tier school. Although, Im not sure what you mean by "not a good test taker" and Im not sure if you want T20)
I'm not trying for top twenty schools. I just want an average US accredited med school and yeah thanks for alleviating my stress a bit. I hope I'm not screwed haha

It's your freshman year, you're still adjusting to college life, you'll be fine. I had a handful of B+'s and B's on my transcript, ranging from the typical Orgo failure to some humanities courses, still got 7 interviews. Just learn from your mistakes and improve in the coming years, and you'll be fine!

It's your freshman year, you're still adjusting to college life, you'll be fine. I had a handful of B+'s and B's on my transcript, ranging from the typical Orgo failure to some humanities courses, still got 7 interviews. Just learn from your mistakes and improve in the coming years, and you'll be fine!
I wouldn't call a 'B" in orgo a failure ;) It's still really awesome!

Dude if you are worrying about having 2 B+'s, you should look at my grades...

Also, OP, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned- most med schools are a sucker for a nice, steep, upward trend. Get as many A's as you can from now on, and some lower grade from the beginning won't mean diddly.

Also, OP, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned- most med schools are a sucker for a nice, steep, upward trend. Get as many A's as you can from now on, and some lower grade from the beginning won't mean diddly.

Oh yeah. True. Never thought of that. Better to get the B's now than to get 'EM later. Also, what do you think about me graduating early?

I hope so man. I just gotta do well on the MCAT. Your other stats were probably above average tho right. Lemme guess, a 36+ MCAT score?

Poor wording on my part, tried to reference the GPA dip that almost everyone has once they hit their first semester of Orgo.
Hopefully I won't get that. Taking Orgo this summer with the BEST professor, to where he curves really high on everything and an 83+ is an A-. It's not at a community college.

I had 2 C's, 1 B-, and I think 5-7 B's. Accepted everywhere in Florida, including Univ. of Miami where I'll be attending. Few low grades won't hurt you.

I had 2 C's, 1 B-, and I think 5-7 B's. Accepted everywhere in Florida, including Univ. of Miami where I'll be attending. Few low grades won't hurt you.
Are you serious?! Two C's?? Was your MCAT score like 40+ with 10000 research hours?

A few B's are no biggie, your worst enemy is upper division science classe in junior and senior year. Don't let loose.

Are you serious?! Two C's?? Was your MCAT score like 40+ with 10000 research hours?

1 research publication in a strong journal (3rd author). Computer Science major. Student-athlete. 516 MCAT. Leadership positions in research council and student-athlete council. Social fraternity. Anatomy TA.

I stood out pretty well. I had great interviews, I believe. I'm not an underrepresented minority.

Hope this helps, a few B's or C's don't hurt. I also had 2 withdraws from Calc II and Calc III, and retook them. Just don't make Bs/Cs/Ws a consistent thing. My first C was my sophomore year, my 2nd C was the summer as I was applying (last summer).

1 research publication in a strong journal (3rd author). Computer Science major. Student-athlete. 516 MCAT. Leadership positions in research council and student-athlete council. Social fraternity. Anatomy TA.

I stood out pretty well. I had great interviews, I believe. I'm not an underrepresented minority.

Hope this helps, a few B's or C's don't hurt. I also had 2 withdraws from Calc II and Calc III, and retook them. Just don't make Bs/Cs/Ws a consistent thing. My first C was my sophomore year, my 2nd C was the summer as I was applying (last summer).
Those are stellar ECs... I'm hoping to get a publication. I'm president of one club and still waiting on the second one. I also volunteer at a food drive + at an anesthesiologist clinic. Lifeguarding and swimming are also there but not competitively.

Those are stellar ECs... I'm hoping to get a publication. I'm president of one club and still waiting on the second one. I also volunteer at a food drive + at an anesthesiologist clinic. Lifeguarding and swimming are also there but not competitively.

I forgot to mention my the medical school is in my dad's name. Donated like $35 mil or so a decade or two ago. Idk if that helps

(edit this is a joke op, sorry for my dry humor - i'm cramming for finals rn)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I forgot to mention my the medical school is in my dad's name. Donated like $35 mil or so a decade or two ago. Idk if that helps

(edit this is a joke op, sorry for my dry humor - i'm cramming for finals rn)
Lol no problem. It happens

If I can get into med school with a 3.3-3.4 GPA I think you'll be okay. Just remember, grades aren't everything.

Sent from my Moto G Play using SDN mobile

Lol I think I got a 27, all thanks to verbal -_-
There's other stuff factored- volunteering, leadership position, personal statement, etc.
Sent from my Moto G Play using SDN mobile
Yeah I'm getting volunteer hours. Also shadowing, lifeguarding, volunteering at a food drive, etc. and I have one club position and may get another

Hard to tell without mcat scores

No. You'll be fine.

to where he curves really high on everything and an 83+ is an A-
Brah, I hate to break it to you but that's what my Orgo was like too. Still got hit like a freight train. Even with great curves, it's easy to fall behind but most AdComs understand this and the upward-trend GPA on your transcript is usually the best indicator of success. My first three semesters of college were awful but then I started doing a lot better and have maintained a high level of success.
Your other stats were probably above average tho right.
I got a 517 on the MCAT, but it was horrifically unbalanced, glad CARS pulled me way up. My ECs weren't too stellar, a little too heavy on research.
You really gotta calm down, it's not that painful of a stats game as you're making it out to be, just look at the AAMC acceptance percentages of GPA/MCAT combos.

Reactions: 2 users
Brah, I hate to break it to you but that's what my Orgo was like too. Still got hit like a freight train. Even with great curves, it's easy to fall behind but most AdComs understand this and the upward-trend GPA on your transcript is usually the best indicator of success. My first three semesters of college were awful but then I started doing a lot better and have maintained a high level of success.

I got a 517 on the MCAT, but it was horrifically unbalanced, glad CARS pulled me way up. My ECs weren't too stellar, a little too heavy on research.

You really gotta calm down, it's not that painful of a stats game as you're making it out to be, just look at the AAMC acceptance percentages of GPA/MCAT combos.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I have my two finals tomorrow and tuesday and then I'm gonna practice a bit for Orgo. Gonna read the chapters early and stuff. I just don't think I'd be able to realistically score as high as a 517 on the MCAT. Hoping I do though.

I just don't think I'd be able to realistically score as high as a 517 on the MCAT. Hoping I do though.
You've got at least two years before you need to take the MCAT, I wouldn't start beating yourself up about it already. You're going to change quite a lot over the next few years, and anything is possible. [Edit: Forgot you said you were taking a summer Orgo course]

You've got at least two years before you need to take the MCAT, I wouldn't start beating yourself up about it already. You're going to change quite a lot over the next few years, and anything is possible. [Edit: Forgot you said you were taking a summer Orgo course]

Thanks for your advice and help regardless. Just another question, I can make it a separate thread too but wanted to know your advice. What're your thoughts on doing a postbacc? Like what really is a postbacc? How different is it from a Masters?? And I'm going to be graduating early too.

What're your thoughts on doing a postbacc? Like what really is a postbacc? How different is it from a Masters??
There are some situations where doing a postbacc is recommended, particularly if you need to do "GPA repair" by taking a few more UG level courses to prove that you have the academic capability to succeed in medical school. Some postbaccs are just taking additional courses without getting any degree at the end of it, some are "Special Masters Programs" (SMPs) designed for pre-meds seeking to increase their chances at medical school admission and you get a certificate at the end, and Master's programs are their own degree with a required thesis to be written and defended after some additional graduate-level coursework. I'd definitely defer to some of the more experienced posters on here about the differences between programs and what makes each desirable for the prospective applicant, as I'm matriculating right out of UG.

You're definitely not in the realm of needing to consider a postbacc as a freshman with a 3.8 GPA, this is definitely a conversation that you should seek to have in a couple of years time. Also, why are you graduating early (or trying to, at least)?

There are some situations where doing a postbacc is recommended, particularly if you need to do "GPA repair" by taking a few more UG level courses to prove that you have the academic capability to succeed in medical school. Some postbaccs are just taking additional courses without getting any degree at the end of it, some are "Special Masters Programs" (SMPs) designed for pre-meds seeking to increase their chances at medical school admission and you get a certificate at the end, and Master's programs are their own degree with a required thesis to be written and defended after some additional graduate-level coursework. I'd definitely defer to some of the more experienced posters on here about the differences between programs and what makes each desirable for the prospective applicant, as I'm matriculating right out of UG.

You're definitely not in the realm of needing to consider a postbacc as a freshman with a 3.8 GPA, this is definitely a conversation that you should seek to have in a couple of years time. Also, why are you graduating early (or trying to, at least)?

I'm graduating early because I really just want to be done with college. I figure why not? I know what you're thinking. "If you wanna be done with college, medical school is long too" etc. I just wanna be done honestly and then figure that I can do a SMP for a year and in case med school doesn't work out, I can still get a decent paying job before applying again. Thinking ahead a lot haha

I'm graduating early because I really just want to be done with college.
If this is the reason, then be sure not to burn out due to a high courseload. AdComs do not and will not reward you for doing poorly in high-credit semesters, your GPA is your GPA and won't be treated sympathetically if you bite off more than you can chew.

I also 100% do not understand how planning to do a SMP for a year after college would: 1) be a good idea in the first place, and 2) Is any discernible improvement over an additional year of UG lifestyle-wise. Just be sure to put your best foot forward when you decide to apply to medical school (whenever that is) and I wouldn't plan on doing "back-up"-style gap years if you really don't need to boost those portions of your application. Like, by planning on doing an SMP instead of a fourth year of UG you are making a baseless assumption that you will either have a below-average GPA or a below-average MCAT, two things you won't know for sure for at least another year or two.

*Edit*: One addendum, if you are planning to graduate early through the graces of AP credit, make sure that you still take the prerequisite courses at your UG, otherwise you're going to have a really rough time when it comes time to apply to medical school.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are too young to be experiencing this degree of anxiety about an application process you won't even begin for another 2 years (at least).

You are a rising college sophomore. Make friends, skip classes, take spontaneous trips, forget to study for a test now and again and learn to live your life a bit more in the moment. You will be amazed to find that you can still do well in school without spending every waking moment worrying about grades.

You won't regret a few subpar grades years after you graduate, but you will regret all the missed chances at making real, lasting memories and friends.

College should be about exploring all aspects of your identity, don't squander the opportunity to do just that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk