Medical Will an old, unknown misdemeanor revealed in background check cause my medical school admission to be withdrawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got back my background report after being accepted, which unfortunately revealed a misdemeanor I had no idea existed on my record. I honestly did not know the charge was classified as a misdemeanor. Is my acceptance likely to be revoked? Here are the details:

Charge: Driving too fast for conditions

Date: 7 years ago

Details of the event: I was driving the speed limit (35mph) while it was raining. Got into an accident. My fault because I had followed too closely to the person in front of me who had braked. I never had to show for court and paid an $80 fine. I figured it was just a speeding ticket and not classified as a misdemeanor, but that doesn't matter because I should have known about it. No excuses, I messed up.

What I've done since: I emailed the admissions office immediately to let them know about the charge, that I had not intentionally misled them, and also released the background check. I informed them I would be happy to answer any questions about the event. I took ownership over the fact that it was my record and that I should have known better, and that I was understanding if the event would result in the revocation of my acceptance. I have not heard back from them since emailing them late last Friday.

Plan going forward: Accept what will happen either way it goes, continue to be honest about what happened, and try to maintain as much open communication with the admissions office as possible. I don't figure I can do much else.

Any advice? Is my goose cooked? Thank you all for your help.

I’ll answer with a reference to a close friend who was in a similar situation.

She took the necessary steps in obtaining documents and gave them to the admissions office with a brief statement explaining that she unknowingly received a misdemeanor 5 years earlier.

She graduated Med school last month. You’ll be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

A similar scenario happened to one of my advisees when he still had five outstanding acceptance offers. He was speeding at 80 MPH, far over the limit, but no accident resulted. I suggested he immediately contact all five schools and explain the situation. None of them pulled his acceptance. You may not hear back immediately, as committee input may be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.