Will an MD/MBA keep me from the most selective residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating an MD/MBA, but I was wondering if the most selective residencies would dislike MD/MBA students.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm contemplating an MD/MBA, but I was wondering if the most selective residencies would dislike MD/MBA students.

Yep, almost all programs will look down on an MBA. Have fun doing your training in podunksville.

</sarcasm>
:rolleyes:

I was referring to the fact that some doctors might feel that MD/MBAs have "gone over to the dark side."

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they would care so long as you have a good answer as to how you plan to use the MBA and why that residency helps you achieve your future goal.

If it was me, you would have to give me a pretty good reason for getting the MBA. Anything that threatens the medical profession ie.. corporate medicine.. will get you boxed out in a lot of circles.. However, if you have a vision for being the rouge MBA with a way to fix our declining power.. You'll get the 5-start treatment! ;)

Well if the residency program directors are so against MD/MBAs then why do their medical schools offer it?

I think I can vouch for the fact that having an MBA helps to effectively manage a medical practice, run a hospital, and control costs.

I know some MD/MBAs who have matched at competitive residencies who have demonstrated how effectively they will utilize the MBA to provide better healthcare. However I have heard some programs esp the ones at MGH who dislike MD/MBAs.

I think the responses you'll get will vary, depending both on how well you explain why you have the degree and any personal bias whoever you are speaking with may have against clinicians with an interest in the business side of the operation.

I've found that if you can articulate a reasonable plan that incorporates the MBA into your future as a clinician, you will very rarely get any (outward) negative feedback, especially from the residency director types, who are often very curious about people with less common career aspirations. I think the aspect you have to "sell" to them is that you are committed to clinical medicine and are unlikely to jump ship during your training for greener pastures.

By the way, I am training at MGH....

Penn MD/MBA Class of 2005