Will 0 research experiences kill my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missorleans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a M2, so I'm hoping between now and filling out ERAS I'll be able to find something but, I have no research experience to speak of. In undergrad I had a paid job doing stuff in a lab (sterilizing lab wear, mixing growth media), but didn't actually do any research. I feel like my lack of research experience is now locking me out of research in med school, and I don't have a ton of extra time anyway since I'm in a combined degree program (MD/MPH).
Is not having research experience going to kill my application to PM&R residencies, or residencies in general? When do people do research? Would it be better to do research in PM&R? I feel like everyone else in my class is involved in research of some kind and I can't seem to get my foot in the door.
I know I'm being a little neurotic worrying about ERAS this far off, but still.
I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

During you MPH get on a project and perform a Meta-anylisis or create education material related to PM&R. Remember being able to explain why your experience is meaningful is more meaningful than the bullet on the CV. It's all to make you stand out. But for now just pass classes.

I am applying right now with no research experience. Has that been a factor in some programs inviting me to interview? I don't know. Am I getting enough interviews at programs that are high on my list? Yes. Research is one part of a large application and is taken into account to a different degree at different programs. It will not keep you from getting interviews in PM&R if you are a good applicant, but if there are specific programs you have very high on your list you should inquire into how much they desire their applicants to have research experience.