Did step 2 kill my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.dexter18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.
I looking to apply to a PM&R residency this cycle. I just looking at my COMLEX step 2 and was a little shocked by what I saw. I did much worse then step 1. I realize there are a few posts out there about his kind of thing for other specialties, but i couldnt find anything for someone applying to PM&R.
So a little about me.
DO student
step 1 513
step 2 444 (yep. still hurts to read)
average grade in medical school.
Strong research background with 2 publications one of which I am the primary author.
Couldn't say for certain if I have stellar LOR or not. I would bet that they are good though.

Do any residency directors out there or those with experience dealing with applicants have any application advice? Should i aim for a certain number of prams to apply to or at this point do i just have break the bank and apply to every program possible?
Any thoughts or wisdom would be appreciated. Still a little shell shocked and having a hard time seeing the path ahead.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I've known applicants with failed steps who have matched. If you have good enough LOR's and PS, definitely not game over. I'd strongly recommend an audition at a program you are sincerely interested. The truth is that is better to have one PD who believes in you than twenty who kinda like you. You need to be ranked highly by one program to match. Obviously...being ranked high by multiple programs allow you to be have more options...but I'd go out of your way to win at least one PD over. But I would apply broadly.

Last edited:
I've known applicants with failed steps who have matched. If you have good enough LOR's and PS, definitely not game over. I'd strongly recommend an audition at a program you are sincerely interested. The truth is that is better to have one PD who believes in you than twenty who kinda like you. You need to be ranked highly by one program to match. Obviously...being ranked high by multiple programs allow you to be have more options...but I'd go out of your way to win at least one PD over. But I would apply broadly.
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the insight.