Wife of medical student who failed Step 1 twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

florence1990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
In need of some support/advice on how to handle the stress of being married to someone who has failed the step 1 twice (passed the 3rd time with decent score) and is currently studying for Step 2 (written and practicial). I know I have a bit of a control problem anyway but this is driving me to the point where I am not sure what to do.

I am pregnant with our first child and am due right before he finds out if he matched. It is now beginning of November and he has one interview offer for a psych residency. I feel like I am going to break if he does not get any more interviews or if he doesn't match. We are both in debt. I am currently the only one working. On top of this, he does not seem as motivated to study as other med students I have seen in the past. Is there anyway for me to help him? Is there anyone out there with any advice on how I can stay calm? Other options besides residencies in terms of paying off debt?

Members don't see this ad.

There are tons of jobs in research, consulting, insurance, etc., that people can get out of medical school WITHOUT doing residency (just need the degree). I've seen very high salary positions ($200K+) when I was looking into these things out of curiosity, though I'm not sure if this kind of salary would be for people AFTER residency or not. I'm not really knowledgeable on these things, but I'm sure someone can help with some guidance.

Check this link out:
https://www.aamc.org/cim/career/alternativecareers/

Last edited:
just be supportive and let them know you are in their corner....trying to push them could make it worse. Seek some other counseling for your own stress. Remember a marriage is worth more than any of this, keep your focus on each other