Wife left me for medical school, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolkat712

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I was in a happy marriage and my wife got accepted into medical school and as soon as she did she left me. I waited a few years and she didn’t come back so I married another girl and was married for 4 years and then she decided to want to do medical school and I was supportive of whatever she wanted and soon as she got in she also left me and files for divorce.

My question is why did these girls do that to me? Also I have noticed a lot of girls who go to medical school end up leaving their spouse even if the guy was tearing them good. My question is do all girls do this when they get into medical school and is there a chance these girls would ever come back to me or were these girls just super shallow to leave somebody just because of school and they told me they are gonna marry somebody else instead and said all kinds of crazy stuff which confused me so I am depressed now and I hate girls that do medical school because of the bad experience I had with them because I got left twice by 2 different girls because of this. Am I just being not understanding? Or were those girls being super shallow?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very unfortunate situation and I'm sorry you had to go through this not once, but twice. Obviously there is much more at play here that none of us on the internet will ever be able to know or tell you about since we don't know you as a person, and we don't know those women as people. I can tell you though that getting in to medical school is likely not the sole reason these women left, although it is weird that it happened twice. I would start trying to let go of these previous relationships because for whatever reason, they didnt work then, they likely aren't going to repair themselves now if they already made the decision to leave. Try focusing on moving forward and working on yourself! Get a therapist, talk about these issues, and focus on treating your mental health because although it's cliche, it's true. You can't make someone else happy if you aren't satisfied with yourself first. I wish you the best

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While I'm very sorry for your situation OP, this question isn't really relevant for people in medical school. I'm moving this to Spouses and Partners.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I was in a happy marriage and my wife got accepted into medical school and as soon as she did she left me. I waited a few years and she didn’t come back so I married another girl and was married for 4 years and then she decided to want to do medical school and I was supportive of whatever she wanted and soon as she got in she also left me and files for divorce.

My question is why did these girls do that to me? Also I have noticed a lot of girls who go to medical school end up leaving their spouse even if the guy was tearing them good. My question is do all girls do this when they get into medical school and is there a chance these girls would ever come back to me or were these girls just super shallow to leave somebody just because of school and they told me they are gonna marry somebody else instead and said all kinds of crazy stuff which confused me so I am depressed now and I hate girls that do medical school because of the bad experience I had with them because I got left twice by 2 different girls because of this. Am I just being not understanding? Or were those girls being super shallow?
Before someone gives a well-thought out response this seems like a troll post from a disgruntled medical student. It's stated too matter of factly IMO.

In short, medical school is a huge time committment and they both felt you wouldn't be the best support for them because a) you lacked the perspective or didn't seem serious about their education or b.) you required attn they could no longer provide. I personally thought I'd end up with a physician spouse, but ended up finding someone in another field. They thing though is that she's absorbed in the field and loves it (i.e. it occupies her). If this really happened, sorry for your situation though and my apologies.

Last edited:

first - i am sorry you are upset, you will NOT find definite answers here, because we do not know you, or them. You need to go to a therapist and talk this out.
second - even though it is hypothetically possible that both of them were just "gold diggers", but statistically thats probably not the case. Plus i do not know a single gold digger who would go through the pain of premed, MCAT, medical school, 3 board exams, residency just to find a better husband? yeah... hell no :). hahahha.
third - you are saying you were in a happy marriage, and you gave them everything (and wtf does "tearing them good" even mean???). But to me that just shows lack of insight.

now, i do NOT know what happened to you, and who is the "bad guy" here. But i will tell you why i left both of my boyfriends (lived with both), one for undergraduate degree, one for medical school, - and take whatever you want out of this content. i am NOT saying that you are like my boyfriends, i am NOT. but maybe at the very least it will show you that it is never black and white, and will encourage you to go talk to someone.

BOTH of my boyfriends would probably tell you that we were "happy", and they were supportive, and i am a b**** who didnt appreciate them... BUT: boyfriend 1 - drank 6 pack a day, smoked in the house (i begged him not to, but "it is my house i will do whatever i want). when he was drunk, - he was disgusting but happy/ok mood. when he was sober, he was angry... he never hit me, but he threw things (heavy things) at our dogs to the point that they cried (i tried to stop him every time, but it was hard to predict). I was scared. I was expected to perform all "duties" on request... My personal desires were not important. I begged, i cried, i WANTED things to work, but it was his way or the highway. He had a blue collar job, and he was nagging me that i am too smart for him, and i will leave him the second i had a chance. Which is exactly what i did,, - as soon as i could move for college i packed up my animals and got the HELL out.

second boyfriend - attractive, charismatic, comes from money. Never did anything with it, never went to college, but had a certain flair of entitlement. about him. Worked as a shop assistant in a store, but his parents also gave him money sometimes. he was an addict (NOT in recovery). didnt do anything around the house (i would come home after 16 hour shift, to catch 3 hours of sleep and go back to school, and he couldnt even throw pizza in the oven for me to come home to.... because he was too busy watching TV).... He put himself first any chance he got, - i had 103 degree fever for 2 days, still went to work (hard to get time off), and to school, id come home at 10 pm,he is already in bed because "he is tired",and he hadnt even walk the dog or made me any food...... he was beyond selfish. Plus, -i was not allowed to be better than him in anything. When i won a chess game, he wouldnt talk to me for the rest of the night. he always pointed out that he came from privilege and i didnt, and how my bad taste in music is not my fault becase i wasnt exposed to finer things growing up, the way he did (i have 3 degrees, plus medical school, speak 3 language, play 2 different musical instruments..... He dropped out of community college after 1 semester because "school wasnt for him). He was racist (but didnt see it this way, he thought that all his racial jokes making fun of peoples accents and skin color and hilarious..... - i am an immigrant). Anyway....i couldnt afford living alone, so i sucked it up. Till i got into medical school.... But if you asked him - he was a perfect supportive boyfriend and i didnt appreciate him.

so, the bottom line- i dont buy this "i was perfect and they were bad women" crap. No way. It is never that simple. I am not saying you are a bad guy - not at all. Maybe you were just wrong for each other. This is the thing, - the MOST IMPORTANT thing. I realized in both of those situations that i had an opportunity to become this one person, - help people, break out of my bad "poor family" history and actually accomplish something. Grow personally and professionally, and i realized that a could NEVER become a person i wanted to become in that environment. So i had to make a choice, - myself or my relationships. And i chose myself.

Reactions: 4 users
first - i am sorry you are upset, you will NOT find definite answers here, because we do not know you, or them. You need to go to a therapist and talk this out.
second - even though it is hypothetically possible that both of them were just "gold diggers", but statistically thats probably not the case. Plus i do not know a single gold digger who would go through the pain of premed, MCAT, medical school, 3 board exams, residency just to find a better husband? yeah... hell no :). hahahha.
third - you are saying you were in a happy marriage, and you gave them everything (and wtf does "tearing them good" even mean???). But to me that just shows lack of insight.

now, i do NOT know what happened to you, and who is the "bad guy" here. But i will tell you why i left both of my boyfriends (lived with both), one for undergraduate degree, one for medical school, - and take whatever you want out of this content. i am NOT saying that you are like my boyfriends, i am NOT. but maybe at the very least it will show you that it is never black and white, and will encourage you to go talk to someone.

BOTH of my boyfriends would probably tell you that we were "happy", and they were supportive, and i am a b**** who didnt appreciate them... BUT: boyfriend 1 - drank 6 pack a day, smoked in the house (i begged him not to, but "it is my house i will do whatever i want). when he was drunk, - he was disgusting but happy/ok mood. when he was sober, he was angry... he never hit me, but he threw things (heavy things) at our dogs to the point that they cried (i tried to stop him every time, but it was hard to predict). I was scared. I was expected to perform all "duties" on request... My personal desires were not important. I begged, i cried, i WANTED things to work, but it was his way or the highway. He had a blue collar job, and he was nagging me that i am too smart for him, and i will leave him the second i had a chance. Which is exactly what i did,, - as soon as i could move for college i packed up my animals and got the HELL out.

second boyfriend - attractive, charismatic, comes from money. Never did anything with it, never went to college, but had a certain flair of entitlement. about him. Worked as a shop assistant in a store, but his parents also gave him money sometimes. he was an addict (NOT in recovery). didnt do anything around the house (i would come home after 16 hour shift, to catch 3 hours of sleep and go back to school, and he couldnt even throw pizza in the oven for me to come home to.... because he was too busy watching TV).... He put himself first any chance he got, - i had 103 degree fever for 2 days, still went to work (hard to get time off), and to school, id come home at 10 pm,he is already in bed because "he is tired",and he hadnt even walk the dog or made me any food...... he was beyond selfish. Plus, -i was not allowed to be better than him in anything. When i won a chess game, he wouldnt talk to me for the rest of the night. he always pointed out that he came from privilege and i didnt, and how my bad taste in music is not my fault becase i wasnt exposed to finer things growing up, the way he did (i have 3 degrees, plus medical school, speak 3 language, play 2 different musical instruments..... He dropped out of community college after 1 semester because "school wasnt for him). He was racist (but didnt see it this way, he thought that all his racial jokes making fun of peoples accents and skin color and hilarious..... - i am an immigrant). Anyway....i couldnt afford living alone, so i sucked it up. Till i got into medical school.... But if you asked him - he was a perfect supportive boyfriend and i didnt appreciate him.

so, the bottom line- i dont buy this "i was perfect and they were bad women" crap. No way. It is never that simple. I am not saying you are a bad guy - not at all. Maybe you were just wrong for each other. This is the thing, - the MOST IMPORTANT thing. I realized in both of those situations that i had an opportunity to become this one person, - help people, break out of my bad "poor family" history and actually accomplish something. Grow personally and professionally, and i realized that a could NEVER become a person i wanted to become in that environment. So i had to make a choice, - myself or my relationships. And i chose myself.
I see what your saying, ya if the guy was alcoholic that’s understandable to not be with him. I don’t do drugs or anything like that but the weird thing is one of the girls told me that once she is done with medical school then she will “get back with me” and she can’t until then because she has self control problems. So she ignores all my messages right now because she claimed that she is waiting until she is done which seems like it could be true but also seems like a lie because why can’t she just hang out sometimes or talk on the phone or something while waiting to finish? Do girls actually have some kind of self control problem or was she lying?

This is a very unfortunate situation and I'm sorry you had to go through this not once, but twice. Obviously there is much more at play here that none of us on the internet will ever be able to know or tell you about since we don't know you as a person, and we don't know those women as people. I can tell you though that getting in to medical school is likely not the sole reason these women left, although it is weird that it happened twice. I would start trying to let go of these previous relationships because for whatever reason, they didnt work then, they likely aren't going to repair themselves now if they already made the decision to leave. Try focusing on moving forward and working on yourself! Get a therapist, talk about these issues, and focus on treating your mental health because although it's cliche, it's true. You can't make someone else happy if you aren't satisfied with yourself first. I wish you the best
First of all are you in medical school or have finished? Also have you ever been married?

Before someone gives a well-thought out response this seems like a troll post from a disgruntled medical student. It's stated too matter of factly IMO.

In short, medical school is a huge time committment and they both felt you wouldn't be the best support for them because a) you lacked the perspective or didn't seem serious about their education or b.) you required attn they could no longer provide. I personally thought I'd end up with a physician spouse, but ended up finding someone in another field. They thing though is that she's absorbed in the field and loves it (i.e. it occupies her). If this really happened, sorry for your situation though and my apologies.
Calm down and stop insulting me, I just made a post to find answers to a problem I’m going through.
Don’t be disrespectful plz especially if your trying to be a doctor, learn how to respect first

• Haha
  • Love
I see what your saying, ya if the guy was alcoholic that’s understandable to not be with him. I don’t do drugs or anything like that but the weird thing is one of the girls told me that once she is done with medical school then she will “get back with me” and she can’t until then because she has self control problems. So she ignores all my messages right now because she claimed that she is waiting until she is done which seems like it could be true but also seems like a lie because why can’t she just hang out sometimes or talk on the phone or something while waiting to finish? Do girls actually have some kind of self control problem or was she lying?
i love how you are asking "do girls actually have some kind of self control problem?"... Dude..... personality traits are not menses.....

Calm down and stop insulting me, I just made a post to find answers to a problem I’m going through.
Don’t be disrespectful plz especially if your trying to be a doctor, learn how to respect first
look, you will NOT find answers here. We dont know you or them. go to a therapist and they will help you break things down.

Reactions: 1 user
look, you will NOT find answers here. We dont know you or them. go to a therapist and they will help you break things down.
Ya I just wanted to see if anybody else was going through something similar with regard to medical school and I might find answers here if you don’t have one then that’s fine but somebody else might.

i love how you are asking "do girls actually have some kind of self control problem?"... Dude..... personality traits are not menses.....
I don’t understand what your trying to imply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I just wanted to see if anybody else was going through something similar with regard to medical school and I might find answers here if you don’t have one then that’s fine but somebody else might.
good luck. Honestly you looking for an insight into your very serious marital problems on an anonymous public forum without any personal details shows me that you definitely need to get some work done with a professional to get to the bottom of this. NO ONE here will give you real answers. you are wasting your time.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t understand what your trying to imply?
i am saying while anatomical things such as menses are someone universal among females (even though not really), personality traits are NOT. we are all different. its like asking if guys have self control problems.... it is a PERSONALITY TRAIT. they differ among people. You will never find two people who are absolutely the same.

good luck. Honestly you looking for an insight into your very serious marital problems on an anonymous public forum without any personal details shows me that you definitely need to get some work done with a professional to get to the bottom of this. NO ONE here will give you real answers. you are wasting your time.
Look, lol I just want to see what other people have to say that may be going through something similar. It helps to talk about it and see people’s perspectives when making decisions about things…

i am saying while anatomical things such as menses are someone universal among females (even though not really), personality traits are NOT. we are all different. its like asking if guys have self control problems.... it is a PERSONALITY TRAIT. they differ among people. You will never find two people who are absolutely the same.
Ya that is true but also I have seen MANY woman leave their spouses for medical school and this hasn’t happened only to me. I know a handful of people who were married and lived with the girl even and as soon as they got into medical school, the girl just left them never to be heard from again. The girl I was with said it’s something about self control and it’s some kind of girl problem and I don’t understand what that even means since I’m not a girl

Ya that is true but also I have seen MANY woman leave their spouses for medical school and this hasn’t happened only to me. I know a handful of people who were married and lived with the girl even and as soon as they got into medical school, the girl just left them never to be heard from again. The girl I was with said it’s something about self control and it’s some kind of girl problem and I don’t understand what that even means since I’m not a girl
Yeah that’s BS. There is no such thing as a “girl self control problem”. There are girls who have self control problem, there are guys who have self control problem. My DOG has a self control problem . But it’s not a girl thing . They either weren’t happy to start with, but couldn’t or didn’t want to leave for practical reasons, or it’s like what I wrote in my last paragraph.

Anyway, best of luck . I gotta go .
Ya your acting weird kinda how those girls act when this topic starts getting discussed… weird. Come to think of it you also left a guy for medical school smh

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Ya your acting weird kinda how those girls act when this topic starts getting discussed… weird. Come to think of it you also left a guy for medical school smh
Dude . I have a life hahaha . I can’t just be sitting in a forum chatting with ppl all day . And I was very nice so far. Don’t be like this . It’s not attractive at all . And disrespectful

Dude . I have a life hahaha . I can’t just be sitting in a forum chatting with ppl all day . And I was very nice so far. Don’t be like this . It’s not attractive at all . And disrespectful
Ok your being really disrespectful plz don’t comment on my topic again

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
  • Haha
I could sense the misogyny emanating from a mile away in his initial post. Ya'll are just wasting your time trying to level with him. OP, either ask a question SDN can answer for you or go to Reddit/Redpill and troll there. This is a forum to answer questions medical professionals have.

I think this thread needs to be locked IMHO.

Last edited:
  • Love
Status
Not open for further replies.