4th year Medical school Wife

Kate08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi my husband and I have been married almost 10 years and he is currently in his 4th year of medical school. We have two boys under 3 and I'm a stay at home mom. I suffered from severe depression in my last pregnancy and attempted suicide. I was put on 72 hr watch then released while pregnant.

I still suffer from chronic severe depression which I'm taking medicine for.

So my husband is doing long rounds and studying when not at the hospital for tests. I am used to never seeing him, and not ever getting help with the kids, its been normal for 3 years but in this 4th year my husband is complaining a lot about how I don't understand what he goes through, how I don't appreciate him. The truth is I do appreciate him and I tell him so often. He keeps getting mad at me for things that he never got mad at before. Like the laundry or the dishes. He gets mad when I plan on doing those things and then didn't get to them EVEN when he says he didn't need it specifically but that it should have gotten done?!

He also keeps telling me that I don't do much conpared to him, that he works so hard and never gets a chance to relax and I do. I don't feel like I get a break I have two under 3 and my husband has me doing things for him constantly. I battle with depression daily somedays I'm more productive than others but I would never say my job of being a sahm is easy, I'm a single parent pretty much taking care of the kids the house food cooking cleaning paying bills going to the bank... I guess I just dont know what I'm doing wrong. I really just can't have a perfectly spotless house 24/7 and home cooked meals and never forget things... I just dont understand. Can anyone relate to this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry for your troubles, are you speaking with a professional about these issues?

Reactions: 3 users
I am not a doctor...but your husband's behavior seems like my husband's behavior when he gets "depressed" (not a clinical diagnosis but a description...but it could be clinical depression) due to work stress. Not that I have much advice, you can't just un-depress someone. I just do the best I can and I remember that for my husband at least, it usually passes after some time (weeks, months, however long the stress lasts). Keep open communication as much as possible and NEVER say hurtful things you'll regret. I'm sorry.

(I also should say my husband isn't in the medical field so I can't offer advice for being the spouse of a doctor specifically)

Edit: holy moly I just realized how old this thread is. Sorry for digging it up from the grave. I didn't realize this forum moves a little slow