Widener Univeristy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuscleHead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Widener's DPT program? I just heard from them today and am interested to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of their program.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No first hand experience with visiting Widener, but I did request a brochure awhile back. After looking through the 3 year curriculum plan I was not very impressed. I felt as if they placed more emphasis in the first semester on the classes such as "the DPT in practice" or "the roles of PT", courses which in the first semester are the 1-2 credits rather than placing an emphasis on anatomy. Just my 0.02 but I decided not to apply.

Good luck to you though! :) Would be interested to see if other people have more experience with Widener (or live nearby there in PA).

No first hand experience with visiting Widener, but I did request a brochure awhile back. After looking through the 3 year curriculum plan I was not very impressed. I felt as if they placed more emphasis in the first semester on the classes such as "the DPT in practice" or "the roles of PT", courses which in the first semester are the 1-2 credits rather than placing an emphasis on anatomy. Just my 0.02 but I decided not to apply.

Good luck to you though! :) Would be interested to see if other people have more experience with Widener (or live nearby there in PA).
"Foundational Sciences I & II" are in the first semester. gross anatomy (Foundational Sciences III) isnt until the spring but i guess that actually makes sense if those 1st 2 courses are required.

Widener isnt my top choice (its actually my last at this point, mainly bc of location), but its the only school i've heard from at this point. the other schools are giving me a hard time bc i did pretty poorly on my GRE's...but my grades are sick. its annoying

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on Widener! I applied but haven't heard anything yet.

I have asked around to see what current PTs think of Widener and in general, it seems they have a decent reputation locally. I don't love the location either but if you are into community health then Widener has some nice features. They just opened a pro-bono PT clinic in an old estate next to campus. I think that there are opportunities to shape your experience. When I attended the open house they discussed how some students are able to get a second degree, such as an MBA, through strategically choosing electives and adding an extra class to the course load. The tuition is reasonable and if there is a way to get a PT and an MBA for the same price then the value is exceptional.

Right now I've only heard from Drexel and would probably choose them over Widener (if I get in) but I seriously have to consider price! I finally have my interview with Temple today (rescheduled from last month due to swine flu)!

I'd love to hear what you decide!

As for the placement of anatomy, some schools, i.e. Arcadia, feel strongly that anatomy should not be taught in the early part of the program. Their line of reasoning was that students are too distracted at the start of the program and after a few months they are really genuinely excited about anatomy, have more context and are less distracted by classmates, new environment, etc. and therefore can really get the most out of the anatomy sessions. Not sure what Widener's philosophy is.

Congrats on Widener! I applied but haven't heard anything yet.

I have asked around to see what current PTs think of Widener and in general, it seems they have a decent reputation locally. I don't love the location either but if you are into community health then Widener has some nice features. They just opened a pro-bono PT clinic in an old estate next to campus. I think that there are opportunities to shape your experience. When I attended the open house they discussed how some students are able to get a second degree, such as an MBA, through strategically choosing electives and adding an extra class to the course load. The tuition is reasonable and if there is a way to get a PT and an MBA for the same price then the value is exceptional.

Right now I've only heard from Drexel and would probably choose them over Widener (if I get in) but I seriously have to consider price! I finally have my interview with Temple today (rescheduled from last month due to swine flu)!

I'd love to hear what you decide!
awesome.

I interviewed at drexel...and im going there if i get in. again, the GRE's are hurting me. i havent even heard a word from temple. i guess these schools are putting more emphasis on the GRE's than i originally though.

thanks for the info on widener. good luck to you. we may be classmates next year.

How did your Temple interview go? Although I interview on the 29th. :D In your opinion, how did they compare with Drexel's program and vibe?

Can anyone else offer any insight on Widener's program?

Reactions: 1 user