Why to take postbacc??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand for someone who had to take med school requirements. But for someone with Bio or Chem major and already having 128 credits... how much difference would a postbac program really make GPA-wise? AMCAS will still count all, undergrad and postbacc GPAs, together.

Members don't see this ad.

I just spoke with my local admissions director and she told me that postbacc grades would be looked at separately from undergrad grades. Postbac gpa is not calculated with undergrad gpa. She suggested I enroll in a formal program vs. just take postbac classes on my own, and apply with a strong postbac gpa.

ETA. She said my MCAT scores were fine and I shouldn't have to retake. Just show some strong upper level grades that will demonstrate I can handle the med curriculum.

Orange Blossom said:
I just spoke with my local admissions director and she told me that postbacc grades would be looked at separately from undergrad grades. Postbac gpa is not calculated with undergrad gpa. She suggested I enroll in a formal program vs. just take postbac classes on my own, and apply with a strong postbac gpa.

ETA. She said my MCAT scores were fine and I shouldn't have to retake. Just show some strong upper level grades that will demonstrate I can handle the med curriculum.

Orange blossom, what were your stats?? are you planning on applying to Univ or Kentucky?

Members don't see this ad :)
Orange Blossom said:

That isn't how AMCAS does it, though. Post bac classes are indeed a separate item, but they get averaged into your overall undergraduate GPA. If you take masters-level classes or higher, those are totally separate.

windycitycassie said:
That isn't how AMCAS does it, though. Post bac classes are indeed a separate item, but they get averaged into your overall undergraduate GPA. If you take masters-level classes or higher, those are totally separate.

Thanks for the info. I'll ask her about that.

Booney, I have a 2.98 undergrad and a 25 MCAT. UL's average is 27.

Creightonite said:
I understand for someone who had to take med school requirements. But for someone with Bio or Chem major and already having 128 credits... how much difference would a postbac program really make GPA-wise? AMCAS will still count all, undergrad and postbacc GPAs, together.

You can think of it in terms of:

1) GPA Trends: If you a low undergrad GPA, doing 1-2 years of post-bacc and maintaining a 4.0 as a full-time student looks great. Similar effect to doing well in your jr/sr year if your fresh/soph years weren't too hot.

2) Overall GPA: Again, if you had a low GPA, post-bacc can bring it up. Obviously it may not be dramatic but there are plenty of science courses still left despite being a bio or chem major to boost the science GPA. Can also do non-science to boost overall GPA and non-science GPA.

3) Keeping Busy: Regardless of GPA, it shows that you are staying busy and not slacking off. This is one option, where as you can do other things like volunteer, and do research, etc.

You are somewhat incorrect in terms of undergrad and post-bacc being counted together. True that post-bacc adds to your OVERALL undergrad GPA, but AMCAS/med schools are able to differentiate between the two. It is up to the school to emphasize which and it is mostlikely by a case-by-case basis. For the most part if a school screens GPA's, they will look at your overall undergrad which should include post-bacc. While non-screening schools can look at whatever they want, depending on the application. For example if a person had some valid personal challenge as an undergrad that kept them from getting a high GPA, but proved they can do well in post-bacc, then clearly post-bacc helps considerably. Ultimately post-bacc must be supported by other aspects including but not limited to MCAT scores.