Why so quiet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thread has definately died down since the beginning rush from the interview invites (ah those were fun times, eh? I still like the "Heisman.").

So how is everyone else doing? Getting near the end of interviewing? I am done interviewing, and am giving a 2nd look next week. Its probably the only 2nd look I'll do. Just because I'm getting burnt out (although I'm enjoying my 4th year) of the whole interview process... My ROL will be around 7-8 programs long... shorter than I thought but hopefully I'll land somewhere...

Progress report on anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Quinn
Thanks for still thinking about the Heisman...makes me feel good
Yes, why is everyone so quiet. I think we need feedback now more than ever.
I thought the interview process would make evaluating and ranking programs easier. The more I go to, the more I get confused as to which program I like and which to rank #1, still don't know - I just like everyone about the same. Most residents seem happy and attending seem nice - I guess that comes with EM, we're all cool people I guess (at least I think I am). I haven't loved everything about 1 program either. I need help. Please give feedback on the following programs in this thread or a new one if you have interview there, know someone there, or have some other type of inside info.
Thanks.

Morristown
Jefferson
Albert Einstein/Beth Israel in NYC
MCPH (Drexel)
Jacobi/Montefiore
UConn
Cooper in Camden
UMass
BI Deaconess
Madigan/UW
UC Irvine

Thanks everyone and good luck.
Please write we all need the input!
Remember this is anonymous...log in with mult IDs if you think that someone will figure you out...

I wish I could help you Blackcat, but... well, I didn't apply to any of those programs. Hopefully someone else can help you out, considering like 50 people read this thread but you and I are the only ones posting.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah...i've kind of given up on this site.
the degree to which people view but don't post, or are afraid to write anything critical about a program just reinforces to me that med students are one of the lamest cohorts around.

anyway, gotta run to a lecture
i'll write about umass and BI shortly.

Originally posted by overnight
yeah...i've kind of given up on this site.
the degree to which people view but don't post, or are afraid to write anything critical about a program just reinforces to me that med students are one of the lamest cohorts around.

anyway, gotta run to a lecture
i'll write about umass and BI shortly.

Why are people afraid to write somthing critical about a program? Do schools actually browse SDN and try to find out who you are so they can reject you? i surely doubt that. I've read many posts from medstudents badmouthing their own school or undergrads badmouthing a bunch of schools they've interviewed at. ... why is everyone being so tight?

There is a "decision matrix" on the student pages of medscape. It won't give you any information about the programs, but it might help you order your thoughts on the programs.

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I wish I could help you Blackcat, but... well, I didn't apply to any of those programs. Hopefully someone else can help you out, considering like 50 people read this thread but you and I are the only ones posting.

Q

I was rejected by every single one of those programs - didn't make the points at Madigan, and Rich Shih at Morristown is ADAMANTLY against FMG's - he'll take someone out of med school and OUT OF MEDICINE for 8 years before an FMG.

Except Jacobi - see my "flip side" thread about NYC programs that don't bother to reject you.

So, unlike mindless blather, I didn't say anything. Well, until now, at least...

I can tell you where I stand. The more I travel, the more I get tired of it. I've done nine interviews now, have cancelled two of my original twelve, and have one remaining.

My interviews so far have been at East Carolina, West Virginia, Jacksonville, Wake Forest, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Orlando, Palmetto Richland, and Kentucky. I have Ohio State yet to go.

I have my list already formulated. I probably won't be able to do any second looks, as I have my acting internship to do between now and rank deadline day. But I plan to let my top three program directors know that I'm ranking them highly. Don't know what else I can do. If I rank 10 programs and don't match, hell, I'll just look for a job writing for a newspaper somewhere. It's not worth the stress trying to play this stupid match game.

okay blackcat
lets see if this helps...also, lets see if we can get others involved.

Morristown-very nice ED, things run well, I had a bad feeling when I left, not sure why or about what, just a bad feeling about residents. PD at times seemed like a used car salesman.

Jefferson-'kindler-gentler' residency. Decent facilities, nice people, i think everyone is happy there. However, never impressed by the residents. Also, many Jefferson students have spoken negatively about the program.

Drexel-the residents work long hours. They have a very strong ultrasound program. The PD is very nice and the chief of the dept is outstanding. The rotate through 5 different hospitals so they can get exposure to all different types of practice. Good reputation in philly.

Camden-****ty place to live, but residents can live in Philadelphia or just outside of camden. The program is directed by a very strong woman, Dr. Stahmer. The ultrasound program is probably the strongest that I have seen, rivaled only by Drexel. Off service rotations seem shady. Residents seemed to like it. Despite its location, the facilities were not that bad.

UConn-living in Hartford can't be all that bad. Happy residents, good hours, no ultrasound. They integrate peds into every month. Again, like Jefferson, residents didn't seem that strong.

UMass-Great PD, the best I've seen around. He really seems to care for his residents. Helicopter - can't beat Umass. Residents work long 12 hours shifts. The volume I think may make it difficult to teach and get good workups done. Worchester is not that bad of a place to live.

BMC-going next week but from what I hear it is the Jacobi/LA county of Boston. Too busy. I know other residents on oter services that don't have good things to say about it, for what that is worth.

BI-Deaconess-Nicest facilities. Peter Rosen is there. If he knows you and likes you, you can get a job anywhere. Awesome option of a 4th year while getting paid 100K which allows you to do research or do whatever you'd like. My interactions were a little iffy with the PD otherwise everyone else seemed really nice. I've heard from others that although they are new, they already have the mentality that we are Harvard and we know it. I didn't get that while I was there.

Others please write about these and other programs. Otherwise, you are all lame!!!

I'm responding as the voice of those not in their 4th year of medical school . . .

but perhaps it is possible that the "views" of this thread are not all 4th years and therefore have little to offer in your quest for information on these programs. It would seem then that those of us on here are not "weak-minded medical students" but perhaps interested in the speciality and listening to the rest of you discuss your programs.

But, you should keep insulting everyone who does not post, that really stimulates great conversation.

Thanks

Originally posted by Coleman
I'm responding as the voice of those not in their 4th year of medical school . . .

but perhaps it is possible that the "views" of this thread are not all 4th years and therefore have little to offer in your quest for information on these programs. It would seem then that those of us on here are not "weak-minded medical students" but perhaps interested in the speciality and listening to the rest of you discuss your programs.

But, you should keep insulting everyone who does not post, that really stimulates great conversation.

Thanks

Got you to post, didn't it? :)

mike

I'm debating whether to say really bad things (a la the Hennepin sucks thread) about the places I really, really liked or vice versa. I wonder if I really talk up a place everyone else who interviewed there will move it up on their rank list and then they won't take me. Legitimate concern, or is that a little anal? I'm not concerned about the residency directors finding out I don't like their program, I'm concerned about talking you guys into the ones I like!

Anyway, regarding Irvine, (the only one on your list that I've interviewed at), it seems like a reasonably strong program. Its location is popular, ensuring reasonably strong residents and faculty. The US and the teaching seemed to be strong points. I didn't feel like I was a good fit with the residents, thought the physical plant sucked, hated the traffic and cost of living, and so won't be ranking them high. Regarding Madigan, they're good enough not to interview me so I assume they're pretty strong. I wouldn't have gone anyway though due to the commute in Seattle traffic.

desperado, i think your reasons/concerns for not stating your real feelings about the programs are a bit anal and not legitimate. why does there have to be so much hate? can't we all just get along??:laugh:

thanks for the info on irvine.

i'm very dissapointed on the useful info that is coming across this forum now.

i wish you all good luck with your ROL and match. it is almost over!

Desperado, I can see how you may think that sharing great things about a program may change people's minds and cause them to change their mind, but I doubt that really happens.

I think that with all the research one might do into a program and the "gestalt" they get from the program at the interview is going to shape their rank list. Once that final interview is held, the ROL is close to finalized I think, if you've done your homework ahead of time I guess.

Let's say I applied to UCI and interviewed there and loved the program and fit well with the residents; well, I most likely will be ranking it high regardless of feedback heard here. When I hear people say they "hate" a program, unless their reasons are objective (100+ hour work weeks, janitorial scut work etc) with some kind of proof if possible, I look at is as a program that did not fit with that student.

On the flipside, if I hated a program and did not get along with the PD or residents, and someone posts about what a great teaching hospital it is there, living environment, etc, etc, I still would not change my mind on MY fit at that program.

Like Blackcat, I would like to hear other people's opinions, for me it would be to make sure that I haven't been "lovestruck" by a program and missed some glaring negative detail, or been "hatestruck" by another and not considered a positive aspect. Overall though, posts here should not change my ROL.

Just the thought of the mind games that people may be using here is scary, placing bad posts for your favorite programs. We should all realize that nothing said here will affect the programs rank order list of us!

Keep in mind I wasn't anal enough to not answer the question. I tried to objectively tell you what I thought was good and bad about the programs blackcat asked about. Just speculating on how many mind games may or may not go on around here. The view/post ratio is awfully high on this site.

desperado, i thank you again for the information about irvine.

Hey I'm thinking about cancelling my interview at Irvine, What do you people think of that??
I've already interviewed at 10 places and know who i will rank #1, no matter what.