Why so few African American in Osteopathic schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babygirl7489

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
please enlighten me. is it because AAs arent making the grades and getting high enough scores to get in or are AAs not really applying to DO schools. I'm seeing like 1% AAs at some of theses DO schools. Whats the deal?

Members don't see this ad.

There just isn't that many AAs applying in general, and less people apply to DO schools as a whole, so that number will look even smaller for AAs.

Reactions: 2 users
AAs generally get favorable enough treatment by the URM policies of MD schools that they don't often don't end up having to apply DO. That's my theory, at least.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AAs generally get favorable enough treatment by the URM policies of MD schools that they don't often don't end up having to apply DO. That's my theory, at least.

I think that's a possibility, if you look at the WAMC charts...black students with avg matriculation stats for DO schools still have fabulous MD matriculation odds and given the choice will likely go MD

There just isn't that many AAs applying in general, and less people apply to DO schools as a whole, so that number will look even smaller for AAs.

That's true and I thought I believed that but each do school seems to avg around 5000 apps just like most of the md schools ..maybe not including newer schools. I think the same rules are starting to apply to osteopathic schools as far as competitiveness and perceived urm effect isn't so helpful these days..

I am an AAM, and I personally didn't apply to a DO school for cultural reasons. African-Americans (and minorities in general) are not too familiar with D.O.s. Minority communities know what MD means and won't question whether or not you are a "quack" doctor. It's silly because MDs and DOs are basically the same nowadays, but medicine is largely based on perception and you have to keep your patient's perspective in mind when providing care.

I am applying to DO after I do the grade replacement. You are right though, I rarely ever run into AA at osteopathic events.