Why so easy to get into the Pod schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why so easy?? And still make good money!!!! ....no demands...or what??? Avg of 20 mcat and 3.0 gpa...hmm...

Members don't see this ad.

Why so easy?? And still make good money!!!! ....no demands...or what??? Avg of 20 mcat and 3.0 gpa...hmm...

This has been covered a million times, a quick search will do wonders. :thumbup:

Summary:
1 "easy" is a relative term
2 getting in and making it through are 2 vastly different things
3 if you are thinking of applying banking on point 1 being true for you, you will likely find out the hard way that point 2 is true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pod school might be a little easier to get into then some other professional health schools but the courses are structured to put podiatry at the same level as MD/DO schools. You pretty much need to study two to three times as much as you did in undergrad to be successful. If you got a 3.0 studying all the time in undergrad pod school will be a real challenge. However, if you got a 3.0 without applying yourself too much and you feel as though you can really step your game up then you can be successful. Gonna be a big jump to keep above a 3.0 in pod school if you got a 3.0 in undergrad but it can be done.

Podiatry school is an 80 hour a week grind. The only thing easy about Pod school is failing out. These entrance stats only tell about 10% of the story (and that's simply dictated by supply and demand). Most of the students in my class could have easily been accepted into schools with higher entrance standards, but choose Podiatry because it is what they want to do. If you are interested in Podiatry, visit a couple of schools, but I suspect that you are here start trouble. Why not, no one knows who you are on an anonymous forum. I wish i had your courage!!!

Mike Stas

Last edited:
This is true, Podiatry school is intense and undergrad was a piece of cake compare to what you're going to go through. However, the reason why it is so easy is due to the popularity of the field.

Simple supply and demand. Less apps, less stats.

Sweet and simple. I would also add that the difficulty can also depend on the school.

Last edited:
i think "very hard to get in some" might be stretching it a bit. Okay, a LOT.
At DMU, which some would put in the hard-to-get-into category, i see a number of students who intelectually have no business being there, both in the DPM and DO programs. This is after just a month of school and two biochem tests. The lows on the two tests so far were 40 and 42. Seriously?

At DMU, which some would put in the hard-to-get-into category, i see a number of students who intelectually have no business being there, both in the DPM and DO programs. This is after just a month of school and two biochem tests. The lows on the two tests so far were 40 and 42. Seriously?
What was the high?

Waaat are u serious ?? what was the average?.... at nycpm we just took BacT today exam 1 and biochem is on thursday

As other's have said it has a lot to do with previous lack of significant interest in the field among premeds, but that is changing. If you go to podiatry school, in the end you will be a physician and surgeon of the foot and ankle so I would be less concerned about entrance stats but rather exit stats. Podiatry school as with any other medical school is hard so don't be misguided. You have to be organized, efficient, attentive to details and minutiae and very, very competent.

the high was 98 and 100. This was by a DO. I know of a few pods who scored in the mid-90's on both tests. The average was 87 on the first and 79 on the second.

Podiatry has slowly but surely been getting more and more competitive. I'm just glad I'm in now and not in 10 years when it will be like trying to get into dental or med school.

Temple pumped us full of "This is the highest GPA and MCAT score average we've ever had for an incoming class" crap during orientation last month. I had to wonder how many years they have used that line. They also said they turned away over 60-70 percent of the class, although I'm sure some of those did not choose Temple. While I still think it may be a little to UNcompetitive, It's moving in the right direction. You'll see. It won't be long before it's much more difficult to get in.

Another reason I think that it is "easy" is that no one knows about it. I for one never knew that podiatrists have separate schooling until about a year ago. If schools only have enough applicants to fill their seats, they'll take em all. In other words supply and demand as has been mentioned.

What a great time to be applying and going to pod school. We are at a very important point in the professions history. Let's keep it going in the right direction!!!

Last edited:
I'm in now and not in 10 years when it will be like trying to get into dental or med school.

I met a dentist once who said he was glad his 3.0 got him into school 30 years ago. Was he a successful dentist? Better believe it. Grades aren't always everything. Great time to be in indeed.

i have a question , being smart and making above average grades in pod school does this really determine sucess and how well of a podiatrist you are?

A podiatrist told me weather you graduate first of last in your class doesn't determine sucess but how you treat you patients and how well you establish a repor so the word gets out to others. you can graduate at the top of your class and have know patients.;)

This has some truth if you are just going to set up a basic palliative care private practice. When delivering palliative care there is a lot of "face time" with the patients. It is important you establish a strong rapport (not repor!) with your patients under these circumstances because if they don't enjoy being around you, regardless of whether you are delivering sound treatment, they most likely won't come back. Being a physician requires you being a people person.

BUT, Podiatry is branching out into other areas where there is and will be competition when it comes down to residency spots in the future. My goal is to get into a 3 year residency position where I will get a lot of training in surgery so that I will have a shot of joining a orthopedic group out of residency. This is a new trend that a lot of new Pods will most likely be looking to do. Therefore you need to have the best GPA possible to secure one of these residency spots. So currently it does matter what your grades are.