Why should I consolidate my student loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MC Wiggles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to all this financial stuff, so pardon my ignorance. But I'm wondering what advantages there are for consolidating student loans? I am entering dental school this fall, and currently I have student loans from two undergraduate universities. It's a pain to have to submit deferrment forms for two schools, and frankly I'm starting to even forget how much loan debt I have at each school. Could loan consolidation solve this problem and just be a more efficient manner to deal with loans overall?

Members don't see this ad.

MC Wiggles said:
I'm new to all this financial stuff, so pardon my ignorance. But I'm wondering what advantages there are for consolidating student loans? I am entering dental school this fall, and currently I have student loans from two undergraduate universities. It's a pain to have to submit deferrment forms for two schools, and frankly I'm starting to even forget how much loan debt I have at each school. Could loan consolidation solve this problem and just be a more efficient manner to deal with loans overall?

Loan consolidation does make loan management easier because you only have on loan to repay. If you do it before July 1, you also get to lock in historically low interest rates. Consolidation is also good because it stretches out your repayment plan. Honestly, I don't see any reason not to consolidate.

Lock-in rates? I thought that was done as of this past July.

Loan consolidation is great as you have one loan payment and it used to be that you could lock in all your rates at a fixed rate (usually for federal aid they are variable while in school and private loans are almost always variable (at least for undergrads as far as I could find).

If you can still lock in that rate, that is golden because even though I Believe there is an 8.5% cap on interest rates, its still adventatagous to lock in at 6%.

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:

Loan consolidation is great as you have one loan payment and it used to be that you could lock in all your rates at a fixed rate (usually for federal aid they are variable while in school and private loans are almost always variable (at least for undergrads as far as I could find).

If you can still lock in that rate, that is golden because even though I Believe there is an 8.5% cap on interest rates, its still adventatagous to lock in at 6%.

Here's an article I read recently. I personally don't know how accurate it is because I consolidated ages ago.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12611535/

Oh boy, if they decided not to do that I will LOVE IT! Thanks for the article. I am going to look into this.

Ah I found it

For new Stafford and PLUS loans taken out after June 30, 2006, consolidation will no longer offer a rate advantage for most borrowers. That's because recent changes in the law fix the interest rate on these loans at 6.8 percent and 8.5 percent respectively, effective July 1, 2006.
The 6.8 and 8.5 Referring to student and parents loans. Which sucks since rates are lower than that. I will consolidating all my federal loans this summer. :thumbup:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/529/20060417a1.asp

if i consolidate my federal loans from undergrad, can I still defer them during medical school? does it depend on who you consolidate with? i thought I was told that I might not be able to defer loans when i went back to school if i consolidated? but i very well could be wrong about that.

HC05nmd said:
if i consolidate my federal loans from undergrad, can I still defer them during medical school? does it depend on who you consolidate with? i thought I was told that I might not be able to defer loans when i went back to school if i consolidated? but i very well could be wrong about that.

Generally, if you do a federal consolidation, you get the same deferment and forbearance options that you would with staffords, etc. At least that's how my consolidation works.

The 6.8 and 8.5 Referring to student and parents loans. Which sucks since rates are lower than that. I will consolidating all my federal loans this summer. :thumbup:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/529/20060417a1.asp[/QUOTE]

I'm so bummed about those new interest rates. :mad: I guess I'll try to pay off my med school loans before the law school loans because the interest rate will be so much worse.

exlawgrrl said:
Generally, if you do a federal consolidation, you get the same deferment and forbearance options that you would with staffords, etc. At least that's how my consolidation works.
Yep, that is how federal loans work. Although some loan providers state you only have 4 years to defer for private loans. I hate private loans :(

mshheaddoc said:

Yes, they did do it last year, and I consolidated. They are doing it again this year, as there is going to be ANOTHER big jump in interest rates. I consolidated my sub & unsub stafford loans from this year to lock them in as well.

Doesn't interest start to accrue on your subs. loans for undergrad once you consolidate, when you will have to defer payments as a poor med student?

Raven Feather said:
Doesn't interest start to accrue on your subs. loans for undergrad once you consolidate, when you will have to defer payments as a poor med student?

You can defer until you finish residency.

Raven Feather said:
Since your questions wasn't answered, no. Your consolidation is divided into subsidized/unsubsidized. That doesn't change.

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:
Since your questions wasn't answered, no. Your consolidation is divided into subsidized/unsubsidized. That doesn't change.

So, is what you are saying that if you consolidate, interest still does not start accruing on the subsidized loans (unsubs. accrues regardless) while still in deferment (not using up grace period)?

Raven Feather said:
So, is what you are saying that if you consolidate, interest still does not start accruing on the subsidized loans (unsubs. accrues regardless) while still in deferment (not using up grace period)?
correct

link

Can I consolidate my subsidized loans with my unsubsidized loans?

Yes. You may include both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans with other federal educational loans into your consolidation loan. You can retain the subsidy benefits on the subsidized portion of your consolidation loan.

Please note: Borrowers will not retain the interest subsidy for any Perkins Loans included in a new consolidation loan.

Article Updated:10/8/2003

mshheaddoc said:

yep, when I look at my consolidated loan, there are two different totals -- subsidized and unsubsidized. they still keep all the same features that they had pre-consolidation. the other good thing is that you can specify where you want extra payments to go, so you can put all your extra payments toward the unsubsidized loans.

from my understanding, the only thing you lose with consolidation is the 6 month grace period.

exlawgrrl said:
yep, when I look at my consolidated loan, there are two different totals -- subsidized and unsubsidized. they still keep all the same features that they had pre-consolidation. the other good thing is that you can specify where you want extra payments to go, so you can put all your extra payments toward the unsubsidized loans.

from my understanding, the only thing you lose with consolidation is the 6 month grace period.

Eek. I have A LOT of UG debt, that would not work out as I am trying to save money to move for med school this summer--I couldn't do that if I had to start repaying on all my debt. I already have to start paying again this month on the loans for my associates degree since I had already used my grace period, started repayment for 3 years, then deferred when I went back to school to get a bachelors--I graduate on May 9. Maybe that is not a good idea after all.

Raven Feather said:
Eek. I have A LOT of UG debt, that would not work out as I am trying to save money to move for med school this summer--I couldn't do that if I had to start repaying on all my debt. I already have to start paying again this month on the loans for my associates degree since I had already used my grace period, started repayment for 3 years, then deferred when I went back to school to get a bachelors--I graduate on May 9. Maybe that is not a good idea after all.

Definitely research it to see when repayment begins -- as long as it doesn't begin before you start school, you can defer. As I recall, you had to start repayment (assuming you don't defer or get a forbearance) within 60 days of the consolidation or something like that.

I consolidated a few years ago when interest rates were dirt cheap, so there was no need to consolidate by July 1 to lock in a low interest rate -- consequently, I consolidated pretty close to the end of my six month grace period. I remember being motivated to do that just to stretch out the grace period. If you consolidate right before July 1 (I think that's the magic date this year), I'm sort of doubtful that you would have to pay anything before August, but I'm not 100% sure.

I consolidated and got the 6 months grace period. This was from 6/01-12/01.

I found a school website FAQ here It says you may have grace perod. I suppose it depends on your loan provider. I used Direct Loans.

But then I found this

Fallacy: You will lose the grace period on your Federal Stafford Loan(s) if you consolidate them.

Fact: This does not have to happen. The grace period is the time between the end of your enrollment as a student (on at least a half-time basis) and the point when loan repayment begins. Federal Stafford Loans currently have a 6-month grace period. There is no grace period on a Federal Consolidation Loan so it enters immediate repayment and payments begin within 60 days after the loan is made.

You can request that processing of your consolidation loan application be delayed, however, until the end of the grace period on the loans you are consolidating. To do so, you simply enter the grace period end date on Question 27 of the consolidation application. (Contact the current holder/servicer of your loans if you do not know your grace period end date.) If a date is provided, the lender cannot complete processing of the application or make the loan until that date. Therefore, you don't need to lose your grace period. You can apply for the consolidation loan at any time during the grace period, qualify for the lower in-school interest rate, and postpone the start of repayment on the debt until at least the end of the grace period.
from here

Then it states here
If you are no longer in school when you consolidate in the FFEL or DL Program, you may lose your grace period. Many lenders still offer a six-month grace period, but by regulation they are not obligated to do so.

I don't understand all of this "locking in rates" talk. If I only have subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans when I graduate undergrad aren't all of those loans locked in at the rates when each was made?

HunterGatherer said:
I don't understand all of this "locking in rates" talk. If I only have subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans when I graduate undergrad aren't all of those loans locked in at the rates when each was made?

Not in the least. They are variable. Which means if you dont consolidate, you are about to get ****ed in the ass.

Buckeye is right. But actually your rate has a cap of 8.5% so it shouldn't go any higher than that. But if you can lock in at 5%, wouldn't you want to?

Can you consolidate before having to make repayments? My husband and I already have our loans for next year sorted, but could we consolidate now to lock in the rates or do we wait till we graduate next year (May 2007) and are repaying loans to do it?

Also, can we combine private & Stafford or do just the Stafford?

squeakyuk said:
Can you consolidate before having to make repayments? My husband and I already have our loans for next year sorted, but could we consolidate now to lock in the rates or do we wait till we graduate next year (May 2007) and are repaying loans to do it?

Almost everyone does.

I've consolidated twice now. I do not plan to begin repayment until after I complete residency. I am just starting my MS-III year.

squeakyuk said:

You can consolidate before and I would suggest consolidating every year. That means you lock in your interest rate every year. Therefore say you lockedin last year at let's say 4% then this year you lock in at 5% your total rate would be based on the amount of 4% and 5% loans and there is a weighted average worked out.

Additionally, once you start repayment your interest rate is higher so ALWAYS consolidate before your repayment period begins.

As for consolidation, you can only consolidate federal loans together, you can NOT include private loans. As for consolidation of private loans, I am not sure how that works on the med school level. It is my understanding that private loans can be fixed or variable rate. Most people I know with private loans have gotten them all at the same lender therefore there is no need to consolidate. You don't get the interest benefits like with stafford if you have variable rate. And you only will have ot make one payment if all your loans are under one lender. I would ask your private lender for more information! :)

Ok. I plan to take care of this consolidation thing tomorrow. some questions before I walk into the lion's den:

1)sallie mae purchased some stafford loans. I made some payments and then put them in deferment when I started school full-time. Can these be included in consolidation?

2)perkins loans can be included in consolidation?

3)I have about $11K in stafford loans at 4.7%. If I consolidate now they will be locked at 4.7% FOREVER?

4)what are the rules regarding deferment during residency? all consolidators offer this?

HunterGatherer said:
Ok. I plan to take care of this consolidation thing tomorrow. some questions before I walk into the lion's den:

1)sallie mae purchased some stafford loans. I made some payments and then put them in deferment when I started school full-time. Can these be included in consolidation?

2)perkins loans can be included in consolidation?

3)I have about $11K in stafford loans at 4.7%. If I consolidate now they will be locked at 4.7% FOREVER?

4)what are the rules regarding deferment during residency? all consolidators offer this?

2) DO NOT consolidate perkins loans.

HunterGatherer said:
Would you please tell me why?

The interest rate will average with all of the other ones, and you will start owing interest on Perkins while in school.

I currently have no student loans. It is unlikely that I will receive my loan until sometime in August. When can I consolidate?

BobBarker said:
I currently have no student loans. It is unlikely that I will receive my loan until sometime in August. When can I consolidate?

You can consolidate as soon as you recieve it.

And what is he going to consolidate with? :confused:

You can't consolidate until you have two loans unless you just want to consolidate to a new lender. Not sure if thta would work though.

mshheaddoc said:

You can't consolidate until you have two loans unless you just want to consolidate to a new lender. Not sure if thta would work though.

Plus, this person is going to be a new borrower. After July 1, the rate for all new borrowers will be fixed at 6.8%. There's no point in consolidating while in school, since the rate won't go up. I also believe that after July 1, students will no longer be able to consolidate while in school.

2)I have about $11K in stafford loans at 4.7%. If I consolidate now they will be locked at 4.7% FOREVER?

3)what are the rules regarding deferment during residency? all consolidators offer this?

HunterGatherer said:

2)I have about $11K in stafford loans at 4.7%. If I consolidate now they will be locked at 4.7% FOREVER?

3)what are the rules regarding deferment during residency? all consolidators offer this?

Okay, some answers. :)

1. yes, you can consolidate loans in repayment/deferment. You might have a slightly higher interest rate on those loans because they've already gone into repayment.

2. not sure if it will be 4.7%, but whatever interest rate you get, it will be the interest rate you're stuck with for the duration of the loan, unless you get some points knocked off for things like timely payments. Different lenders offer different incentives.

3. You should have the same rights for deferment/forbearance during residency that you would have with non-consolidated loans. I don't know if all lenders offer this, but I'm sure the vast majority do. In sum, you will be able to find a lender who will offer this.

exlawgrrl said:
Okay, some answers. :)

1. yes, you can consolidate loans in repayment/deferment. You might have a slightly higher interest rate on those loans because they've already gone into repayment.

2. not sure if it will be 4.7%, but whatever interest rate you get, it will be the interest rate you're stuck with for the duration of the loan, unless you get some points knocked off for things like timely payments. Different lenders offer different incentives.

3. You should have the same rights for deferment/forbearance during residency that you would have with non-consolidated loans. I don't know if all lenders offer this, but I'm sure the vast majority do. In sum, you will be able to find a lender who will offer this.

Thanks so much!

mshheaddoc said:

You can't consolidate until you have two loans unless you just want to consolidate to a new lender.

This just isn't true. You can consolidate just ONE loan with one lender, and you can do so multiple times, and even have multiple consolidation loans with the same lender! Consolidation isn't just a way to lump multiple loans together into one loan and make it more convenient, it's also a way to lock in the current year's interest rate before the rates go up on July 1st. You do NOT need to have more than one loan to consolidate; you can consolidate just a single loan, although the term "consolidate" might make you THINK it invovles more than one loan. However, you need to consider that you lose/gain certain benefits when you consolidate. For example, you typically lose your 6-month grace period, so you'll need to start making payments shortly after graduation (unless you apply and qualify for a deferment at that time). Also, you can actually have multiple consolidation loans in order to avoid the averaging of your two interest rates. This is increasingly common since so many people consolidated last year due to the historically low rates.

For example, I consolidated a huge chunk of my loans last year at 2.875%. But my loans from this year are at 4.7%, since they were taken out after I did the consolidation. So I've applied for a second and separate consolidation for this years loans, to lock them in at 4.7% or so. So now I'll have two separate consolidation loans with the same lender, each at a different rate. This is a benefit for me because if I had added my newer loans into the older consolidation, my overall rate would have gone up significantly due to the way they calculate the averaging. And this way I can work on paying off the loan with the higher rate first, while the much larger and lower rate loan is in deferment! I also have a consolidation loan from undergrad with an entirely different lender, and I'm adding one of my med school loans into this consolidation to help LOWER its rate. I have many reasons for doing this and won't go into it all here, but I tell the story to illustrate how many options there are, and how there are many blatantly FALSE misconceptions about loan consolidation (many of which have been perpetuated in this forum).

I hope this helps some of you!

Well I wasn't aware of any ONE loan consolidations so I mispoke about that. Thanks for clearing it up.

But I don't see alot of misconceptions on this forum about loans, its actually quite helpful with knowledge abound. So don't be bashing people because most of have more than one loan. I was not aware just "one" loan could be consolidated. Now we know and knowing is half the battle :)

Are there any disadvantages to consolidation??

DrA said:
Are there any disadvantages to consolidation??

Sure, there can be disadvantages, depending on your particular situation and the details of the consolidation loan. Here are three I can think of offhand:

(1) You usually lose your 6-month grace period (not with Direct Loans, but with most private lenders like SallieMae). However, for most people with lots of loans this isn't really a big issue because they can just apply for an economic hardship deferment when they start their internship. You can get a maximum of 36 months from this deferment, as well as an unlimited deferment during fellowship regardless of your loan amount or your income, so the only way it's a problem is if your residency is longer than 3 years. If that happens, you'll have to start making some payments until you begin a fellowship or until you start making a real salary, in which case it's not a big deal anymore. However, there's still always the forbearance option for those who just can't make the payments. It's not ideal, but sometimes necessary. Still, the interest savings can be huge enough to make it worthwhile. For me, locking in 2.875% last year on about $90,000 in loans was a no-brainer. If I had waited, just to save my grace period, I would now be looking at a rate that will soon be over 6% (and I'd be kicking myself!)

(2) You generally lose any other special benefits of the original loans when you consolidate. Every lender is different, but this is generally how it works. For example, with SallieMae there's a "healthier returns" program with their "Medloans." This benefit gives you something like 3 or 4% cash back upon graduation, based on the original loan amount. You can even have it applied right back to the principle if you'd like, which is nice since lenders generally capitalize your loans when you graduate. But if you complete your consolidation before graduation you LOSE this benefit for those loans. However, most consolidation loans have their own set of benefits, such as a 1% reduction in interest rate after you make 33 on-time payments, or a 0.25% interest rate reduction if you pay by automatic draft from your account. And if you're locking in a really low interest rate when it would otherwise go up then it's still a great deal to consolidate. The lower interest over the life of the loan typically FAR outweighs these little benefits. On $100,000 in loans paid back over 30 years you can easily pay 50 to $100,000 in just interest, so make sure you don't miss the big picture just to get a measely $2,000 in cash in your pocket at graduation. That's what lenders WANT you do to though, because then they'll make more money off your payments over 30 years!

(3) Theoretically, the interest rate could go DOWN. This is a potential downside to consolidation since it locks you into a particular rate for the life of the loan, although it's pretty certain this time around that rates will rise from 4.7% to well over 6%. However, when I consolidated some of my college loans 4-5 years ago I locked in what was then a "lowest ever fantastic rate" that turned out to be just one more step down in a longer downward trend. So I locked in at around 5% and watched the rate drop as low as 2.7% a few years later!!! Now I'm stuck with 5% on those loans unless I re-consolidate with other loans that have a lower rate, in which case they do a "weighted average" to figure out what the new rate on the loans would be. BUT, as I said earlier, it's quite certain that rates are going up again on July 1st and the whole student loan program may change over the next few years, so it's tough to argue that consolidation would be a BAD idea aside from a few unusual situations for a few unusual people.

Overall, the student loan game is just like the stock market...you're VERY lucky if you can buy up a stock at it's absolute low, or sell one at its absolute high. You'll almost never get the "lowest ever rate" on your loans. But don't let the "best" be the enemy of the "good." Instead, you need to crunch the numbers, be smart, and just go for what looks best at this time. There'll always be someone with a lower interest rate than you, but it's still probably be better to lock in an ALMOST lowest-ever rate now than to adopt a "wait-and-see" attitude, which can be very costly if the rates continue to rise as expected (and if the loan program is fundamentally re-structured). It's better to lock in 4.7% and wish you could have had 2.875% last year than to sit this one out and get stuck with 8% in a couple years (or worse, a re-designed loan system that prevents fixed rate consolidation, as President Bush proposed!)

mshheaddoc said:
Well I wasn't aware of any ONE loan consolidations so I mispoke about that. Thanks for clearing it up.

But I don't see alot of misconceptions on this forum about loans, its actually quite helpful with knowledge abound. So don't be bashing people because most of have more than one loan. I was not aware just "one" loan could be consolidated. Now we know and knowing is half the battle :)

Whoa there, I didn't bash anyone nor did I intend to. I'm not sure where you got that from, but it's completely unwarranted and unsubstantiated.

Quite to the contrary, I was trying to be helpful by clearing up a very common misconception about loan consolidation that I've seen perpetuated on SDN countless times over the past few years. I was also warning people not to believe everything they read here, because some of it is just plain wrong. That's not an attack, it's a fact. But nowhere did I ever say nor imply that this discussion wasn't helpful, nor did I ever "bash" anyone, despite your accusation. Like you, I'm just trying to be helpful. SDN has helped me in so many ways over the past 5 years. This is a fantastic place to learn about such issues! By posting here, I aim to "give back" a little to a place that's helped me in so many ways.

That said, just because you don't see misconceptions here doesn't mean they don't exist, and I don't think it's ever unwarranted to caution people to be careful. Case in point: by saying earlier that you recommend that we all consolidate every year, you may actually be perpetuating a misconception; after all, it's just not that simple! For example, should I consolidate all of my loans together or get a new consolidation loan for just that year's loans? And what happens with my weighted average? And what about my loan benefits? Do you even know who my lenders are, and what benefits I might lose? What about my total loan amount, and my personal situation? The list of important yet unanswered questions just goes on and on. These are important and individual questions, and it's frankly just not helpful to blanketly recommend that everyone consolidate every year. That's just one example of a problematic recommendation often made here.

But again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to be helpful. It's important to realize that criticism of ideas or statements is NOT criticism of a person. Rather, it's part of healthy debate and an important part of a good education, instead of just taking everything at face value and gospel truth. If people are unable to recognize that questioning an idea is not a personal attack, perhaps they should not be posting in a public forum, where such discussions are the norm and indeed enrich everyone's experience.

I'm very sorry that you felt I was "bashing" you earlier, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.