Federal vs Private Loans Long Term

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1148392

So I have been accepted to School X and School Y. They both cost $100K a year so I'm looking at $400K in debt pre-interest. School X offered 100% in federal loans. School Y offered only 50% in federal loans, so I would have to do private loans for other half? What would the long term total cost difference be? I am open to any ballpark numbers, it doesn't have to be accurate, I just want a relative estimate on how much that difference would be.

Credit score low 700s

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really want federal if possible. Private student loans are not dischargeable in event of permanent disability etc. You get income based repayment on federal loans so you won't be spending 75% of your resident paycheck on private loans. You can defer/go into forbearance in an emergency.

That stuff imo is a lot more important than getting 1% interest cheaper or whatever.

I thought that a student is able to access 100% federal loan coverage regardless? I didn't know the school decided the extent to which you could take out federal loans to cover the costs. Can someone explain?

Members don't see this ad :)
Private education loans are a real pain.

Interest rate is far higher. Minimal to no safety net/backup options. Maybe you can defer payments for up to a year if you don’t find a job, but you can only do it in short increments and there’s lots of paperwork.

Most concerning is many/most private loans will require repayment once you start residency, and they don’t have IBR/REPAYE. So you’d have large payments to make while in residency.

I believe, but could be mistaken, that mandatory forbearance applies to private loans as well. It’s rarely used nowadays for residents since we have income-based plans, but basically if you ask for a deferment/forbearance your lender is required to give it to you if you’re a resident. At least that was true of federal backed loans (there was a time when not all federal loans were direct loans). It may apply to private education loans as well. Even if a private lender says it does, I’d want to see all that in writing in your actual contract.

However, as someone who took out a private loan for a post bac (which entered repayment while I was in med school) and another for a residency/relocation loan, I will highly recommend avoiding private education loans at all costs. Far less flexibility and protection than federal loans. Not worth it unless you have no other choice (as was my case)

I agree with the above poster it’s odd federal loans won’t cover the full cost of attendance. Typically they can, because there’s no borrowing limit on the PLUS loans, at least to my knowledge.

Give that school a call and ask what’s going on there.

With all that said, my private consolidation loan at 2% over 15 years is phenomenal, and now I make enough money I can just make my monthly payment and not heave to deal with customer service reps…