Why Podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mthomas2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been looking into podiatry because I like what it has to offer but I want to make sure it's for the right reasons so this is why I ask Why Podiatry? I would love to hear what everyone else has to say.

Members don't see this ad.

There topic has been covered many times. Here are some threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=1432967

#1 reason to enter podiatry is that you will have to love to provide health care for patients with foot and ankle ailments whether it be through basic or surgical measures.

There are other reasons and benefits to enter podiatry but none of them collectively will surpass the above reason.

gsrimport said:
There topic has been covered many times. Here are some threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=1432967

#1 reason to enter podiatry is that you will have to love to provide health care for patients with foot and ankle ailments whether it be through basic or surgical measures.

There are other reasons and benefits to enter podiatry but none of them collectively will surpass the above reason.

I can understand that reason but why did you personally chose podiatry over any other medical profession that provides health care to patients as well?

mthomas2 said:
I can understand that reason but why did you personally chose podiatry over any other medical profession that provides health care to patients as well?

Another really basic response is that it allows me to do the things I like without having to do things I don't like.

I can take care of their foot and ankle poblems, but I am also not responsible for their overall care. Most of the things I can do, will make difference. The thing their primary care manager will do only maintains their current condition.

I can treat an ulcer and see it through to a point of healing. The primary care provider is stuck with treating their diabeties for the rest of their life. The vast majority of what I see is treatable, and will go on to resolution.

This is true for the vast majority of podiatric conditions. I can see a fracture through. I can see an ulcer through. Their diabetes will never be "fixed". It will only be managed.

There is a lot of gratuity in being able to see the fruits of your labors.

There are lots of similar examples.