why not OSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOPEOPT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I notice that the majority of the students on this thread are applying to Berkely, Sunny, Neco, ICO , Nova. and I found just two students as an example considering OSU, Are the previous schools more competitive and have better reputation, I am wondering why not OSU, in my opinion, it has very well reputation, high rate of board examination, ...etc.What do you think, what makes Berkely, and Sunny attract all these attention?

Members don't see this ad.

The out of state tuition was insane, according to the opted pdf. I reviewed their brochure as well, but $48,000+ v.s. $32,000+ (highest for the schools you mentioned) was just too much of a difference, so didn't make more efforts to research the school after that.
SDN is also just a small sample of pre-opt students. You'll get a diverse class of students no matter what

The out of state tuition was insane, according to the opted pdf. I reviewed their brochure as well, but $48,000+ v.s. $32,000+ (highest for the schools you mentioned) was just too much of a difference, so didn't make more efforts to research the school after that.
SDN is also just a small sample of pre-opt students. You'll get a diverse class of students no matter what

Exactly.
50k for 1 year of tuition is more than I can bare. Although I heard after the first year, you are eligible for in state.. it just doesn't make any financial sense to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly.
50k for 1 year of tuition is more than I can bare. Although I heard after the first year, you are eligible for in state.. it just doesn't make any financial sense to go there.

Tuition and location for me. Before I knew anything about any of the schools, I first checked the location, then the tuition, then their average GPA/OAT scores on the list from opted. Honestly, I just couldn't see myself living in Ohio so the inquiry for OSU was dropped there.

Although, it is true, people don't mention OSU often on these boards.

1) Tuition is $48,389 for out-of-stater residents vs. $18,962 for in-state. Why the price discrepancy?
2) They interview/accept mostly in-state residents so it feels like a wasted effort to apply as an out-of-stater

Same thing with UAB its 17,000 in state and 44,000 out of state and I'm pretty sure if your out of state you pay that 44k for 4 years.

Same thing with UAB its 17,000 in state and 44,000 out of state and I'm pretty sure if your out of state you pay that 44k for 4 years.

That doesn't even include food, housing, books, equipment, etc! I can't even imagine how costly it'd be once all that is added in!

I am wondering why not OSU, in my opinion, it has very well reputation

I can't help myself. Why not OSU?

Florida logo.JPG

Its a great opt school, it just might be difficult going there if your into sports :laugh:

I'll throw my two cents in here. I recently accepted a seat into OSU after interviewing and turning down NECO, IU, SCO, and PCO. Personally, Ohio State seems like it's the best choice for me (we'll see in September). I'm an out-of-stater so I'll be paying that huge out of state tuition 1st year, but after a year you qualify as an in-stater if you follow some of the guidelines. When I compared it to the last school I was considering, it was actually the cheaper option over the course of 4 years. I liked the big campus atmosphere and I know of many people who said they didn't consider the universities because they didn't want to go to "college" again. It's all about your personal fit and interests. I was suprised to see/hear that not many people applied to tOSU as well, but I think it's a good school to consider.

P.S. I love sports, so hopefully Pryor and the Bucks show me something this year. Maybe they can finally win a bowl game : )

Last edited:
I am also an out of stater that interviewed there as well and not only are you considered an in state student after your first year, but if my wife was to get a job only one day before the 1st semester started I would be considered an in state resident for all 4 years!! SO thats only 19,000 a year. Not bad. Plus if you do the math 48 (year 1 ) + 19 x 3 = 105,000 compared to SUNY 26000 x 4 = 104000, Berkley 32500 x 4 = 130000, ICO 29000 x 4 = 116000. So in some cases its cheaper tuition and most cases its way cheaper living expenses.

SUNY would be 31,720 + (15,500 x 3) = 78,220 or 62,200 for NY residents, so yeah you're way off...

& Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can get in-state after the first year at Berkeley also...

& Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can get in-state after the first year at Berkeley also...

Correct!

Going by 08/09 figures
32.5 + 3 x 20.2 = 93.1k @ UCBSO