Why not Ortho Spin and not Neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegefreak12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The residency for ortho is 5 years, but it is 7 for neuro. So, if one would want to do spine things, isn't it smarter to just do a residency in ortho, then fellowship in spine instead of 7 years neuro residency + 1 for spine? If so, why do people go into neuro for spine surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

The residency for ortho is 5 years, but it is 7 for neuro. So, if one would want to do spine things, isn't it smarter to just do a residency in ortho, then fellowship in spine instead of 7 years neruo residency + 1 for spine? If so, why do people go into neuro for spine surgery?

Dude, you're in college. Chill out. Cross this bridge when you get here.

(it might also help if you could spell neuro).

There are enough differences between orthopaedics and neurosurgery that you should be figure out where you belong.

As others have pointed out, spine reimbursement is likely to drop (things will definitely be different by the time you are practicing). Bottom line: pick what you ENJOY doing and you cannot go wrong.

Dude, you're in college. Chill out. Cross this bridge when you get here.

(it might also help if you could spell neuro).

Yeah, and it's called "Spine" not "Spin". Why are you still lurking here? Run over the pre-allo where you can worry about passing the MCAT.

That being said.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=351041

Seriously, search function. Worst of all, this thread is on the front page of the Ortho section.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i would assume that people usually consider factors like....neurosurgeons don't operate on broken bones or that orthopedic surgeons don't fix chiari malformations or do aneurysm clippings...if you get my point.

there are some basic differences between neuro and ortho spine
neuro spine tends to focus more on decompression
ortho more on fusion

orthopods see more back pain, neurosurgeons see more nerve associated problems (stenosis and radiculopathy); most neurosurgeons are not as comfortable with boney work and orthopaedic surgeons with cord work; ortho usually does the deformity (scoliosis), and neuro the skull based work

the difference between neuro and ortho spine surgeons is closing and tends to be more regional and in some places has to do with the history at the particular hospital ...

if you are in college now, it shouldn't be a concern ... get into medical school and go from there. If you have an interest in spine work, find out who does it at your local hospital and see if you can hang out with them ...

well i would assume that people usually consider factors like....neurosurgeons don't operate on broken bones or that orthopedic surgeons don't fix chiari malformations or do aneurysm clippings...if you get my point.

i don't get your point.

i don't get your point.

haha. i apologize. i meant that i and others would not go into a specialty just because it cuts a couple of years off from doing a fellowship. if i wanted to be a neurosurgeon with spine then i would do a neurosurgery residency as opposed to an ortho residency and vice versa.

To all grade-schoolers: stop looking at physician salary reports.

Even preschoolers want to be spine surgeons these days.

Geez.