Why no RT on weekends and holidays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think we've come to agreement on the salient points. Thank you very much for the discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the anger seems to have subsided ...

Is there an economic rationale to treat on weekends? The one point is that rad-onc is hugely capital dependent and that would be a point in favor of the machines being used more than 8a-5p. Intuitively, my gut reaction is that it would make sense to operate all the time (like a automobile factory).

Most rad-onc facilities are profitable, and one would surmise that they are just as profitable on Tuesday as they are on Friday. If that's true, then one could assume it could be just as profitable on Thursday as it is Saturday, ceteris paribus.

Except for the fact that you would have to continue to have consults, follow-ups, and OTVs on those weekend days. If not (and we are only treating), then revenue must be going down, unless the revenue from those events are dwarfed by treatment (I don't know the economics enough to say that it does or doesn't). The capital costs stay fixed, but the labor cost would definitely go up. Not just the fact that more hours are worked, but likely we'd have to pay all involved (docs, techs, therapists, physicists) more per hour on the weekend. The problem with trying to think through this is that I don't have an understanding of the RVUs of any given encounter, so it's hard to calculate anything, really.

As far as patient satisfaction, I'm sure some would be happy to come in on a few weekend days, some would hate it, and many would like the option.

I'm not sure if there is a buck to be made. Knowing just a little bit about the 'cancer industry', I assume if there is a buck to be made by extending hours, US Oncology or someone else would already be doing it. Maybe not. I'd potentially put in a relaxing Saturday every month watching TV in my office while patients get treated for a signficant shift-diff, but then again maybe I wouldn't.

-S

In many parts of the country, trained radiation therapsits are of limited supply. Their job is physically demanding. One perk that they have is weekends off.

Physicists often do LINAC QA in the evenings or weekends. Intermittent system upgrades are also done on weekends. Admittedly these are not common events, but does argue that the machines are being utilized in the off hours, including weekends.

further flaming will result in admin action of users. Im very disappointed to see the tone that has been prevelent on this thread.