Why no RT on weekends and holidays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruce Banner

Truth is Absolute
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following is from "a med onc's perspective" thread, but I thought this question might be best addressed in a new thread.

He also ripped rad onc for not working weekend and suggested that not giving RT for 2 consecutive days might actually be detrimental, etc, etc. wow.

Could someone please shed some light on why we take weekends off? During my externships last year I asked a couple of my attendings who sorta shrugged it off saying it provides time for the normal tissue to recover. I don't know much about radiobiology, but it seems that hitting the tumor continuously would be more effective.

Is this topic something that's been adequately studied or one that no wants to research because it would mess up our lifestyle? When you also include not treating on holidays my suspicion of the latter is much increased.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The following is from "a med onc's perspective" thread, but I thought this question might be best addressed in a new thread.

Could someone please shed some light on why we take weekends off? During my externships last year I asked a couple of my attendings who sorta shrugged it off saying it provides time for the normal tissue to recover. I don't know much about radiobiology, but it seems that hitting the tumor continuously would be more effective.

Is this topic something that's been adequately studied or one that no wants to research because it would mess up our lifestyle? When you also include not treating on holidays my suspicion of the latter is much increased.

Thanks

My intuition has always told me it has to do with the working week. No one, anywhere, wants to work on weekends and holidays. I guess there is some benefit to letting tissue recover as well, but who knows. =P

actually, its not so much to let normal tissue recover...

its more of a tumor reassortment & re-oxygenation issue.

reassortment- leads to sensitization by cells going into the more sensitive phases of the cell cycle

re-oxygenation - increases blood flow to the tumor, which allows for increased sensitivity to RT

Members don't see this ad :)
Above all, it is a staff retention issue.

Radiation therapists (the technologist level staff that actually operates the equipment and positions the patient etc.) are in short supply. One of the reasons they go into that job (rather than becoming x-ray techs) is because they want to have a LIFE. Working weekends interferes with having a LIFE and any facility that made their therapists work weekends would have a hard time retaining them.

actually, its not so much to let normal tissue recover...

its more of a tumor reassortment & re-oxygenation issue.

reassortment- leads to sensitization by cells going into the more sensitive phases of the cell cycle

re-oxygenation - increases blood flow to the tumor, which allows for increased sensitivity to RT

You do realize that this just means that you could pursue RT on Saturday and have a rest day during the normal work week.

f_w has it exactly right. Nobody (including faculty & residents) wants to work on the weekend.

For most types of tumors, it really doesn't make a big difference if you omit two days out of seven. In reality, there should be a "fudge factor" to make up for missing those two days but I don't believe it is used.

However, in some cases it can matter and there needs to be some dosing compensation.

For example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Studies like this are uncommon, for the same reasons there are no trials comparing photons and protons. However, keep in mind that if someone needs emergency RT for cord-compression and the like there are always staff on call 24 hours a day.

In reality, hospitals already offer too many services on a 24/7 basis at great expense to the system. Radonc is just a bit more efficient at curtailing inefficient off-hours utilization.

there is no question that the reoxigenation reassortment phenomenon are real. however the weekend thing is a resource issue that is legitimized (or made permissable) by the radiobiology. F_w is half right, its not a normal tissue repair arguement for weekends off per se but radiation oncologists DO worry about what happens if people are treated too many days in a row.Remember: (most of) our data and dose/fractionation scheme are empiric, coming from 5 day a week treatment. With continual treatment (such as studied by CHART) we actually DO worry about the effect on normal tissue. Ive had a patient who fwas a weekend urgent start and then went through the week. I found out that the following weeekend they were still in house and the surgeons (who's service they were on) asked for them to be treated by the on call team "since they were there anyway". There was no medical reason for this (ie pt was stable). I had a very serious discussion with the surgeon about attempting to bully our first year resident into treatment when they (the surgeon) didnt know what the hell they were doing with radiation. Another nice little example as to why radiation oncologists need to stop letting themselves become technicians to other services. I was just on a site geared for an SRS conference in Europe this year. There is not one mention of radiation oncologists on it. its aimed solely towards neurosurgeons. If that doesnt make you seriously concerned for patients and our career, i dont know what will.

i should add there is very good data in Gyn and head and neck that days to get treatment in has a survival impact.

i should add there is very good data in Gyn and head and neck that days to get treatment in has a survival impact.

As in 1 vs. 3 days (or 10 vs 30) ?

Also, let's not forget the patients.
I have met many patients that look forward to weekends and other times-holidays, etc that they do not have to come into the center.
It is a good break psychologically for them as well.

Also, let's not forget the patients.
I have met many patients that look forward to weekends and other times-holidays, etc that they do not have to come into the center.
It is a good break psychologically for them as well.

while true this isnt the reason behind it.

Members don't see this ad :)
as in treatment shouldnt last long thana particular period of time.

Ok, so still no reason to call in your staff to start RT 'because the patient want's to get started on this'. (so, no detrimental effect from starting on monday or tuesday rather than friday 5:30pm.

well as i said, all the data we have comes from the 5 day a week plan and there are probably higher risks of complications if we simply assume that the break over the collective weekends doesnt accumulate and try to ignore it.

Has nothing to do with "the patient wants to get started". Plans take time.

Ok, so still no reason to call in your staff to start RT 'because the patient want's to get started on this'. (so, no detrimental effect from starting on monday or tuesday rather than friday 5:30pm.

Unless you want to continue treating through the weekend (at least one more fraction on Saturday at our institution), you don't want to give one fraction on Friday then give the patient a weekend break. On the other hand, there may be profound detriment from delaying urgent XRT (the most obvious example being cord compression, which occurs only in Friday afternoons). You have to make that decision and not be dictated by consulting doc's or patient's convenience.

at our institution, if we treat a patient on friday, we always treat a patient on saturday as well. these cases are usually cord compressions, svc;s, palliative bleeding cases (hemptosys, brbpr, gross hematuria). depending on the histology, site, and pt status, we may deliver a higher dpf (400cgy) x2 and then drop down the dpf.

that being said, we try to accomodate patient wishes to start at a time convenient for them...if they want to get started for an uncomplicated plan (that we have 2-3 days to plan), we do a setup/films on friday, and begin treatment on monday. for our imrt plans, we tell the patient we need 5-7 business days before they can start (and usually to coordinate plans for chemo, ethyol, etc).

We had an H&N attending who proposed 6-day a week XRT for HNSCC (standard of care in Denmark thaks to Overgaard). No dice; physics shot it down immediately. As MDs we forget that "weekend call" is a normative thing (especially as an intern); dosimetrists objected once at our institution at having to carry a pager 1 weekend a month. While we compare our hours to surgery and smile, medical physicists/staff did not sign up for weekends at work, and have no intention of doing so....

You have to make that decision and not be dictated by consulting doc's or patient's convenience.

that being said, we try to accomodate patient wishes to start at a time convenient for them...if they want to get started for an uncomplicated plan (that we have 2-3 days to plan), we do a setup/films on friday, and begin treatment on monday. for our imrt plans, we tell the patient we need 5-7 business days before they can start (and usually to coordinate plans for chemo, ethyol, etc).

Of course, you should try to accomodate the patient as much as possible. I wholeheartedly agree with radonc's approach (except Ethyol (=amofostine) part; whole another story :)). What I meant was you shouldn't be pushed into "urgent" XRT when that's not the case at all.

Thanks for the chance to clarify.

chemo often isnt a daily infusion anyway. or if it is there is an infusion device that patients will carry with them (a chemo ball or the like). and medoncs do do inpatient work and admit to the hosptial. so they escape any jokes like "the radiation doesnt work on the weekends".

the reason we do not admit inpatients is the same reason that optho/derm do not admit...b/c we are primarily an outpatient specialty and we are trained as outpatient docs. we do not get trained how to take care of inpatients, their medical problems, etc. god help me if i would want a radonc doc taking care of me (or a fam member) as an inpatient...id rather have a hospitalist.

that being said, you never see chemo being started/given on a saturday (weekly) cycle...radiatermike brings up an interesting point...how come they dont give weekly chemo on a sat/sun? same reason we dont radiate on weekends.

that being said, if there is a weekend consult, i go see the patient...

this whole issue is absurd...the main reason we get slack from other specialties is because THEY ARE JEALOUS & HATE THE FACT THEY ARE STUCK IN THE HOSPITAL ON WEEKENDS.

that being said, you never see chemo being started/given on a saturday (weekly) cycle...radiatermike brings up an interesting point...how come they dont give weekly chemo on a sat/sun? same reason we dont radiate on weekends.QUOTE]

I guess they can get the chemo emergencies every so often --- SVC from SCLC that responsds to cis/etop really well?

that being said, you never see chemo being started/given on a saturday (weekly) cycle...radiatermike brings up an interesting point...how come they dont give weekly chemo on a sat/sun? same reason we dont radiate on weekends.QUOTE]

I guess they can get the chemo emergencies every so often --- SVC from SCLC that responsds to cis/etop really well?
yes chemo is typically a very good option for this. its not a common occurence however.

well that is a bit of a circular arguement. you dont want radoncs taking care of you in house because they dont take care of you inhouse. so its a bit of a tautology..

And derm and optho aren't subfields under the umbrella oncology so there is less of a reason to examine the appropraiteness of that position. Did you that elsewhere in the world oncologists get training in both med and radonc ? in some places radonc has inptservices and admitting privledges elsewhere in the world (Dont ask me if derm does. i have no idea). So there is room to review the roles and responsibilities of radiation oncologists, precedents elsewhere.

And finally, the concepts of jealousy along with legit criticism are not mutually exclusive. think view of the united states. Is there genuine contempt over some american attitudes and policy that is legit? sure. is there envy of American power. Sure. they can live together. Intellectual honesty compells to self-examine , see where we fall short and where we can improve (i.e., do we indeed want to be docs first, oncologists 2nd and radiation oncologists third and if so, are we achieving that aim adequately) along with being aware that we enjoy a very good lifestyle as far as doctors go.

Dont get me wrong. While i have no interest in, say, surgery, if i did I wouldnt have chosen it purely because of the life style. I dont believe in medicine as bootcamp and i don't think that its good for patients when doctors work to the point of fatigue and resentment. and frankly i want to enjoy my life with my family and friends. Your not talking to someone with a weird macho view of medicine. But I most certainly do want to be an oncologist and do what's best for the patient. and i do know that radnocs famously let themselves get pressured to do (or not do something) because "the surgeon wants" or the "medical oncologist wants" in spite of the (correctly perceived stereotype of) academic superiority in the field of oncology.

the reason we do not admit inpatients is the same reason that optho/derm do not admit...b/c we are primarily an outpatient specialty and we are trained as outpatient docs. we do not get trained how to take care of inpatients, their medical problems, etc. god help me if i would want a radonc doc taking care of me (or a fam member) as an inpatient...id rather have a hospitalist.

that being said, you never see chemo being started/given on a saturday (weekly) cycle...radiatermike brings up an interesting point...how come they dont give weekly chemo on a sat/sun? same reason we dont radiate on weekends.

that being said, if there is a weekend consult, i go see the patient...

this whole issue is absurd...the main reason we get slack from other specialties is because THEY ARE JEALOUS & HATE THE FACT THEY ARE STUCK IN THE HOSPITAL ON WEEKENDS.

(Dont ask me if derm does. i have no idea).

In some places they do. They will admit stuff like Stevens Johnson or these horrendous bullous self-dissolution things.

Ophtho will occasionally admit patients, but make generous use of hospitalist or IM consults (the way reimbursement works, if a patient needs admission for medical reasons it is more lucrative for the IM to be consulted rather than admitting the patient under his own service).

Rad-onc doesn't admit patients very often because they don't have to, not because they can't. (funny enough, during my interventional radiology fellowship, we would occasionally admit patients for rad-onc as we had an overnight in-house presence and they didn't).

radonc generally does not admit patients. i dont know of any place where radonc has their own servie; if there is one, its a rare rare exception.

In some places they do. They will admit stuff like Stevens Johnson or these horrendous bullous self-dissolution things.

Ophtho will occasionally admit patients, but make generous use of hospitalist or IM consults (the way reimbursement works, if a patient needs admission for medical reasons it is more lucrative for the IM to be consulted rather than admitting the patient under his own service).

Rad-onc doesn't admit patients very often because they don't have to, not because they can't. (funny enough, during my interventional radiology fellowship, we would occasionally admit patients for rad-onc as we had an overnight in-house presence and they didn't).

the derm/optho inpatient admissions are (to quote steph) a rare, rare exception...

the reasons all 3 specialties DO NOT admit patients is b/c we arent trained in inpatient medicine, and our inpatient presence...

well that is a bit of a circular arguement. you dont want radoncs taking care of you in house because they dont take care of you inhouse. so its a bit of a tautology..

And derm and optho aren't subfields under the umbrella oncology so there is less of a reason to examine the appropraiteness of that position. Did you that elsewhere in the world oncologists get training in both med and radonc ?

well the fact of the matter is that we are not in other parts of the world, but in the US. here, surgeons get 5-7 years of training before doing a surgical oncology fellowship. IM gets 3 years of training before doing a 2-3 year oncology fellowship. same with peds. we get 1 year of training before a 4 year oncology subspecialty training.

that being said, we are more like derm/optho b/c of our 'sub-standard pre-oncology training'. although i am being trained in oncology, i am not being trained in inpatient medicine, antibiotics, treatment of common inpt problems, etc. one would be wary of comparing our training with that of surgonc and medonc, given the lack of this training.

and with reference to my so called 'tautology', i do not want radoncs taking care of me inhouse, because they dont know how to/care to/want to.

the reasons all 3 specialties DO NOT admit patients is b/c we arent trained in inpatient medicine, and our inpatient presence...

I disagree. All three don't admit because for the most part they don't have to. Most radonc patients are hooked up with either surgery or medonc anyway, so most of the time if they need admission they will go under those services.

The difference between care of a sick patient in an outpatient setting and the inpatient setting is mostly the amount of paper-pushing involved. Antibiotics don't suddenly change their properties because you give them to an inpatient. If you need help on a dosage or administration regime, just call up pharmacy, they love to help with these things. If patients get really sick, there is allways that magical institution of a consult. Outside of a academia (where salaries are for the most part independent from production), internists or surgeons don't mind doing consults (at least on insured patients). I am friends with our local rad-onc, and of course he admits the occasional patient. Usually, these are patients from out of town who are not tied in with a med-onc or surgeon locally. Rather than dumping them on a service that has no primary relationship with them, he admits and calls consults as needed (no need to involve surgery in a partial SBO or colitis unless/until you have a perf).

radonc generally does not admit patients. i dont know of any place where radonc has their own servie; if there is one, its a rare rare exception.

On our brachy service we often admit patients overnight and sometimes for two or more nights depending on the site. For instance head and neck brachy patients may need to be in for the potential of airway disaster. The drag is carrying the pager and getting a page at home at 11:30pm with some trivial nursing question. Alas it is still only a fraction of all the patients.

obviously your training would be changed to include the ability to manage inpatients if radonc changed its scope. docs could still consult IM or surgery or whoever needed. And btw I dont particularly want surgeons taking care of my "in patient needs" either. You think surgeons care to/want to take care of you in house? They don't. they want to do surgery. as for the "how to", that's the tautology as above. If the "dont want to" is what is driving this bus that's fine but let's call it for what it is.

Other options that are probably more palateable to radoncs who balk at having to takecare of inpts is having an inpt rotation service. So while they dont admit patients they will have a team that rounds daily on all of the radonc pts who are in house under other services.

well the fact of the matter is that we are not in other parts of the world, but in the US. here, surgeons get 5-7 years of training before doing a surgical oncology fellowship. IM gets 3 years of training before doing a 2-3 year oncology fellowship. same with peds. we get 1 year of training before a 4 year oncology subspecialty training.

that being said, we are more like derm/optho b/c of our 'sub-standard pre-oncology training'. although i am being trained in oncology, i am not being trained in inpatient medicine, antibiotics, treatment of common inpt problems, etc. one would be wary of comparing our training with that of surgonc and medonc, given the lack of this training.

and with reference to my so called 'tautology', i do not want radoncs taking care of me inhouse, because they dont know how to/care to/want to.

obviously your training would be changed to include the ability to manage inpatients if radonc changed its scope. docs could still consult IM or surgery or whoever needed. And btw I dont particularly want surgeons taking care of my "in patient needs" either. You think surgeons care to/want to take care of you in house? They don't. they want to do surgery. as for the "how to", that's the tautology as above. If the "dont want to" is what is driving this bus that's fine but let's call it for what it is.

if radiation oncology residencies include a 3 year training of inpatient gen med, then sure, we should take care of patients. all these posters on SDN in this forum say how transitional medicine is the way to go, its so easy, its so kush. those are exactly the type of people i dont want taking care of me or my family members.

plus, given the lack of presence of radoncs at night or on weekends, i can just imagine all the problems that would arise. here is the scenario: you admit a gyn brachy patient in house to radiation oncology. its 11pm, and the nurse taking Q6 vitals finds out the o2 sats are low (80's). she puts o2 on and calls the radonc resident on call (who btw lives 30 minutes away). the resident answers the page and asks for labs, ekg and an ABG. the nurse says we dont draw abgs but ill do the labs and ekg. the resident says, 'ok...call me with the info.' if it was a med/surg resident, they would be available, in-house, to come evaluate the patient and get things done. this may be exaggerated, but its not too far from reality if we start taking care of patients inhouse as the primary admitting team.

Other options that are probably more palateable to radoncs who balk at having to takecare of inpts is having an inpt rotation service. So while they dont admit patients they will have a team that rounds daily on all of the radonc pts who are in house under other services.

radonc residents should round on their inpts on a daily basis, or at least see them when they come down for treatment. thats what i do. most people dont. its easy to forget about inpts...b/c most people consider them as a 'hassle'.

most people don't do this. its nice that as a physician that you do, but as a feild we should seriously consider that for a systematic policy, not simply a matter of physician preference.

The only people that wonder why patients are not treated on weekends and holidays with radiation are people who have never treated a patient with radiation.

First, the radiobiological advantages of giving the body a rest for two days during the week to the patient's outcome and cancer cell killing illustrated by others above plays a large role. Next, and most important, the side effects of radiation take a cumulative toll. Fatigue, skin reactions, mucosal ulceration, etc are worst on a Friday after a five day treatment schedule, and ameliorated by Monday after a weekend without radiation therapy. Plus, the emotional cost of a cancer diagnosis and treatment is made much less taxing by giving the patient the opportunity to continue to live a regular and enjoyable life with friends/family on weekends and holidays.

if radiation oncology residencies include a 3 year training of inpatient gen med, then sure, we should take care of patients. all these posters on SDN in this forum say how transitional medicine is the way to go, its so easy, its so kush. those are exactly the type of people i dont want taking care of me or my family members.

plus, given the lack of presence of radoncs at night or on weekends, i can just imagine all the problems that would arise. here is the scenario: you admit a gyn brachy patient in house to radiation oncology. its 11pm, and the nurse taking Q6 vitals finds out the o2 sats are low (80's). she puts o2 on and calls the radonc resident on call (who btw lives 30 minutes away). the resident answers the page and asks for labs, ekg and an ABG. the nurse says we dont draw abgs but ill do the labs and ekg. the resident says, 'ok...call me with the info.' if it was a med/surg resident, they would be available, in-house, to come evaluate the patient and get things done. this may be exaggerated, but its not too far from reality if we start taking care of patients inhouse as the primary admitting team.

We have an inpatient service (mostly brachy patients, but occasionally others). Situations similar to (but not identical to) the above have happened, although rarely. They generally end with the rad onc resident driving in to evaluate the patient (and occasionally, if there really is a big problem, transfer to a medicine team, although this is very rare (both having a real problem and transferring the patient off of our team)).

I would like to point out, though, that out in private practice, there is not always a doctor in house during the night (esp. at hospitals with no residents - the only MD may be in the ER, and they wouldn't always have time to evaluate someone else's patient on the floor). Not that I am advocating increasing the inpatient presence of rad oncs. I think that managing inpatients is similar to any other medical skill. If you're going to be any good at it, you need to do a lot of it. Otherwise, you should leave it to someone who is good at it (i.e. hospitalists). We have a pretty busy brachy service, so that staff feels comfortable admitting (also had prior training as an oncologist).

Agreed!

The only people that wonder why patients are not treated on weekends and holidays with radiation are people who have never treated a patient with radiation.

First, the radiobiological advantages of giving the body a rest for two days during the week to the patient's outcome and cancer cell killing illustrated by others above plays a large role. Next, and most important, the side effects of radiation take a cumulative toll. Fatigue, skin reactions, mucosal ulceration, etc are worst on a Friday after a five day treatment schedule, and ameliorated by Monday after a weekend without radiation therapy. Plus, the emotional cost of a cancer diagnosis and treatment is made much less taxing by giving the patient the opportunity to continue to live a regular and enjoyable life with friends/family on weekends and holidays.

I'm one of those people, but here's to hoping you might take my arguments seriously.
First, the radiobiological advantages of giving the body a rest for two days during the week to the patient's outcome and cancer cell killing illustrated by others above plays a large role.
What publication or study dictates that rest days have to be during the weekend?

Next, and most important, the side effects of radiation take a cumulative toll. Fatigue, skin reactions, mucosal ulceration, etc are worst on a Friday after a five day treatment schedule, and ameliorated by Monday after a weekend without radiation therapy.
Do these same studies suggest that Saturday or Sunday versus Wednesday or Thursday is the best day to rest from treatment?

Plus, the emotional cost of a cancer diagnosis and treatment is made much less taxing by giving the patient the opportunity to continue to live a regular and enjoyable life with friends/family on weekends and holidays.
Treatment on the weekends and rest days on weekdays would lead to less interruptions of patient life during the week - folks who work (admittedly, not the majority population of patients being treated) don't have to have to interrupt their workday to receive treatment. At the very least weekend treatment and weekday rest would open up more options for patients.

Also, there would be more opportunities for increasing patient volume by by opening up the weekend for treatment - although this reasoning should be subservient to most effectively treating the patient.

I admit that there probably isn't any good reason why RT *must* be done on the weekends. But I am not convinced by your reasoning above as to why RT should not be done on weekends - enlighten me, please.

This is not a flame, but these questions are fairly idiotic. I hope you realize that and are asking idiotic questions for their ironic value. It would be sad if you were actually serious about those inquiries.

On the other hand, here's an intelligent question:
Are there any studies or publications showing that wiping front to back results in a cleaner anus? If not, then why do it that way? Since there's no advantage to posterorgrade wiping, then shouldn't you start wiping your ass instead back to front? I admit, there's probably no advantage to doing it that way, but I'm not convinced that your bum is as clean as it could be if you did it that way; or better yet, since again you don't have any level 1 evidence, why not do it to-and-fro, side-to-side, or in a circular pattern? It pains me to think of how inefficient your wiping is.

I hope I'm taken seriously now.

I'm one of those people, but here's to hoping you might take my arguments seriously.
What publication or study dictates that rest days have to be during the weekend?

Do these same studies suggest that Saturday or Sunday versus Wednesday or Thursday is the best day to rest from treatment?

Treatment on the weekends and rest days on weekdays would lead to less interruptions of patient life during the week - folks who work (admittedly, not the majority population of patients being treated) don't have to have to interrupt their workday to receive treatment. At the very least weekend treatment and weekday rest would open up more options for patients.

Also, there would be more opportunities for increasing patient volume by by opening up the weekend for treatment - although this reasoning should be subservient to most effectively treating the patient.

I admit that there probably isn't any good reason why RT *must* be done on the weekends. But I am not convinced by your reasoning above as to why RT should not be done on weekends - enlighten me, please.

This is not a flame, but these questions are fairly idiotic. I hope you realize that and are asking idiotic questions for their ironic value. It would be sad if you were actually serious about those inquiries.

This is a flame, and what is idiotic about his questions ?

Are there any studies or publications showing that wiping front to back results in a cleaner anus? If not, then why do it that way? Since there's no advantage to posterorgrade wiping, then shouldn't you start wiping your ass instead back to front? I admit, there's probably no advantage to doing it that way, but I'm not convinced that your bum is as clean as it could be if you did it that way; or better yet, since again you don't have any level 1 evidence, why not do it to-and-fro, side-to-side, or in a circular pattern? It pains me to think of how inefficient your wiping is.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Holy crap, I was laughing so hard that I think I'll have to take some of the wiping lessons now..

BAHA! Classic.

And you'd be right, I asked these questions in a sarcastic manner to point out the (IMHO) faulty reasoning of some of the posters above. No study is going to say that New Years Day is better than Independence Day for an RT holiday. And yes, no one cares if one breaks the egg from the little end or the big end, or puts butter on top of toast or on the bottom. But I think that there is a place for presenting a question in that manner if it is to point out the fallacy of a faulty position. If poster #36 & his/her supporter #38 wants to be dismissive of those who "aren't in the field" or "don't understand", they should be called to support their position against logic. After all, if you criticize me for "fairly idiotic" questions, shouldn't you also be against "fairly idiotic" positions?

I also thank you for your wonderfully astute and meaningful contribution to the discussion.

This is a flame, and what is idiotic about his questions ?

The question that is the subject of this thread is a good question; the answer to it is important for both our own rad onc residents to know for those who are not in our field to understand. This thread has generated a lot of good discussion.

However, D&G's latest questions in response to ParticlePower's post do little to generate good discussion, as they are cynical and rhetorical -- the answer to them is apparent to anyone with a little common sense. Taking the role of Devil's advocate just for the sake of adding fuel to the fire without making a valid argument is the idiocy I spoke of.

To break this down, I'll be more specific:

Doctor&Geek said:
"What publication or study dictates that rest days have to be during the weekend?"
Obviously no study like that has been done, will be done, or needs to be done.

A better question would be, what study shows that rest days are necessary? Why do we fractionate? Is the overall time of treatment important? These are the intriguing questions that get to the heart of radiotherapy (and aspects of these questions have already been alluded to by steph and others).

The question above is no better than asking something like "what study dictates that the mailman shouldn't deliver our mail on Sunday instead of any other day?" Nobody over the age of 3 would ever ask such a question seriously.

Doctor&Geek said:
"Do these same studies suggest that Saturday or Sunday versus Wednesday or Thursday is the best day to rest from treatment?"

This is when Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels come together and Dumb begets Dumber. Sadly, this statement does nothing to advance the argument any further than statement #1 did, as they basically ask the exact same question, and it's just being argumentative.

Anyone with a basic education knows that: 1) the earth is older than 4,000 years, and 2) the named days of the week are simply arbitrary divisions, and the week itself is purely a human invention without an astronomical or biological basis.

"I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." Wimpy understood it well. The names of the days are arbitrary, just like how we arbitrarily call a certain unit length a "meter" and just like how we conveniently based our decimal number system on the number 10. We could've just as well taught our youngsters to count in base-7 and used a different unit length that we call a Beeblebrox, and still the universe, the laws of physics, and mathematics would still behave the same way as we know it now.

The cells in your body cannot tell what day of the week it is. They go about their business just the same no matter what day your wristwatch says it is. Your hair will grow the same length from a Wednesday to Wednesday as from Sunday to Sunday. Taking a leap of faith here, your cells are just as susceptible to the effects of ionizing radiation on a Monday as they are on a Friday. And they repair sublethal damage just as well, too. Similarly, the charged particles that do the dirty work of the radiation are naive to the day of the week. It's all the same to them.

This, of course, is obvious to almost anyone. So then why did D&G, whom I assume to be a reasonable human being, make the point of asking if any studies show a difference between treatment breaks on Sat/Sun vs Wed/Thu? Anyone can look at that question and see how ridiculous it is. So it must have been asked with the intention of aggravating an argument. Those who understand that treatment breaks are necessary for safely delivering course of radiation never asserted that there's something magic about a Saturday and a Sunday as the reason for not treating on those specific days. Yet, somehow, D&G took it as meaning that. A reasonable person would see that the economics of labor are no different in radiation oncology as any other field. An automotive repair shop, a lawyer's office, Chick-Fil-A, college football, the mailman -- no one questions why these entities are open or closed on the specific days they are. So in radiation oncology, when 2 treatment breaks per 7 days are necessary, why question that Saturday and Sunday are the off days when it should be obvious that other day pairings would go against the work schedule that the civilized world has been operating on for millennia?

That is what's idiotic about it.

so many words, so little content

Now, he's the one actually taking my questions far too seriously. Did I not say in post #44 and in my original post that I was being completely ironic?

My cynicism and rhetorical argument has more to do with the lack of any substantive argument dictating that we shouldn't pursue RT on *weekends or holidays*, not having any rest day, period. I completely accept the reasoning and evidence that rest days ARE GOOD. What I don't accept is the faulty assumption that rest days have to occur on weekends or holidays, when it's "convenient" for providers to take a day off.

Answer these questions then:

Do you accept that when rest days occur, as long as they occur, don't matter?
Do you accept that why no RT is given on the weekends specifically is given for economic reasons, and not for any radiobiologically relevant reasons?
Is it not better for patient choice to allow RT be provided on weekends?
Can patient volume be increased by allowing RT to be provided on the weekends?

It's really difficult for me to argue with you, considering that you yourself admit that the only way any intelligent person could interpret my original post was with a sense of irony. I admit it as such (twice!) but then you proceed to pretend that I really was, in fact, being totally serious.

I can understand completely if there are good economic or administrative reasons for not pursuing RT on weekends. What I can't accept is a rationale saying that "it's good for the patient", at least based on the evidence shown here. I'm totally prepared to be proven wrong on these points.

I'll pose my original question in different wording....

Why no outpatient chemotherapy infusions on the weekend ?

With the exception of primary care offices that have weekend hours, there is very little non-emergent, outpatient medicine that occurs on the weekend. Some subspecialists do have clinic hours on the weekend, but this is unusual.

Economical reasons are certainly legitimate, particularly in an era when health care costs are blossoming. In a radiation oncology clinic, there are innumerable non-salaried (i.e. hourly) employees- nurses, therapists, secretaries, as well as salaried employees (physicists, physicians, engineers, dosimetrists).

Certainly it would be nice for the patient to choose his/her radiation schedule to fit his/her needs, but medicine simply does not work that way. A patient does not choose the OR time for a non-emergent procedure- which undoubtedly will not be on a weekend. Like the radiation oncology clinic, the OR is generally not staffed on weekends to cover non-emergent cases.

Perhaps patient volume can be increased by allowing the patients to choose which days of the week they can have off, but if the clinic wants to fill all of their daily spots, this will creat a nightmare for scheduling, i.e. patients will probably have to switch their treatment times on a frequent basis to accomodate those patients which choose different days off.

Bottom line- radiobiologically, planned treatment breaks are a necessity to reduce acute toxcity, and maximize dose delivery. For economical reasons as well as employee satisfaction, weekends have been chosen as the best times for breaks

Given that radiation therapy equipment is a considerable capital outlay, it would make sense to use it for longer hours and possibly on weekends. The only limiting factor against this is staff recruitment and retention.

Now, he's the one actually taking my questions far too seriously. Did I not say in post #44 and in my original post that I was being completely ironic?

My post was in response to f_w's comment (post #41) and was sent before I had a chance to read your response (#44) admitting your sarcasm. I'm a top-down reader.

Doctor&Geek said:
My cynicism and rhetorical argument has more to do with the lack of any substantive argument dictating that we shouldn't pursue RT on *weekends or holidays*, not having any rest day, period. I completely accept the reasoning and evidence that rest days ARE GOOD. What I don't accept is the faulty assumption that rest days have to occur on weekends or holidays, when it's "convenient" for providers to take a day off.

Answer these questions then:

Do you accept that when rest days occur, as long as they occur, don't matter?
The day of the week obviously doesn't matter. However, the timing matters -- giving a certain number of rest days after a certain amount of treatment has been given.

Do you accept that why no RT is given on the weekends specifically is given for economic reasons, and not for any radiobiologically relevant reasons?
Absolutely.

I think we're in agreement that:
1) Breaks are necessary.
2) Giving breaks on Saturday/Sunday is not biologically different than giving the breaks on Tuesday/Wednesday

However, for economic and practical reasons, it makes a lot more sense for the department to give all patients breaks on weekends, when the department is closed, than to run a continuous 7 day a week operation as you had suggested.

It hasn't been already pointed out that:
a) patients are treated on an as-needed basis on weekends for emergencies
b) breaks can be given mid-week for excessive toxicities

Is it not better for patient choice to allow RT be provided on weekends?
Sure, there are a lot of things that could be done to increase patient choice: allow them the option of weekend treatments, treat later in the day, to pick the order of beam delivery ("Hey, Bob, do you want your AP first, or PA?"), decide when they want port films taken, and designer tattoos (the Bart Man one is really popular). Too bad this ain't Burger King.

I haven't ever heard patients ask to get treated on the weekend. Going through a six or seven week course of treatment, five days/week, is hard enough. Weekends are much deserved. I imagine if I polled my patients to see if they wanted to come in on their saturdays and sundays (especially with this being the Bible belt), not one would elect to do so.

There may be a few patients -- those who work, as you already mentioned -- who would potentially benefit from weekend treatments by not having to miss work days. Unfortunately, out of the 7 days in a week, 5 are treatment days, and there are only 2 weekend (non-work) days. So this isn't going to significantly benefit them, and as you mentioned, most patients aren't in the workforce.

So what's the point?

Can patient volume be increased by allowing RT to be provided on the weekends?
If thruput were limited by the number of patients who could be treated on a machine daily, then expanding to a 7-day workweek would eliminate that bottleneck and indeed increase patient volume. Only in the busiest of centers is the number of treatment days per week the limiting factor. In most places, it is the number of patients consulted on that determines patient volume, and adding 2 days to the workweek does not change the referral volume. In this latter instance, proving RT on weekends would not impact patient volume, but would decrease efficiency by almost 30%.

It's really difficult for me to argue with you, considering that you yourself admit that the only way any intelligent person could interpret my original post was with a sense of irony. I admit it as such (twice!) but then you proceed to pretend that I really was, in fact, being totally serious.
Again, it was posted before you confessed taking an ironic stance.

I can understand completely if there are good economic or administrative reasons for not pursuing RT on weekends. What I can't accept is a rationale saying that "it's good for the patient", at least based on the evidence shown here. I'm totally prepared to be proven wrong on these points.
Please see above for the economic impact. I can elaborate more on this if you desire, but I shouldn't have to.

I don't think any other poster in here stated that no treatment on the weekend per se is what's good for the patient. It's the break in treatment that matters. No one split hairs over that (except you, but that was irony).

I think the original post was something about a non-rad onc doctor trying to bully a radonc resident into treating an inpatient over the weekend, since they were "already in house anyway." The point being made is that the doctor does not understand why we treat that way. They shouldn't be expected to know anything about radiobiology, but it would be helpful to educate them a little when issues like that come up. Instead of responding with, "We don't treat on weekends!#$452one12435" or, "The only person here on Saturday is housekeeping and they ain't gonna treat you!", one could say something like "the patient's tissues need to be given time to recover from radiation, so they'll be off this weekend, but we'll resume treatment again on Monday" or something even more contrived.

There's a lot that other doctors don't understand about radiation, the way it works, etc., so they see a break over the weekend as a lost opportunity.