Why is Podiatry neglected by Govt organizations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning to apply for NIH research program for summer and saw that they have a program specially designed for Medical and Dental students but nothing for Podiatry students. The same is in national health corps,etc. Again the same situation in Armed Forces, and the list goes on.

i dont have any plans for a PhD and main aim is to be a good clinician. i was just looking for summer timepass but this makes me think what if there is a Pod student who is seriously thinking of research in biochem or pharma? i know individual schools have research oppurtunities. But no one matches the NIH reputation in research as well as monetray reimbursments.

But iam having hardtime thinking why are the people in US govt finding it so hard to accept Podiatry in mainstream. We are a rational and well educated society. Why is it so hard to recognize podiatry? Is APMA doing anything abt this?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you can PM the APMA rep who's on SDN. I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of recognition by the Armed Forces too. Podiatrists are physicians... don't understand why the Armed Forces aren't recognizing that fact. It's in their best interest to if they ever want to recruit professionals who happen to be foot & ankle surgeons.
Yeah, it would make sense for NIH to provide opportunities for podiatry students, especially considering the knowledge in treating diabetic foot conditions.

students, especially considering the knowledge in treating diabetic foot conditions.

Not only Diabetic foot but we have every right to get oppurtunities in all basic biomedical science research. We take full body physio, biochem, pharma, anatomy,micro, immuno, pathlogy. So that makes us more than eligible to participate in any on going research in one of these fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning to apply for NIH research program for summer and saw that they have a program specially designed for Medical and Dental students but nothing for Podiatry students. The same is in national health corps,etc. Again the same situation in Armed Forces, and the list goes on.

i dont have any plans for a PhD and main aim is to be a good clinician. i was just looking for summer timepass but this makes me think what if there is a Pod student who is seriously thinking of research in biochem or pharma? i know individual schools have research oppurtunities. But no one matches the NIH reputation in research as well as monetray reimbursments.

But iam having hardtime thinking why are the people in US govt finding it so hard to accept Podiatry in mainstream. We are a rational and well educated society. Why is it so hard to recognize podiatry? Is APMA doing anything abt this?

I think that you are mistaken. Did you go to the NIH website and type in podiatry in the search box? The training programs are open to students in a health profession not just MD/DO. I am sure that Scholl has a summer research program. David Armstrong is the king of NIH grants in podiatry. You are correct in saying we can do more than just diabetes, one of my classmates did cancer treatment research while in school.

You need to do a little more research on this topic and than you can fly off the handle. You must remember that DPMs are a very small population. Most organizations will play to the masses and the largest groups are MD, DO, and DDS. That is were I go back to saying when you read "medical school," remember you are in medical school.

Maybe you can PM the APMA rep who's on SDN. I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of recognition by the Armed Forces too. Podiatrists are physicians... don't understand why the Armed Forces aren't recognizing that fact. It's in their best interest to if they ever want to recruit professionals who happen to be foot & ankle surgeons.
Yeah, it would make sense for NIH to provide opportunities for podiatry students, especially considering the knowledge in treating diabetic foot conditions.

Pods are used in the armed forces. One of the best trauma residencies is through the Army. The Army just increase the top ranking for podiatrist to a Colonel or LT Colonel (I can't remeber which) which is one or two ranks below the top medical officer a Brigadier General (one star general).

Pods are used in the armed forces. One of the best trauma residencies is through the Army. The Army just increase the top ranking for podiatrist to a Colonel or LT Colonel (I can't remeber which) which is one or two ranks below the top medical officer a Brigadier General (one star general).

Yup, that's right and it's great. I was referring to the fact that the Health Professions Scholarship is not offered to podiatry students even though podiatrists are physicians. The armed forces also group them separate from Physicians (under Allied Health professionals instead) even though the armed forces only take podiatrists that perform surgical procedures. On the bright side, they do make more than dentists in the services (but dentists are given the opportunity to receive the scholarship while in school whereas podiatrists are only given the loan pay back route).

Yup, that's right and it's great. I was referring to the fact that the Health Professions Scholarship is not offered to podiatry students even though podiatrists are physicians. The armed forces also group them separate from Physicians (under Allied Health professionals instead) even though the armed forces only take podiatrists that perform surgical procedures. On the bright side, they do make more than dentists in the services (but dentists are given the opportunity to receive the scholarship while in school whereas podiatrists are only given the loan pay back route).

Yes, yes and yes. That is all correct info. I agree that it would be nice to allow pods in the program but you must remember that DOs were not allowed awhile back. A very intelligent person told me that "you don't invite yourself to dinner." By that I mean as podiatrist we need to continue to earn the respect of others. Our profession is always trying to push our way to equality, which is the wrong approach. We need to become more united and push our way into the public eye (similar to way the ADA has done for DDS). This is why I'm not a huge supporter of PPAC, I think that the money could be better spent.