why is match rate so high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluelamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2020 nrmp data shows pretty much over 90% people match in DR regardless of step score range. is the demand that high? or is it cuz community programs lead to this high increase in match rate?

Members don't see this ad.

2020 nrmp data shows pretty much over 90% people match in DR regardless of step score range. is the demand that high? or is it cuz community programs lead to this high increase in match rate?

There’s a bipolar distribution. You have programs with 245-260 range applicants and then shady ones with 225-235 range. That’s why the mean is still 243. You can probably do rads somewhere with a 225 but it will most likely be a garbage program

There’s a bipolar distribution. You have programs with 245-260 range applicants and then shady ones with 225-235 range. That’s why the mean is still 243. You can probably do rads somewhere with a 225 but it will most likely be a garbage program

Name one garbage program. Truth is that you'll become a great radiologist no matter where you train thanks to acgme doing its job.

Demand for radiologists is still good, no one cares where you trained lol. No unemployed radiologists

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your question even?

2020 nrmp data shows pretty much over 97% positions are filled in DR. is the supply that high? or is it cuz top tier medical students lead to this high increase in fill rate?

Reactions: 1 user
Name one garbage program. Truth is that you'll become a great radiologist no matter where you train thanks to acgme doing its job.

Demand for radiologists is still good, no one cares where you trained lol. No unemployed radiologists

for some reason there is this perception in medical school that if youre not training at "University of _____" its a garbage program. Stupid

Reactions: 6 users
I’m sure there are some programs with a long history of less than stellar board pass rates. Avoid those. Otherwise you’ll be fine.

What is your question even?

2020 nrmp data shows pretty much over 97% positions are filled in DR. is the supply that high? or is it cuz top tier medical students lead to this high increase in fill rate?
my original question was why is the match rate so high when it is perceived as a competitive specialty.

Self-selection also affects this.
i dont understand. there are many people applying to DR with all range of board scores and they pretty much all match...where is the self-selection?

i dont understand. there are many people applying to DR with all range of board scores and they pretty much all match...where is the self-selection?
I think that the match rate would be worse if there was not a perceived level of competitiveness. It would mean more people applying for the same level of spots. I think the nitty gritty analysis of specialty competitiveness is kind of useless because it's based on too many loose factors. And besides, who cares? Apply to the field if you like it and understand it. Or don't lol.

I think that the match rate would be worse if there was not a perceived level of competitiveness. It would mean more people applying for the same level of spots. I think the nitty gritty analysis of specialty competitiveness is kind of useless because it's based on too many loose factors. And besides, who cares? Apply to the field if you like it and understand it. Or don't lol.
guess im gonna strike while the iron is hot

The perceived competitiveness is from the center of the board score distribution, not the range. Radiology is the largest specialty that has a mean Step 1 >240 among matched applicants. As you point out, the match rate is high, so this high mean must be due to self-selection. People judged competitiveness not only by the match rate, but also the likelihood that they personally can match at the program they want. If you have a 235, you're below average and even though you will likely match, it is less likely to be at the program that you want than if the entire field of applicants were shifted to the level of internal medicine or pediatrics.

Reactions: 2 users
The perceived competitiveness is from the center of the board score distribution, not the range. Radiology is the largest specialty that has a mean Step 1 >240 among matched applicants. As you point out, the match rate is high, so this high mean must be due to self-selection. People judged competitiveness not only by the match rate, but also the likelihood that they personally can match at the program they want. If you have a 235, you're below average and even though you will likely match, it is less likely to be at the program that you want than if the entire field of applicants were shifted to the level of internal medicine or pediatrics.
This definitely played some role in my specialty selection among two specialties I liked more or less equally. We'll see if this is hubris by me after this cycle, but I was far more worried about what kind of program I would likely match to and how that would affect pursuing specific goals if I became x specialty doc versus y specialty doc than just simply matching to the specialty at all.

For example with my career interests, I would be content in a decent community DR program but a weaker anesthesiology program would be incompatible with my goals in the field. Some people would likely be quite unhappy with a community DR program and thus don't apply to the field as academics is really important to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
so people are just good at applying and subsequently ranking programs that they wanna end up in? i mean i guess that makes sense. but its crazy to think that everyone knows what programs will take them...esp so much so to the point that the match rate is insanely high

so people are just good at applying and subsequently ranking programs that they wanna end up in? i mean i guess that makes sense. but its crazy to think that everyone knows what programs will take them...esp so much so to the point that the match rate is insanely high
I wouldn't characterize it as everyone knows what programs will take them. Last year, the average US grad applying to DR submitted 48 applications. That's sounds more like a shotgun approach.

The board score distribution for DR applicants is much higher than most other fields. It tends to attract high Step scorers since it's a very cerebral field and it has appeal for people who enjoy academics. There just happens to be enough residency spots for applicants at the moment so it's not too competitive to match.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol...why are we speculating? Isn't it obvious? The match rate is high because there are a ton of spots. Supply. That's all. Yes, the top end is competitive, just like any other specialty. FM at MGH is going to be super competitive no matter what.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol...why are we speculating? Isn't it obvious? The match rate is high because there are a ton of spots. Supply. That's all. Yes, the top end is competitive, just like any other specialty. FM at MGH is going to be super competitive no matter what.
that was my second thought lol

This. No reason to over complicate it. Supply of spots is pretty much equal to demand for spots. Thus high match rates. Rads has always been interesting in that average stats are high but match rate is also high. All that means is that the top and middle of the road programs are going to be competitive (as those average applicants with 240s will on average end up at average programs) while getting any spot at all isn’t that hard.

The real question is why don’t more people apply? And that’s probably because of radiology being a pretty unique specialty with less patient interaction. Either that appeals to you or it doesn’t.

Reactions: 3 users
This. No reason to over complicate it. Supply of spots is pretty much equal to demand for spots. Thus high match rates. Rads has always been interesting in that average stats are high but match rate is also high. All that means is that the top and middle of the road programs are going to be competitive (as those average applicants with 240s will on average end up at average programs) while getting any spot at all isn’t that hard.

The real question is why don’t more people apply? And that’s probably because of radiology being a pretty unique specialty with less patient interaction. Either that appeals to you or it doesn’t.
I think more people would apply if they had a better understanding of the field and the variations of practice. The average student has a terrible idea of how life works for any specialty outside the academic center but I think non-core specialties are even harder to truly understand. I think it suffers the opposite problems of anesthesiology in a way too. Everyone thinks anesthesia is some dream land of 7-3 bliss and everyone thinks radiology is sitting in the dark alone reading negative chest x rays and AI taking their job in 3 years.

Reactions: 5 users
That's the perfect example because MGH does not have an FM program.

• Haha
There are competitive fm programs?

Just kidding. Don’t hate message me.

• Haha
i guess this q was what i was trying to figure out

Self-selection also affects this.
It did with me, I took 1 look at that step 1 average of 240 and was like nope. Now here I am. Life's funny