What attire (colored scrubs) do you wear to work in retail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkie212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what attire you wear to work? Do you wear business casual attire in retail? Or do you wear scrubs (with or without a white coat?)... I haven't worked in retail for several years, so I just was curious what the norm was... Usually I dress in business casual attire. But I have noticed that recently that most retail pharmacist just wear scrubs with a white coat... Additionally is there a color code in which to wear in retail?.... While I was working in-patient care at the hospital and would just wear a light blue scrub usually (but haven't saw any retail pharmacist wearing light blue)... just curious as to/if there is a certain color scrub in which I needed to wear as a pharmacist in a retail setting

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering what attire you wear to work? Do you wear business casual attire in retail? Or do you wear scrubs (with or without a white coat?)... I haven't worked in retail for several years, so I just was curious what the norm was... Usually I dress in business casual attire. But I have noticed that recently that most retail pharmacist just wear scrubs with a white coat... Additionally is there a color code in which to wear in retail?.... While I was working in-patient care at the hospital and would just wear a light blue scrub usually (but haven't saw any retail pharmacist wearing light blue)... just curious as to/if there is a certain color scrub in which I needed to wear as a pharmacist in a retail setting

I'm never wearing business attire ever again. Looks like **** and feels like **** compared to scrubs.

My favorite scrub color is Black.

Reactions: 2 users
Business casual now that rite aid finally got rid of their khaki pants/navy shirt requirement. I don't know anyone that wears scrubs in retail.

Members don't see this ad :)
why do pharmacists need scrubs?

Dress attire has been more casual since COVID. Mostly seeing RPhs rocking navy, blue, black, and grey
I personally choose navy or black but still do prefer standard dress attire (still comfortable...all about choosing the right fabrics and fit)...all black, Steve Jobs esque formula (lack of though, no decision fatigue)

If it's the norm for your environment, then why not?

Scrubs since COVID (with white coat as it is part of my required “PPE” for immunizations). I have blue, grey, and purple sets, but any darker color is fine.

They are comfortable and make dressing up for work cheaper and easier and the standard in the healthcare world.

It makes zero sense for pharmacists or doctors to be wearing suits or dress shirts/slacks/tie.
I thought the function of scrubs was they are cheap and easy to clean and get rid of. I can see why nurses need them. Not sure why pharmacists need them.

I thought the function of scrubs was they are cheap and easy to clean and get rid of. I can see why nurses need them. Not sure why pharmacists need them.

There are way too many people in this country who worry about why others feel they need something or not. If someone can/wants to wear scrubs, who gives a **** why? Why are you so concerned about it?

Reactions: 3 users
There are way too many people in this country who worry about why others feel they need something or not. If someone can/wants to wear scrubs, who gives a **** why? Why are you so concerned about it?
I was just wondering. I am not concerned and if pharmacists want to wear them, more power to them.

Now that a lot of us are doing vaccines and covid tests, seems more sanitary to just toss them into the washer after use instead of business attire which tends to get worn multiple times before going to the dry cleaner.

Three letter: scrubs on pharmacists are a violation of the dress code policy

Members don't see this ad :)
Scrubs are so COMFORTABLE!!! It is like wearing "professional" sweats to work!!! ... I havent worked in retail in a long time, so I am/was used to wearing business casual outfits to work in the past... But I am currently working as an immunizer at CVS, and just noticed that all pharmacist at CVS wear scrubs under their white coats (well at least in the area that I am working in)... So I was just thinking maybe I should switch from wearing my button down shirts and pants, to scrubs instead (plus it's cheaper than shopping online for business attire)
.. Just curious ... just a light-hearted question :)

Last edited:
Scrubs are so COMFORTABLE!!! It is like wearing "professional" sweats to work!!! ... I havent worked in retail in a long time, so I am/was used to wearing business casual outfits to work in the past... But I am currently working as an immunizer at CVS, and just noticed that all pharmacist at CVS wear scrubs under their white coats (well at least in the area that I am working in)... So I was just thinking maybe I should switch from wearing my button down shirts and pants, to scrubs instead (plus it's cheaper than shopping online for business attire)
.. Just curious ... just a light-hearted question :)

I think it all depends on the location and management. For example: Kroger techs in certain KMAs were allowed to wear scrubs. In a different KMA in the same state, they had to wear khaki pants and blue smocks.

I think it all depends on the location and management. For example: Kroger techs in certain KMAs were allowed to wear scrubs. In a different KMA in the same state, they had to wear khaki pants and blue smocks.

Well thanks for keeping me in the loop... Just wondering what color scrubs people wore? Cause I know different scrubs colors, stand for different professions/status. or maybe it really doesnt matter at all .. I prefer to wear black cause it is slimming... hahaha... so just wanted to know if people wore scrubs, based on their favorite outfit colors in general! :1geek:

Well thanks for keeping me in the loop... Just wondering what color scrubs people wore? Cause I know different scrubs colors, stand for different professions/status. or maybe it really doesnt matter at all .. I prefer to wear black cause it is slimming... hahaha... so just wanted to know if people wore scrubs, based on their favorite outfit colors in general! :1geek:

I personally have many different colors to keep things interesting. Here, we had discussed trying to get a department/service color but we would all HAVE to wear that one color all the time. Too many of us have bought scrubs of different colors over the years and we would never be able to wear them again so that idea was shot down.

I personally have many different colors to keep things interesting. Here, we had discussed trying to get a department/service color but we would all HAVE to wear that one color all the time. Too many of us have bought scrubs of different colors over the years and we would never be able to wear them again so that idea was shot down.

At my hospital we were told that we are absolutely not allowed to wear Navy Blue (only Nurses allowed to wear this) or Maroon ( Nursing Assistants).

I personally like black, olive green, bright green, and royal blue.

Use common sense...if you're getting a visit, have something big like inventory day, etc. dress up
Personally, I've had upper management drop by unannounced. And in my region, dress code was specifically addressed on a conference call a few months ago. I've also reached out to other colleagues at the same three-letter in other regions, and they too have had to stop wearing scrubs.

Personally, I've had upper management drop by unannounced. And in my region, dress code was specifically addressed on a conference call a few months ago. I've also reached out to other colleagues at the same three-letter in other regions, and they too have had to stop wearing scrubs.
Hmmm, regional differences it seems. Anyways, go with what the norm is in your area

I'm never wearing a dress shirt, tie, dress pants and a belt again if I don't have to. Scrubs are like wearing pajamas.

Reactions: 1 users
Might as well ask why we need to wear clothes at all. There is no “need” involved, we just do it.
Apples to oranges. Scrubs have a function and I was asking which function they fulfil for a pharmacist. Another poster already answered that it's good for covid tests and vaccines and I agree. When I was a tech 10 years ago my pharmacist never did those things so you can see why I would be curious.

Apples to oranges. Scrubs have a function and I was asking which function they fulfil for a pharmacist. Another poster already answered that it's good for covid tests and vaccines and I agree. When I was a tech 10 years ago my pharmacist never did those things so you can see why I would be curious.
Scrubs have the same function as all other clothing. You can go outside without getting arrested for indecent exposure. There is no “need” for scrubs. They are comfortable and it is socially accepted for us to wear them, for the most part. That’s it. :)

I'm never wearing a dress shirt, tie, dress pants and a belt again if I don't have to. Scrubs are like wearing pajamas.

Every time I wore those, I would sweat up a storm and it would just look nasty. That and it's annoying to do heavy lifting tasks while wearing that. Shirts start getting untucked, wrinkled etc.

Every time I wore those, I would sweat up a storm and it would just look nasty. That and it's annoying to do heavy lifting tasks while wearing that. Shirts start getting untucked, wrinkled etc.

Yep CVS wouldn't turn on the AC in the summer and I'd be sweating balls. The women would whatever they wanted like skirts and shirts, but men were not allowed to wear shorts.