Why I believe UMDNJSOM is the most "unosteopathic DO school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njdesi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hopping that this thread may not anger or offend people, but I would like to share briefly my experience with the Dean of Admissions at UMDNJSOM. I am a NJ state resident, a graduate of Rutgers University (3.3 undergrad, 3.16 postbaac, science cum 3.03), and have an MPH from the UMDNJ system (3.85) (and a 25P MCAT). My file has been "on hold for an interview" at UMDNJSOM for months. I finally e-mailed and talked to Dean Warren Wallace what makes my application too good for rejection, but not good enough for an interview. His answer is the most bull **** answer I have heard from any osteopathic medical school admissions person ever : "your science GPA and MCAT is below our average". I never expected a DO school to
be so numbers oriented. I am positive if I was a Hispanic or African American female I would have been given an interview. I realize now that these state funded medical schools are very political. I am Asian so I am expected to come with a higher GPA and MCAT score.

I thought that DO schools looked at more than just numbers! I have been interviewed and accepted at 4 DO schools. I had to turn down interviews at KCOM and UNECOM due to lack of funds and time. I will be heading off to PCOM in August. UMDNJSOM cannot even compare to KCOM and PCOM.

I am still left to wonder why this school is so arrogant. It's OMM hours is among the lowest of DO schools, its clinical affiliations are mediocre at best, and the facilities cannot compare to other sister schools such as PCOM and KCOM. It does not even have nationally ranked osteopathic hospitals such as MSUCOM, OUCOM, TCOM and WVSOM among the state funded DO schools. I feel this school is overrated and arrogant.

Members don't see this ad.

njdesi...just my quick take, be happy with what you have received. No comment on the race issue you raise. You seem a bit wound up for having 4 acceptences. Believe me, someday you will have a Chief of Staff or patients for that matter who are arrogant and not the nicest people. How will you feel then?

Congrats on your acceptances. Sorry about not getting the interview you want. Kinda sounds like sour grapes. Good luck at PCOM!

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on the four acceptances and move past the one.

try not to be too sour on the minority status....... The world of medicine needs diversity and it is up to admissions to contribute to such-

I am a white non-minority who often sees this look down the nose attitude toward minorities BS- leave it be.... and make the best of what you have to offer the field you enter (from PCOM or NJSOM) you have to focus on the bigger goal-

good luck at PCOM

i agree with LINY on the minority issue-- it is a total tar-baby (if your familiar with the story) I was told by my state schools admissions that if "only i you were a woman or a minority you would be in anywhere!" I was super upset and it bothered me for a time but i figure i can't do anything to change it-- but i do believe it will change eventually.
As far as the school goes, it is frustrating when you have one expectation and are given a totally different response. But, as others have said, i'd take what you have and run with it!! Best of luck to you at pcom.

njdesi,
I understand your frustration, but different schools look for diffrent people. It's just one of those things we as applicants have to deal with. That is how we may get an interview in one school and not at another. The schools that invited you for an interview saw your potential. And the schools that accept you WANT you, so that on its own can make you happy at that school. Things happen for a reason! Good luck in PCOM and I will most likely see you there. ;)

Maybe The school chooses a certain number of low science GPAs and a certain number of high science GPAs and they probably had already met their quota of low science students accepted and only had enough seats left for a few others with higher stats. I mean the possibilities are endless.

Nonetheless, you have done well.

Originally posted by njdesi

UMDNJSOM cannot even compare to KCOM and PCOM.

its clinical affiliations are mediocre at best, and the facilities cannot compare to other sister schools such as PCOM and KCOM. It does not even have nationally ranked osteopathic hospitals such as MSUCOM, OUCOM, TCOM and WVSOM among the state funded DO schools. I feel this school is overrated and arrogant.

Hm. Man, I wish I knew as a PRE-MED the "official" rankings of osteopathic schools. From what you say, why even attend other DO schools besides PCOM and KCOM? Oh my, and the "nationally ranked osteopathic hospitals" means SO much to you as a medical student.

Listen, get off your high horse, stop looking down your nose, go to any damn DO school you want... but don't bad-mouth a school just because you didn't get offered an interview. If the Admission Committees from the schools that accepted you read that post, I guarantee they would rescind your acceptance.

4th Year DO student
Q

Unless I am mistaken,this school has a small entering class ~85,very small compared to other med schools Osteopathic or otherwise in the US.In addition it is one of the few state supported Osteopathic schools ...... so it has low tuition compared to private schools,therefore most DO applicants from the state of NJ will go there if they can hence its highly competitive nature. As for having better opportunities if you were a minority applicant,that is true for many others in this application process and right or wrong its a system you have no control over.Make the best of the wonderful opportunity you do have!

Originally posted by njdesi
I am hopping that this thread may not anger or offend people, but I would like to share briefly my experience with the Dean of Admissions at UMDNJSOM. I am a NJ state resident, a graduate of Rutgers University (3.3 undergrad, 3.16 postbaac, science cum 3.03), and have an MPH from the UMDNJ system (3.85) (and a 25P MCAT). My file has been "on hold for an interview" at UMDNJSOM for months. I finally e-mailed and talked to Dean Warren Wallace what makes my application too good for rejection, but not good enough for an interview. His answer is the most bull **** answer I have heard from any osteopathic medical school admissions person ever : "your science GPA and MCAT is below our average". I never expected a DO school to
be so numbers oriented. I am positive if I was a Hispanic or African American female I would have been given an interview. I realize now that these state funded medical schools are very political. I am Asian so I am expected to come with a higher GPA and MCAT score.

I thought that DO schools looked at more than just numbers! I have been interviewed and accepted at 4 DO schools. I had to turn down interviews at KCOM and UNECOM due to lack of funds and time. I will be heading off to PCOM in August. UMDNJSOM cannot even compare to KCOM and PCOM.

I am still left to wonder why this school is so arrogant. It's OMM hours is among the lowest of DO schools, its clinical affiliations are mediocre at best, and the facilities cannot compare to other sister schools such as PCOM and KCOM. It does not even have nationally ranked osteopathic hospitals such as MSUCOM, OUCOM, TCOM and WVSOM among the state funded DO schools. I feel this school is overrated and arrogant.

I don't really know where to start...maybe I shouldn't start at all.

First of all, the whole "unosteopathic" comment has no bearing. If your numbers are below average, then they are below their average. Nothing you can do there.

UMDNJSOM is a strong school with an amazing research department and VERY good hospitals...again...your claim here has little backing.

As far as you not getting in because of your race...I will try to stay clear of this at all costs. Dare I say, try being a white male.

I think your attitude is a bit overrated and arrogant. Like YOU deserve an acceptance from this school for XYZ reasons.

You have been accepted at some great schools. Cut your losses, be happy, and try not to let anyone find out who you really are.

One more thing...Quinn is right 99.9% of the time...this time included. Go Quinn.

I read a few posts here. I have only heard from your side of the story. I am not sure if what you wrote here is actually what they told you.

i do sort of agree that it seems that your attitude is not right. It is as if you want to date someone, even though maybe you have everything the person is looking for, but s/he may still not want you. then you can't say, hey, i have everything that you want, why can't you take me? you are too arrogant for not dating me, etc, etc.

also 25p mcat scores is not that great. most MD schools won't take your socre, that is for sure.