Why help animals, not people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoyt

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering what the reasoning is behind going into veterinary medicine since it is indeed a hard and time-consuming venture?

I suppose my real question is why not human medicine? Since there is such an incredible shortage of human doctors around the world, especially in developing countries in Africa, India, etc. and people are constantly dying of preventable diseases everyday, how could you justify going into a field to serve animals?

I believe most people would agree that humans have more worth than animals and experience suffering to a greater degree than animals. Assuming this is true, why not address the most serious problem of human suffering first and foremost. Aside from that, from the Christian perspective humans have an eternal soul and therefore are more valuable from animals in that regard.

Animals obviously don't have moral reasoning or ethical judgment while humans do. I guess my point is this: If there were plenty of human doctors throughout the world which eased human suffering, then go ahead and help animals too. But since there is so much human suffering, shouldn't we take care of that first?

Members don't see this ad.

I am just wondering what the reasoning is behind going into veterinary medicine since it is indeed a hard and time-consuming venture?
Interesting question.

I suppose my real question is why not human medicine? Since there is such an incredible shortage of human doctors around the world, especially in developing countries in Africa, India, etc. and people are constantly dying of preventable diseases everyday, how could you justify going into a field to serve animals?
Personally, I don't like people enough to work with them exclusively. I also greatly enjoy working with animals, which is further facilitated in a capitalistic society where there is a demand for someone to take care of animals. In a developing country there wouldn't be much of a call for veterinarians, but I live in the US.

As far as those people dying from preventable diseases - more doctors may make the difference, but many times it is a matter of socio-political climates that are unfavorable towards educating those populaces and providing them with the resources necessary to counter such diseases.

I believe most people would agree that humans have more worth than animals and experience suffering to a greater degree than animals. Assuming this is true, why not address the most serious problem of human suffering first and foremost. Aside from that, from the Christian perspective humans have an eternal soul and therefore are more valuable from animals in that regard.
True, humans are able comprehend things on a higher level, but what I would be doing as a veterinarian is a service for both man and animal on a personal level, but also on a public level.

Also, I'm not Christian nor religious. Whether something has a soul or not has no bearing for me.

Animals obviously don't have moral reasoning or ethical judgment while humans do. I guess my point is this: If there were plenty of human doctors throughout the world which eased human suffering, then go ahead and help animals too. But since there is so much human suffering, shouldn't we take care of that first?
As I said above, I don't feel that the amount of doctors is the limiting factor here. Sometimes it is just not having clean water to drink.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the Veterinarian's Oath:

Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, the relief of animal suffering, the conservation of livestock resources, the promotion of public health and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I believe you are forgetting that there are veterinarians out there protecting the meat and animal products you ingest or use and who are out in the world advancing medical knowledge for humans through research and lab animal medicine. There's more to being a veterinarian than giving Fluffy her heartworm medicine.

But it's a good question.

I like people, now sick people I would have to deal with as an MD/DO... not so much. Also I can handle any animal stuff (urine, feces, blood, injuries) but tend to be a big wimp with people so probably good that I am a DVM and not an MD;)

I like people, now sick people I would have to deal with as an MD/DO... not so much. Also I can handle any animal stuff (urine, feces, blood, injuries) but tend to be a big wimp with people so probably good that I am a DVM and not an MD;)

Oh yeah, that forced me to remember that when I see needles going into people, it makes me either pass out or at least really really want to. Ditto for many other things. It's probably in my head but I've trie dto overcome it and just can't.

I don't like people. ;)

Seriously, not a people person. Most people are idiots that cause their own problems. Animals aren't intentionally hurting themselves and getting sick knowing that some doctor will have a way to fix it when they need it.

From the Veterinarian's Oath:

I believe you are forgetting that there are veterinarians out there protecting the meat and animal products you ingest or use and who are out in the world advancing medical knowledge for humans through research and lab animal medicine. There's more to being a veterinarian than giving Fluffy her heartworm medicine.

To follow up on what pressmom said, there is actually a significant connection between health threats to animals and health threats to humans. Just look at the introduction of West Nile virus into the US in 1999. If the CDC had listened to Tracy McNamara, DVM at the Bronx zoo who was the first to connect the bird deaths she was seeing to the human cases (which everyone believed at the time to be St. Louis Encephalitis, instead), perhaps we could have kept WNV from becoming endemic in the US.

So pressmom is absolutely right. Veterinary medicine is about much more than just giving Fluffy her heartworm medicine. (Though I believe that is also a noble application of the field.)

I think Vet. Med. is about helping people. Has a horse or dog ever written a vet a check? Or called for an appointment?

By helping animals your are helping people. You're saving a devoted pet's life, ending their suffering, or making a vaccine that will stop a zoonotic disease.

I think vets that don't like people won't be good vets. How many vets have technicians, office managers, and clients? Aren't these all people? Even most of the large animal vets I know work closely with other vets, farriers, and most importantly their clients. The most successful vets I have seen have extraordinary people skills. These are charismatic people that love sharing information.

Last edited:
First off I love America and I am not leaving to go to a third world nation, my family left their countries and everything behind to come here for a reason. Ok so I'll go help out some people in the hood- but if I help them with their bullet wounds or their overdoses they won't care they'll be out on the street corner the next day webbing each other up and selling rock. - I just feel like these people that are suffering somewhat bring it upon themselves and as a medical professional you can treat it but there is not much you can do to stop it- its more a political/social deal.

When I was a kid in Sunday school I ended up hating religion and church because they said "animals had no souls" which I feel is bull.....if certain people in this world are considered to have souls like OJ Simpson then my dog has a soul.

Yeah and the whole touching "people stuff" really gosses me out too-

Being a veterinarian you do help people in many many ways (I think you end up helping the owners more than the actual pet it seems)

Another thing.....whoever the hell goes though decade of school to do colonoscopies every day can't deny they're in it for the money.

Very true............but I don't think having people skills and liking people always go hand and hand. For example, my boyfriend has some of the best people skills I've ever ever seen in someone. But he tells me all the time "you know, I really do hate people." :laugh: Haha, true story!

Exactly. I can dislike a person as much as physically possible, but still come off as civil if I want to. :D

The animals I want to help don't have owners.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does a mechanic fix cars instead of fixing people? Why does a dentist work on people's teeth instead of more important areas of their health? Why doesn't an art teacher teach on a more important subject like math or computer skills?

People go into their field, hopefully, because it is what they enjoy. It is unfair and I think quite insulting to come in here and make a statement as if we are somehow less ethical because we go into a field that we enjoy instead of doing what you think is "more important." Both fields deal with medicine, that's where the similarities end in my mind. I have never in my life thought about becoming a doctor for people. I would never be as happy, or even happy at all, working in medicine on people as I would be on animals. You might as well say that I should go into the circus as a lion tamer seeing as they both involve animals. To me, the difference is that great.

As for helping people in other countries. How about all the Christian missionaries that go to countries to teach people how to take care of the animals (livestock) so they'll be more productive and have more food for future generations? Did you know that there are some countries that won't let in any missionaries unless they are veterinary missionaries? Now there's a way to reach people that no one else can, and it can only be done by vets.

That person is a pre-med Christian that said on the pre-allo board they want to be a doctor to serve god. It also sounds like he's going to preach to his patients. grreeeatt. THAT will be the doctor to avoid....

People like that are what give the Christian faith a bad name.

Piddlingfish- Those are so cute what are those little creatures?

I am a Christian as well and pretty darn religious and if he/she truly understood christianity, then they should know that God didn't make every person to have the same destiny, there are other ways of serving Him besides being a doctor of any sort (adding to what Heartsong already posted). I'm sorry if I offend someone by talking about religion but that is faulty thinking on that person who started this.

Piddlingfish- Those are so cute what are those little creatures?

Bilbies!

savebilby.jpg

They're a small, endangered marsupial. I fell in love with them when I lived in Australia. :love:

As a matter of fact, i do believe there are Christian clubs in vet school. So you can be a christian vet, i'm sure there are plenty of them out there.

Hmm, you veterinarians don't seem too friendly...

*cowers away*

Why does a mechanic fix cars instead of fixing people? Why does a dentist work on people's teeth instead of more important areas of their health? Why doesn't an art teacher teach on a more important subject like math or computer skills?

People go into their field, hopefully, because it is what they enjoy. It is unfair and I think quite insulting to come in here and make a statement as if we are somehow less ethical because we go into a field that we enjoy instead of doing what you think is "more important." Both fields deal with medicine, that's where the similarities end in my mind. I have never in my life thought about becoming a doctor for people. I would never be as happy, or even happy at all, working in medicine on people as I would be on animals. You might as well say that I should go into the circus as a lion tamer seeing as they both involve animals. To me, the difference is that great.

As for helping people in other countries. How about all the Christian missionaries that go to countries to teach people how to take care of the animals (livestock) so they'll be more productive and have more food for future generations? Did you know that there are some countries that won't let in any missionaries unless they are veterinary missionaries? Now there's a way to reach people that no one else can, and it can only be done by vets.
Amen. :thumbup:

You do realize that veterinarians also go to third world countries to help with zoonotic diseases, give care to their animals, as well as study exotic diseases in hopes of keeping them away from the human population.

Vets go there in hopes of educating the population about endemic diseases and how to protect their lively hood (livestock, ie food and money) as well as there own health. Did you know that it was a veterinarian that tracked down the Ebola outbreak in Africa?

Secondly, we are VERY friendly. If you read through our threads you will find that we try and help each other, whereas you pre-meds only try to bring others down. Every pre-vet or veterinary student I have met has always been very nice and very compassionate. We truely love our profession and we can definately say 'We're not in it for the money'

Is this person for real? If so, WOW. In response to another post, we are very friendly but I for one take offense to someone who claims that my chosen profession/dream, what I am paying a fortune for and spending endless hours studying for, is not important or somehow, wrong (unchristian? for lack of a better word) Who is this person to tell me how I should be spending my time and money. Besides as you can see from all the other posts, animals and people are very important in each others lives, and vet med plays a huge role in the welfare of humans.

God told me it's now time to ignore the idiot and get back to studying in hopes of getting on with my veterinary career in which I help both animals and people in all humanly ways possible....Everybody had some very nice things to say may I add, I <3 VetMed

Is this person for real? If so, WOW. In response to another post, we are very friendly but I for one take offense to someone who claims that my chosen profession/dream, what I am paying a fortune for and spending endless hours studying for, is not important or somehow, wrong (unchristian? for lack of a better word) Who is this person to tell me how I should be spending my time and money. Besides as you can see from all the other posts, animals and people are very important in each others lives, and vet med plays a huge role in the welfare of humans.

And to add on to these already great posts, this guy/girl is totally off their rocker if they think that saving lives/treating disease/etc. is equal to serving God. You can serve God if you're a stay at home mom/dad on welfare. It's not about saving 100 million lives or how much money you make either. I'm not trying to shove religion on anyone, so I hope it doesn't seem that way, I just get irritated when ignorant people do this stuff and make Christians look bad when not all think they're better than everybody else.......

Interestingly enough this is part of what I discussed in my supplemental app. to Illinois. I am a Christian, and was told at the tender age of 12 that wanting to be a vet was not appropriate by a visiting missionary. You can imagine how crushed I was.:confused: Well, 31 years later I can tell you that there are many previous posts in this thread that are quite eloquent in their descriptions of how animal medicine is an extension of human medicine. Bottomline: practicing medicine, in any discipline, is noble and each of us should be respected by our peers. (Of course, I'm not there, yet - as far as practicing- someday...:))

And to add on to these already great posts, this guy/girl is totally off their rocker if they think that saving lives/treating disease/etc. is equal to serving God. You can serve God if you're a stay at home mom/dad on welfare. It's not about saving 100 million lives or how much money you make either. I'm not trying to shove religion on anyone, so I hope it doesn't seem that way, I just get irritated when ignorant people do this stuff and make Christians look bad when not all think they're better than everybody else.......

I totally agree jersey. I have met many wonderful and horrible people from every religion. I could not agree more that it is so important to remember that one person can only speak for themselves, not a whole group of people (unless elected or something like that) :)

First, I feel that the poster of the original question on this thread was more or less just trying to rouse all of us up rather than ask that question out of genuine curiosity, especially since they had to go and bring religion into it.

That being said, I'd first like to know how many of the pre-meds hanging out on the pre-med boards are planning to work in poor countries and/or extremely low-income areas of the US. At least not the ones that want to pay their loans off in a timely manner.

ps - We are very friendly over here! It's just a bit offensive when people try to insinuate that the career you've poured your life and a few hundred thousand dollars into isn't worth as much as their career.

I also have a feeling that both pre-med comments are from the same user under different names. The OP has a rather ignorant and narrow outlook on life and the veterinary profession. I am completely OK with them (or the OP) thinking that we aren't nice as I really don't think we need them posting on our board.

Though the OP doesn't deserve any type of serious answer I will make a few comments (forgive me if they've already been made, I didn't read all of the posts):
1. Veterinarians are in the first line of defense for public health outbreaks of zoonotic diseases.
2. Animal research by veterinarians helps in the treatment of similar human diseases
3. Most people who go into medicine don't want to live in a third world country for the rest of their lives
4. There are a limited number of MD/DO spots, and there are already too many applicants. If anything you shouldn't want us to be interested in MD because we just may be taking your spot in a medical school
5. From a Christian perspective, (and I should know from 12 years of Catholic school) God instructed Adam and Eve to protect and watch over animals.

As a side comment, I heard from some nurses that work with doctors that do overseas work that some areas won't allow DOs to practice there though (for free!) though they are in need of doctors! This has to be one of the most ridiculous things that I've ever heard.

Where are you applying to for med school OP? Loma Linda, because I can't imagine what you PS is going to or does look like.

Believe it or not, I can do just as much to advance human health whether I choose to pursue an MD or a DVM. In many fields (including mine, which is cancer) there is a dire need for non-cell-culture based models of disease. Spontaneously occurring animal diseases (as opposed to the engineered or forced models of disease, which we have in many mouse models) are often nearly identical to their human counterparts and are becoming invaluable in understanding the pathogenesis of human disease. My research on animal cancer will provide precious new models for human cancers, which can eventually lead to new treatments for human cancers (while helping the animals too :D).

so many good points already. Its unfair to say that anyone that knows medicine should go to third world countries to practice. By treating animals, we treat people in so many different ways as many have already mentioned.

And I also have a problem dealing with human medicine (even watching someone get stitches makes me feel nauseous while I can stare aptly at a the same procedure in an animal).

Watch an owner get their pet back after surgery instead of having to euthanize the animal. You are helping the owner just as much as the animal.

Would you want me as your apathetic doctor, or your passionate vet? I am drawn to alleviate animal suffering, and improve animal life. That doesn't mean I dislike people, it's just that human medicine isn't my vocation. I will make a much bigger difference in the world doing what I am passionate about than I would if I became a human doctor- or a baker, or a businessman, or anything else.

And besides, animals don't need souls to get into heaven... they didn't screw up in the first place, so they get a free ticket in ;-)

I actually do like people...some of the time! :laugh: My problem is I come across argumentative, but that is probably partly because that's how my adviser in grad school was all about being controversial and cutting edge so I've picked up on that A LOT and also because I was pre-law for about 4 years (and pre-med before that!). I do get HIGHLY irritated with pre-meds, med students, and doctors who have a "awww, how cute, you're a vet" attitude with vets though. :mad:

I'm surprised that some would say they don't like working with people but want to be a veterinarian. I'm hard pressed to think of a veterinary job where you don't work with people.

A lot.

I'm surprised that some would say they don't like working with people but want to be a veterinarian. I'm hard pressed to think of a veterinary job where you don't work with people.

A lot.

At the clinic where I shadow there is almost always at least one case per day that has a weird human story mixed up in the animal story. So basically one of your best sources of patient history is the owner (a human), the person who usually makes the decision on what course to pursue when multiple options are available is a human, etc.... so dealing with people is part of the package.

Don't make the mistake of using the "I don't like working with people..." story in an interview, because I don't imagine that the experienced vets interviewing you are going to let it fly :D.

When I was a kid in Sunday school I ended up hating religion and church because they said "animals had no souls" which I feel is bull.....if certain people in this world are considered to have souls like OJ Simpson then my dog has a soul.

:clap: Well said!

At the clinic where I shadow there is almost always at least one case per day that has a weird human story mixed up in the animal story.

Only one a day? So your hospital is the one where all the normal clients go. I wondered where that was.

oh man, i got a good laugh.

answer: cause i don't f*ckin want to.

the end.

and: what heartsong said. lay off, med stude.

I chose veterinary medicine because it is time consuming, hard work with little monetary reward. I love hard work, animals, and I don't care for money. If I don't do it who else will?

To address the issue of suffering, everybody suffers. We live in a society where dogs and cats are increasingly seen as members of the family, not just pets. If I can mend the broken leg of a dog that would just a few decades ago probably would have died from the injuries, I can mend the heart of the person who loves that animal and doesn't want it to die.

Just today I comforted a woman who had lost her cat in a garage door accident. Both of us sobbed over her loss. The acute suffering of humans when the human-animal bond is severed through illness or injury is enough justification to pursue veterinary medicine.

P.S.- there is not a worldwide shortage of doctors, there is a shortage of infrastructure and funds to support medical practice worldwide. We have the same problem with world food supplies. We grow enough food to feed the world, but through economics and lack of infrastructure that food does not end up in the hands of the third-world poor.

I am just wondering what the reasoning is behind going into veterinary medicine since it is indeed a hard and time-consuming venture??
i was planning to do medicine or vet medicine back in year 1 of my uni but ultimately doing medicine requires me to move to another state i decide to do vet medicine instead. the vet school here is practically next door to me...

i will do human medicine after i graduate from vet

i dun think its advisable to bring religion into this, most human religion tend to elevate the human animal to a divine status but in my dealing with animals juz becoz something cant speak or articulate itself like a human doesnt make its pain any less than a human.they do have real feelings and can feel hurt if u mistreat them. there are animals like the great ape who are so conscious and intelligent they actually supersede humans who are born with mental ******ation.

i am curious though as to wat religious folks think of mentally ******ed ppl since the good book tends to gloss over the "classification" of such ppl.
Animals obviously don't have moral reasoning or ethical judgment while humans do.
neither do i , i'm morally bankrupt :D

as a side note: human medicine and vet medicine was one and the same until around the renaissance period then it split becoz of christians who decided that we humans are "better than animals". cut open a dog or a mouse and u can see physiology we are not much different

I believe most people would agree that humans have more worth than animals and experience suffering to a greater degree than animals.

Really? Do humans suffer to a greater degree than animals? I haven't heard this. Also, I haven't heard any science to back your statement up. Do humans have super neurons that make us much more sensitive to pain than other creatures? Mental anguish has been recorded across the animal spectrum. Just look at separation anxiety in dogs. Is this not pain?

Assuming this is true, why not address the most serious problem of human suffering first and foremost. Aside from that, from the Christian perspective humans have an eternal soul and therefore are more valuable from animals in that regard.

What is the intrinsic value of a soul? I don't believe there is anything in the bible that says that having a soul makes one more valuable. But if so, why? Certainly there are instances where animals have more monetary values than humans. Animals produce milk, help us work the fields, and provide comfort and protection [speaking globally here]. Animals are invaluable to us! Many times we need more animals rather than more people. So who is telling us that humans are more valuable? Is it this god fellow people keep talking about? Well, what does it matter to me what he thinks is more valuable?

Animals obviously don't have moral reasoning or ethical judgment while humans do.

First off, we don't know if animals have ethics or morals that guide them. Social animals tend to have rules that govern the behavior of the individual. Isn't that what ethics and morality is? Also, I don't understand your point here. Who cares whether animals have ethics? Does that diminish their value to us as providers of food, laborers, and friends? No friend, it doesn't.

I guess my point is this: If there were plenty of human doctors throughout the world which eased human suffering, then go ahead and help animals too. But since there is so much human suffering, shouldn't we take care of that first?

If you haven't already gleaned it from my statements above, I will summarize it for you as you have summarized it for me. You need to come down off your mountain and look and humans and animals from a different perspective (utilitarian at least). Animals are invaluable to us [in the least] as workers, providers of food, and security. We also increasingly cultivate loving bonds with them as pets. Veterinarians serve people through the service of their animals. Livestock and working animals, police dogs, guide dogs for the blind. All work to serve man. If nobody was there to heal these animals people would suffer.

So please, medical student, please understand that we have been called to this field just like you have been called to yours. Not because we are selfish because we know that serving animals ultimately serves people. ;)

cuz they are cutier and more friendly!:love:

LMAO I have that same thought about half the time I go to all that scrolling work...ha!

Why don't you do page down? and then scroll up the tiny bit to the last post from the bottom of the page.

Atleast that is what I do. I have a mac so I'm not sure if it works on windows, I think it must though because it seems a pretty standard function. :)