WHy does podiatry school exist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingJ

I Was Justin You
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering.. why isn't podiatry just part of a MD or DO track?

Meaning, why is that you must go to a specific school as opposed to a MD/DO graduate pursuing a residency in podiatry.

In my opinion it just seems like a speciality, (gynos deal with female reproductive organs, cardiologists deal with hearts, urologists deal with urinary tracks and so on) Why is that if you want to become a podiatrist you must go to podiatry school, Whereas if you want to be a cardiologist you go to med school as there is no cardiology school.

I am just curious to see the reason..

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4771110#post4771110

Basically, that's just how it's been for 100+ years now. You could say the same thing for denal school (why is tooth doc/surgeon a separate school when eye surgeons or ear/nose docs are under MD umbrella), but again, that's just how it has been historically and how it remains today...

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what I love about the podiatry forums? Everyone seems to be so insightful. You guys ask pertinent questions that are relevant to our future and we get very good, eye-opening responses. The history of the DPM, MD and DO is amazing! More undergraduate institutions should have classes on the history of medicine. I'm sure it would dampen student's obsession over stats, stats, stats!

You know what I love about the podiatry forums? Everyone seems to be so insightful. You guys ask pertinent questions that are relevant to our future and we get very good, eye-opening responses. The history of the DPM, MD and DO is amazing! More undergraduate institutions should have classes on the history of medicine. I'm sure it would dampen student's obsession over stats, stats, stats!
Ub's, ain't this comin' from the same guy that wants me to vanish? :laugh:

Hey man, no question, I LOVE DPM'ism, MD'ism, DO'ism, etc. Don't you, boss? My insight for tonite is: I think that if you go to med school, graduate, then setup shop, you'll have a lucrative income no matter WHERE you are. Hey, ppl are gonna get older & sick - a given - thus capitalize on the break & go for the marbles man.

~ Ella, Ella Vanilla.

Because a lot of the medical doctors in 19th and 20th century did not want to treat feet~ many people with feet problem couldn't get any treatment~ So they opened up podiatry school ~~ I heard it from my school Dean~:)

Because a lot of the medical doctors in 19th and 20th century did not want to treat feet~ many people with feet problem couldn't get any treatment~ So they opened up podiatry school ~~ I heard it from my school Dean~:)

...heard it from a friend who, heard from a friend who, heard from another you was messin around...

they say ya gota b/f & ur up there every wkend & its bringing me down...:laugh::laugh: