Why do you want to be a P.T.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just answer the question....I'm just curious what other people's reasons are.

Members don't see this ad.

After volunteering in an inpatient (in a variety of settings: wound care, neuro, etc...) and outpatient hospital and working in an outpatient orthopedic private clinic, I definitely see myself working outpatient ortho preferably running my own clinic. I am choosing this as a career because I see the fun that my boss and the other physical therapists have on a consistent basis and how much fun I am having. It is a laid back, positive atmosphere and there is never a dull moment with what patients will say, do, or attempt. I always had a deep interest in wanting to work in health care and out of most of the different areas of specialty that I have researched, volunteered, work, and shadowed in (from ER to dentistry), physical therapy stands out as a career that "fits" me. I enjoy interacting and getting to know patients, I enjoy learning how and why physical therapists perform a particular maneuver or why this stretch/exercise is more beneficial than the others, and some of the food/snacks that patients bring are "W-O-W"!!! Nothing beats homemade. I have always been a person of progress, health, and action. Physical therapy provides all of that for me. YES, I do understand the downside of the field but it goes with the territory because it is still a business. I can go on but they'll sound too cliche which my answer above probably already sounds like.

My answers will also be too cliche , but I think it totally fits me as mcc0037 said. I've always been a dancer and a dedicated student so it's great to think that I can combine those two aspects. (I love dancing, so I've always been interested in physical well being, strenght, and movement, but also interested in a more "professional" carreer specially in the health care field)

Members don't see this ad :)
.I chose to pursue a career in physical therapy for three reasons: a lifelong interest in anatomy, a love and appreciation for exercise and a desire to help people improve their quality of life... .

Last edited:
My reason for wanting to go into PT had a lot to do with the fact that I received alot of physical therapy when I was younger for my scoliosis. I absolutely LOVE how compassionate PTs are, as well as the positive/calm/care-free atmosphere.

A big reason I got into it though is because I am VERY interested in human health, from nutrition to body building, so I saw PT as the perfect career. I love exercise, health, strengthening, and anything that makes the human body stronger, faster, and more efficient. I plan on a future in ortho/sports rehab.

thanks for the reply guys... but im really shocked that for having 400 views this thread only has 4 replies..wow... its not that hard of a question right?:D

My parents sent me to college to become a salesman, convinced I had the skills to make 6 figures fairly early on by going that route. I hated it, aced my all the tests and presentations but never showed up to class, leaving me with a bunch of C's early on. :bang: Switched to psychology for a psychiatry career because I had a general concern for others that no one else seemed to have and loved learning about people and why they do the things they do. Decided the schooling was too long and not worth it because I am committed to my girlfriend, who I also realized was pretty much all I could handle mentally. :laugh: Literally a day after I decided psychiatry wasn't for me an email was sent to me about a meeting for anyone interested in physical therapy.

Needless to say I went to the meeting, liked what I heard, and researched it. I wasn't fully sure until recently that I would definitely go this route. My family and my girlfriends mother gave me much grief about it, saying it was a women's salary (my mom making $0 and her mom making $28k) so I thought about PA and Pharmacy but from my recent volunteering I feel I would be really satisfied as a PT.

The above was mostly a negative path. In the end I love the idea of being able to help people regain mobility, live in less pain, and working with patients that are willing to work to improve their lives. I love being around people that are willing to put the effort in and I feel like this profession will keep me in constant contact with people like that.

I've always relished the role as the helper. It just feels good. It feels as if I'm spending my time on this earth in a positive way. It's in my personality. I want to be a leader and help people get back on their feet so they can get their lives back together. I don't want to waste my time constantly talking about how I can help some business make more money. While I may have to sell myself and my services I don't have to sell anyone else's products, which I may not like the product to begin with. I won't have to look over my back to see who my potential threat is or wonder if I'll have a job tomorrow. So in the end I'll be a positive contributor to society. I won't feel the pressure to ever do anything unethical to keep my job. If I am pressured, I will just find another job because the position is in great demand. I want to make a difference with my time in this life. If I can make difference in peoples lives than it is worth it and I can accomplish my goal.

I have a BS in nutrition so after the DPT is completed I will have the required advanced degree to attain a CDE (Certified Diabetic Educator) credential. I'll utilize my nutrition degree to help educate the public about diabetes and how to control it. I know I will be able to improve the quality of life for a number of individuals. I can do so with the DPT credential.

Last edited: