Why do you think current M4s aren’t heeding the warnings of Anesthesia being “dead”?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
150k?! That's less than 10th percentile MGMA, must be big city academics.

Even for 350k I could never be a hospitalist
People can do fancy math but at the end of the day, there are call slots at each hospital that anesthesiologists must take. Most hospitals have at least two call slots per night, some have three or even four. Do math about average income and numbers of doctors. That tells you how much call we take for the salary. In my opinion, it’s not worth it. The chain jerking, abuse, and sleep disturbances are not compensated appropriately. People here brag about salaries rarely seen in fun urban areas. I don’t want to live in flyover country just to make $400 k.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
People can do fancy math but at the end of the day, there are call slots at each hospital that anesthesiologists must take. Most hospitals have at least two call slots per night, some have three or even four. Do math about average income and numbers of doctors. That tells you how much call we take for the salary. In my opinion, it’s not worth it. The chain jerking, abuse, and sleep disturbances are not compensated appropriately. People here brag about salaries rarely seen in fun urban areas. I don’t want to live in flyover country just to make $400 k.

Flyover country?

Some people grow up and realize that more money, more time off, more buying power from lower cost of living, more land, lower taxes, more security, better schools, and cleaner environment are worth more to their family's happiness than living in a major coastal city with more traffic, pollution, and less actual pay and higher costs of living.

Reactions: 5 users
Flyover country?

Some people grow up and realize that more money, more time off, more buying power from lower cost of living, more land, lower taxes, more security, better schools, and cleaner environment are worth more to their family's happiness than living in a major coastal city with more traffic, pollution, and less actual pay and higher costs of living.

Forget all of that coastal midland nonsense. Try to see the main point. Look at averages. To me, the average salary of an anesthesiologist, which has not kept up with the cost of living over the last 40 years, does not justify the misery associated with call and abuse. Those negative aspects of the specialty have hurt the practitioners and ONE metric of overall unhappiness is the suicide rate.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Forget all of that coastal midland nonsense. Try to see the main point. Look at averages. To me, the average salary of an anesthesiologist, which has not kept up with the cost of living over the last 40 years, does not justify the misery associated with call and abuse. Those negative aspects of the specialty have hurt the practitioners and ONE metric of overall unhappiness is the suicide rate.
I make a ton of money per year in "flyover" country. I wouldn't change it for anything.

I wonder if more suicides happen in the coastal cities and large metro areas where the grind of the OR is there but the money is not.

I also think there's a lot of depression in being an employee for an AMC or in an unfair private group.

Reactions: 3 users
To me, the average salary of an anesthesiologist, which has not kept up with the cost of living over the last 40 years,

Maybe it’s not what it used to be but this is ridiculous - you’re still making top 5th percentile of wages in the US if not higher as a physician. I’m not exactly eating PB&J every meal or on government support. You make enough to live, easily - maybe skip the 5 million McMansion for a decade or two. You want to say it hasn’t kept up with inflation fine I guess, but saying you can’t LIVE is heinous. How many of your patients make as much as you do?

It could be worse - you could be a cardiac surgeon, the starting offers I’ve seen around here are under 300, and the lifestyle is immeasurably worse. Oh how the mighty have fallen over 30 years.

It could be worse - you could be a cardiac surgeon, the starting offers I’ve seen around here are under 300, and the lifestyle is immeasurably worse. Oh how the mighty have fallen over 30 years.
How can it be this bad!! CT surgeons don’t exactly grow on trees and there is plenty of demand ?

Maybe it’s not what it used to be but this is ridiculous - you’re still making top 5th percentile of wages in the US if not higher as a physician. I’m not exactly eating PB&J every meal or on government support. You make enough to live, easily - maybe skip the 5 million McMansion for a decade or two. You want to say it hasn’t kept up with inflation fine I guess, but saying you can’t LIVE is heinous. How many of your patients make as much as you do?

300 is horrific. The PP CT surgeons who cover my hospital are always talking about their gddamned boats and sick ass vacations, and I'm not even in flyover country. They do gotta work for what I imagine is that 800+ tho

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you climbed onto a hamster wheel that was spinning a little faster than you though it was.

You had choices. Hell, you still do.

Reactions: 1 users
Being a cardiac surgeon is NOT even close to being immeasurable worse than ANesthesiologist.

Sounds like you climbed onto a hamster wheel that was spinning a little faster than you though it was.

You had choices. Hell, you still do.

Agreed. As an anesthesiologist, the salary and hours worked is significantly better than the rest of the country. Every job has its pros and cons. I like to think that mines has a lot more pros than cons compared to others and a better salary to boot. You're not happy making 300k+ working ~45-50 hrs/week? That a "supratentorial" problem.

Being a cardiac surgeon is NOT even close to being immeasurable worse than ANesthesiologist.

It depends on the CT surgeons practice type, location, and pt population. Community B&B CABGs and single valves, 1-2 cases a day, with a slew of residents/NPs and a good ICU? Easy peasy.

Tertiary center, trauma, complex aortic work, lvad, transplant, heavy endocarditis referrals, sick double valves, redo sternotomies all the time? Fuggedaboutut

Interesting thread. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing if I had a chance to do it over again, except that I would have accepted the offer to join @BLADEMDA's group.

I live in "flyover" country, in a place where people from the coasts spend tons of money to come visit. My life is better than most people's vacation. There are multiple lakes within 20-45 minutes where I take my wake boat or my buddies fishing boat. The hiking is world class. In the winter, the skiing is epic. I can compete in the Jiu Jitsu tournaments across the northwest because the big cities are a cheap, one-hour flight away. I have my choice of Seahawks or Broncos games, NHL, NBA, MLB all just a quick flight away. I have a house on 10 acres, camper, ATV, etc. I'm buying a slopeside condo next summer.

I came out with a plan to pay off everything as fast as possible, but with my student loans locked at 2.625% and my mortgage at 2.75% it just seems stupid to pay it off. I make more putting that money into the market.

Sure, I make a little less than I could if I went to a less desirable location, but there are trade offs to every decision in life. It's worth it for me. I make plenty of money to have a great lifestyle and retirement.

I think the suicide stats are skewed because we are uniquely in a position to both know exactly how to kill ourselves, and have access to the means to do so. It would appear that general surgeons, another group who have unique knowledge on how to kill yourself, are in the second place. It's no secret that suicide runs in my family. I've battled it myself. The frequency of depressive and major depressive episodes has not increased since starting medical school, certainly the "stress" of the job has not made me more suicidal. If anything, it has made me less so. I wonder if there is a selection bias, for choosing anesthesia, among students who struggle with depression and suicidal tendencies. Perhaps there is an allure of a lifestyle that will allay the symptoms. Of course, neither the job, nor the lifestyle, allay the symptoms. This might lead people to give up hope and kill themselves.

FWIW, physical activity is my panacea. That's why I compete in Jiu Jitsu, and rarely sit still. I remain unmedicated, and have never had a desire to touch any of the **** in my drawer.

Reactions: 11 users
Interesting thread. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing if I had a chance to do it over again, except that I would have accepted the offer to join @BLADEMDA's group.

I live in "flyover" country, in a place where people from the coasts spend tons of money to come visit. My life is better than most people's vacation. There are multiple lakes within 20-45 minutes where I take my wake boat or my buddies fishing boat. The hiking is world class. In the winter, the skiing is epic. I can compete in the Jiu Jitsu tournaments across the northwest because the big cities are a cheap, one-hour flight away. I have my choice of Seahawks or Broncos games, NHL, NBA, MLB all just a quick flight away. I have a house on 10 acres, camper, ATV, etc. I'm buying a slopeside condo next summer.

I came out with a plan to pay off everything as fast as possible, but with my student loans locked at 2.625% and my mortgage at 2.75% it just seems stupid to pay it off. I make more putting that money into the market.

Sure, I make a little less than I could if I went to a less desirable location, but there are trade offs to every decision in life. It's worth it for me. I make plenty of money to have a great lifestyle and retirement.

I think the suicide stats are skewed because we are uniquely in a position to both know exactly how to kill ourselves, and have access to the means to do so. It would appear that general surgeons, another group who have unique knowledge on how to kill yourself, are in the second place. It's no secret that suicide runs in my family. I've battled it myself. The frequency of depressive and major depressive episodes has not increased since starting medical school, certainly the "stress" of the job has not made me more suicidal. If anything, it has made me less so. I wonder if there is a selection bias, for choosing anesthesia, among students who struggle with depression and suicidal tendencies. Perhaps there is an allure of a lifestyle that will allay the symptoms. Of course, neither the job, nor the lifestyle, allay the symptoms. This might lead people to give up hope and kill themselves.

FWIW, physical activity is my panacea. That's why I compete in Jiu Jitsu, and rarely sit still. I remain unmedicated, and have never had a desire to touch any of the **** in my drawer.
Keep well

Members don't see this ad :)
Those negative aspects of the specialty have hurt the practitioners and ONE metric of overall unhappiness is the suicide rate.

This would be a much more compelling point if the rate of suicide amongst anesthesiologist was increasing at a faster rate than the general population or other specialties. I dont think we have a baseline to compare, though.

All we can say is that we have the highest suicide rate and gynecologists have the lowest sexual satisfaction rate. Maybe that's the real reason I left Gyn/OB. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We don't know why, or if the change in anesthesia job outlook/ lifestyle is in any way contributory.

And here we are with avg med school debt over 300k at 7% interest.

From the top of my head:
300K at 6.8% over 10 years = about 410K in total.
300K at 3.25% over 8 years = about 340K in total.

Big difference.

From the top of my head:
300K at 6.8% over 10 years = about 410K in total.
300K at 3.25% over 8 years = about 340K in total.

Big difference.
I wish. We were stupid and didn't realize re-financing was a legitimate thing until we'd already been paying for 4 years. I did the math at the time and we'll end up saving something like 20k in interest which isn't bad but its not the 50k we'd have saved had we done this right out of residency.

i tried refinancing my 6.5% loans, and they offered me 7.2%. next time i tried, i got denied. my colleague denied as well for having 'too much loans'

First republic. It’s not really a “refinance” of student loan. It’s more like a personal loan for people who can pay in a short time. I got it down to 2.75 5 year, could have cut another 0.5% by keeping 50k (?) in saving at all times.

pressure. But for 5 years, ~3500 a month for 200k.

i tried refinancing my 6.5% loans, and they offered me 7.2%. next time i tried, i got denied. my colleague denied as well for having 'too much loans'

Much, MUCH easier to do once you have a year as an attending under you and build some solid credit. We are about to refinance and will probably get 3.5%. The time to strike is now!

How feasible is it to refinance straight out of med school? I assume the rates would be crappy and that I'd at least have to wait until I'm out of residency.
Much, MUCH easier to do once you have a year as an attending under you and build some solid credit. We are about to refinance and will probably get 3.5%. The time to strike is now!

Yup. I’m with them too. Best rates around but they are a little pickier with more stringent criteria than most other lenders.

We took a personal loan from my FIL a few years ago. Somehow he made onto the application since he worked for a foreign government. I was literally screaming into the phone when they were asking me about his job. I am like, it’s less than 100k we borrowed, if I was laundering money, I hope it was for much more!

We are all happy youve reached your nirvana and are fully self actualized.

How feasible is it to refinance straight out of med school? I assume the rates would be crappy and that I'd at least have to wait until I'm out of residency.

Not very feasible, you aren’t a great customer yet. You’re better to just wait until after residency, or better yet, a year out as an attending so you can solidify some good credit and show a strong income - then lenders will fall over themselves to refinance you, practically.

Better off consolidating loans on the day after graduation and entering RePAYE immediately. You’ll have at least 1 year of $0.00 payments that also qualify for PSLF. Not to mention that you’ll get a government subsidy on your loans that makes your effective interest HALF of the actual rate.

*** this all does not necessarily apply if you have a spouse earning any significant amount of money. ***

Better off consolidating loans on the day after graduation and entering RePAYE immediately. You’ll have at least 1 year of $0.00 payments that also qualify for PSLF. Not to mention that you’ll get a government subsidy on your loans that makes your effective interest HALF of the actual rate.

*** this all does not necessarily apply if you have a spouse earning any significant amount of money. ***
This is what I did. I had the process started during spring of my 4th year.

What is the consensus in this scenario? Refinance immediately during residency?
No, it just requires a much more detailed analysis to figure out what will save you the most money. If you have a spouse earning money, you have to run the numbers. If you don't, then RePAYE is almost always the right answer during residency.

What areas you thinkin?

We actually looked hard at periopdoc's neck of the woods around 2011 & 2012, made a couple trips to the area to see how we liked it. At the time we weren't sure if I was going to stick it out in the Navy to get my piece of the government's cheese. The golden handcuffs got me, so here I am.

Rockies anywhere. Sierras were a possibility until we got fed up with California; haven't completely ruled out the Nevada side. We're back in Virginia now and like the mountains of WV, eastern TN, western NC. When I get back from this deployment we're going to start seriously thinking about it again.

tldr - I don't really have any idea

You’ve got the wrong tooth:tattoo ratio for Appalachia.
How do you know the toothbrush was invented in Kentucky?
If they made it anywhere else they would have called it a teethbrush!

First republic. It’s not really a “refinance” of student loan. It’s more like a personal loan for people who can pay in a short time. I got it down to 2.75 5 year, could have cut another 0.5% by keeping 50k (?) in saving at all times.

pressure. But for 5 years, ~3500 a month for 200k.

They rejected me. my colleague with 500k loans was also rejected.

its funny, my credit score DROPPED after paying off a few student loans. its always been around 800 FICO, but recently it dropped and one of the reasons it stated was i closed off some loan accounts or something like that.. ridic!

We actually looked hard at periopdoc's neck of the woods around 2011 & 2012, made a couple trips to the area to see how we liked it. At the time we weren't sure if I was going to stick it out in the Navy to get my piece of the government's cheese. The golden handcuffs got me, so here I am.

Rockies anywhere. Sierras were a possibility until we got fed up with California; haven't completely ruled out the Nevada side. We're back in Virginia now and like the mountains of WV, eastern TN, western NC. When I get back from this deployment we're going to start seriously thinking about it again.

We could always use someone with experience, plus CT fellowship out here. One of your former colleagues, M.B., just became a shareholder, and can also give you insight into the group.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

There's a private practice group in upstate SC that's hiring...

This would be a much more compelling point if the rate of suicide amongst anesthesiologist was increasing at a faster rate than the general population or other specialties. I dont think we have a baseline to compare, though.

All we can say is that we have the highest suicide rate and gynecologists have the lowest sexual satisfaction rate. Maybe that's the real reason I left Gyn/OB. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We don't know why, or if the change in anesthesia job outlook/ lifestyle is in any way contributory.
Not sure. In the big coastal cities , pay stinks. My plan is to move out to places where pay is better and exploitation is minimal. Hopefully lifestyle would be better too. I need to make up for lost income in the urban areas that I have lived. Plus around that time my kids’ college financial needs will be greater. Only then will I be able to make a good assessment of what is really happening vis a vis the whole stress money thing.

20191215_113933.jpg

The view from my call room.

This one is for all you negative, pessimistic, motherf^(&3rs. Get out of da fuggin rat race. Quit wasting your time worrying about all the things you can't control.

Read "The Way of the Superior Man." Sure it's cheesy, but there's a important message in there.

Quit blaming your situation, your job, your circumstances for your unhappiness. Quit waiting for a change in circumstances to bring about happiness.

"Someday, I'll break out of this funk. Someday, I'll get my dream job. Someday, I'll find fulfillment."

Bbbbbbbb.Ssssssss.

Someday never comes.

Let me repeat that

Someday NEVER comes.

You are responsible for your situation and your happiness. If you aren't happy in your situation, you aren't going to be happy in your situation plus 5 million dollars. Find your happiness, and it won't matter if you are making "enough money."

What even is "enough money?"

Figure out who you are, and what you want out of life. Then, go get it Quit blaming your circumstances for your unhappiness, when it's your procrastinating a** at fault.

Reactions: 9 users
View attachment 289393

The view from my call room.

This one is for all you negative, pessimistic, motherf^(&3rs. Get out of da fuggin rat race. Quit wasting your time worrying about all the things you can't control.

Read "The Way of the Superior Man." Sure it's cheesy, but there's a important message in there.

Quit blaming your situation, your job, your circumstances for your unhappiness. Quit waiting for a change in circumstances to bring about happiness.

"Someday, I'll break out of this funk. Someday, I'll get my dream job. Someday, I'll find fulfillment."

Bbbbbbbb.Ssssssss.

Someday never comes.

Let me repeat that

Someday NEVER comes.

You are responsible for your situation and your happiness. If you aren't happy in your situation, you aren't going to be happy in your situation plus 5 million dollars. Find your happiness, and it won't matter if you are making "enough money."

What even is "enough money?"

Figure out who you are, and what you want out of life. Then, go get it Quit blaming your circumstances for your unhappiness, when it's your procrastinating a** at fault.
I’ll continue to wallow in my misery and complain to anyone who’ll listen, thank you very much!

I've had partners who are miserable here. I have friends who love their coastal jobs and situations. It ain't about location or money. It's about finding your passion, and pursuing it

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Maybe I'll stop bragging after this, but it was just too good of a day. I skied with my 14-year-old for an hour this morning before he ditched me to go ski with his friends.

We met up at the end of the day, and I found out that one of the people in his little ski group is an Olympic athlete, and X-games gold medalist.

These are the kinds of experiences that you just can't put a price on.

Reactions: 7 users
Not very feasible, you aren’t a great customer yet. You’re better to just wait until after residency, or better yet, a year out as an attending so you can solidify some good credit and show a strong income - then lenders will fall over themselves to refinance you, practically.
Yeah makes sense. I doubt I'd get a rate that's worthwhile. I just heard of people doing it right after med school and can't help wondering. That 0% interest for a year with REPAYE is hard to turn down, assuming I even get it with being married now and my wife working. Either way that's probably the best route.