Why do you, honestly, want to be a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missmd123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know, this has been asked before and the MD vs. DO debate has been on the forum everywhere, blah blah blah.
I do not intend for this to become an MD vs. DO debate.
Rather, I am genuinely interested in why you guys want to be a DO. That might mean comparing it to allopathic medical school, but please don't turn this into an MD vs. DO debate. We're all sick of seeing that.

So, why do you want to be a DO?
Be as honest as possible, no bull****! You are not talking to an admissions committee right now, you're talking to me and your peers. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking this so you can get the answers to your interview?

Why DO? Well, why not DO? ;)

Reactions: 11 users
Are you asking this so you can get the answers to your interview?

Why DO? Well, why not DO? ;)

No, my interview won't be for at least 3 years anyways as I'm taking gap years. I'm just genuinely curious since I have no pre-med friends to discuss this with anymore (they all gave up about a year or two into college :p ) . I just want to know why other people want to do DO, and honestly. I'm sick of those cookie-cutter answers boring people give :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I know, this has been asked before and the MD vs. DO debate has been on the forum everywhere, blah blah blah.
Rather, I am genuinely interested in why you guys want to be a DO. That might mean comparing it to allopathic medical school, but please don't turn this into an MD vs. DO debate. We're all sick of seeing that.

Be as honest as possible, no bull****! You are not talking to an admissions committee right now, you're talking to me and your peers. ;)
Likely for the same reason people want to get their MD, MBBS, MBBCh, Dr. med., PhD, MPH, etc. Something about it works for them, and they seek it out.

1) interested in primary care
2) want to do nmm fellowship
3) love the school I'm going to (academics/atmosphere/location)
4) want to be a physician

Reactions: 1 user
My stats are ass.

(For legit reasons). I get to be a doctor either way.

Reactions: 32 users
Honestly? I want to work in primary care. I've seen OMT in action and saw it has a place in primary care.

Grade replacement too

1) Don't see that it needs justification other than my reasons for wanting to be a physician. DOs are doctors. I want to be a doctor. Ergo...
2) OMM may be useful as an opiate sparing measure in addressing painful musculoskeletal conditions.
3) Factors related to the cost, convenience, and quality of the school I will be attending, which is a DO granting institution
4) Having worked with a small army of DOs, never met one yet that I didn't like. Subject to change, of course.
5) DO schools seem more accepting of nontrads.

Grade replacement didn't help me, so that wasn't a factor, and my stats were plenty competitive for a number of MD schools that would have been geographically tolerable. I started down the road of applying to both MD and DO, ultimately deciding to complete only the AACOMAS apps, mostly because I felt pretty confident that I would find a seat at LECOM or PCOM. Since acceptance to either of those would have satisfied me, there was no need to waste resources on applications and interviews elsewhere, just to chase after a different set of post-name initials.

Reactions: 22 users
1) Don't see that it needs justification other than my reasons for wanting to be a physician. DOs are doctors. I want to be a doctor. Ergo...
2) OMM may be useful as an opiate sparing measure in addressing painful musculoskeletal conditions.
3) Factors related to the cost, convenience, and quality of the school I will be attending, which is a DO granting institution
4) Having worked with a small army of DOs, never met one yet that I didn't like. Subject to change, of course.
5) DO schools seem more accepting of nontrads.

Grade replacement didn't help me, so that wasn't a factor, and my stats were plenty competitive for a number of MD schools that would have been geographically tolerable. I started down the road of applying to both MD and DO, ultimately deciding to complete only the AACOMAS apps, mostly because I felt pretty confident that I would find a seat at LECOM or PCOM. Since acceptance to either of those would have satisfied me, there was no need to waste resources on applications and interviews elsewhere, just to chase after a different set of post-name initials.

I very much like this answer :)

OMT gives the chance to really work with my hands and surgery doesn't seem right for me

Reactions: 1 users

Honestly? Because I want to be a physician (I'm guessing this is going to be the most common answer, and it shouldn't be a surprise). I also didn't really want to apply several times trying to get into an allopathic program. DO schools gave me a chance, so I'm running with it.

Reactions: 13 users
I was a big fan of Harry Potter growing up and I wanted to learn magic.

Reactions: 35 users
Can't believe other posters haven't mentioned this yet.

1) COCA cares so much about students that they open multiple branch campuses to allow more ppl get into DO.
2) COMLEX is a much better written exam than USMLE that test our science knowledge in every level equally.
3) Because we don't need to specialize and primary care is more important.
4) No need for the trivial research.
5) OMM is so amazing that you can tell the diagnose from just physical examination alone.
Example: "A 16-year-old boy develops diarrhea and stomach pain after eating rewarmed leftover vegetable fried rice. Physical examination reveals acute tissue changes at T5-L2 paraspinally. Which is the most likely pathogen?"
Answer: My posts cannot B. cereus.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Example: "A 16-year-old boy develops diarrhea and stomach pain after eating rewarmed leftover vegetable fried rice. Physical examination reveals acute tissue changes at T5-L2 paraspinally. Which is the most likely pathogen?"

Well that happened :rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
Along with the above, I'm interested in PM&R and DO programs emphasize musculoskeletal more than MD (based on net/mission statements/MD PM&R faculty opinion). I'll be happy to have either accept me, though.

Because I DO
60915255.jpg

I grew up surrounded by DOs and didn't know about MDs for probably my first decade. Osteopathic medicine IS medicine to me. Full stop.

Also every DO I've interacted with has been beyond superb in the area if interpersonal communication. Not to say MDs aren't or can't, but there is a little more emphasis on that on the DO side of things. Even if it's just a minor preference, I'd rather throw my hat in with that team.

In other news: Coke or Pepsi, which do you like better and why!?

Reactions: 5 users

The majority of people that want to go DO got ****ty grades. I can't think of any actual reason someone would want to be a DO. Some patients know that it is easier to become a DO, and that seeing an MD may be better. I am in high school, I will go for MD, but DO is ok.

The majority of people that want to go DO got ****ty grades. I can't think of any actual reason someone would want to be a DO. Some patients know that it is easier to become a DO, and that seeing an MD may be better. I am in high school, I will go for MD, but DO is ok.
Troll harder bro

Reactions: 22 users
Troll harder bro
Will do.

OMG GUYS CAN I GET INTO MED SCHOOL WITH A 2.3 GPA CUZ SCREW OCHEM???
I GOT 2 VERBAL ON MCAT. I DONT KNOW WHAT ALKENES ARE. HALP HALP HALP.

Ok I'll stop being annoying.

computerguy365 is still a JV troll. so please just pardon him

ur an idiot

1) COCA cares so much about students that they open multiple branch campuses to allow more ppl get into DO.
2) COMLEX is a much better written exam than USMLE that test our science knowledge in every level equally.
5) OMM is so amazing that you can tell the diagnose from just physical examination alone.
Why does this not have all the likes?
This is so clever I'm turned on a little bit. Jk

I'm turned on a lotta bit

Reactions: 3 users
Why does this not have all the likes?
This is so clever I'm turned on a little bit. Jk

I'm turned on a lotta bit

Because we're in pre-med forum. They don't get the references.

&

8dLIrNA.jpg

Because we're in pre-med forum. They don't get the references.

&

8dLIrNA.jpg
Oh **** I must have gotten turned around and ended up here hahaha
For real tho this one is still my favorite -
manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-meme.jpg

omg the relationship goals one has me rollin
hahahahhahaha

t4U94Ci.png

2843CED700000578-0-image-a-3_1430645049603.jpg

10393905_627463570687651_69278592235333375_n.jpg

I just want to be a doctor. That's all. I don't care about title. Is that answer sufficient?

Because finding the love of your life is more statistically feasible in a pool of 300 students than in 120 one.

Reactions: 14 users
Kenji HAS to be one of my students!!
:laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
Because power == money and I don't want to lose a year of attending salary :p

1. Never really enjoyed research -- [MD schools in my area] made research a centerpiece of education = gross. I'll do research on my own terms, thank you.
2. I fit in better; better environment.
3. OMM is [from my shadowing/consulting experience] obsolete nowadays -- but I'm none the less interested in learning it, and I'll enjoy the extra knowledge base.
4. Most are located in desirable areas for me -- busy cities make me angry and hypertensive.
5. Honestly easier to apply and compare schools -- by my completely biased judgment there are a million MD schools and 20 DO schools lol
6. I wouldn't touch surgical sub sub sub sub specialties with a ten foot pole.
7. I also want to be a doctor, I guess..

Reactions: 10 users
4. Most are located in desirable areas for me -- busy cities make me angry and hypertensive.

Absolutely this! It is like I wrote that one myself :p.

Personally I enjoy research...I have worked in a lab the past couple years and will continue research as a DO student.

I shadowed a DO family physician for about 15 hrs and during that time he saw a couple patients who requested OMM. It may not be scientifically kosher, but it does relieve pain without simply masking it. Some call it glorified massage...which sounds pretty good to me. I like the idea of learning it, however once school starts I probably won't be in the mood to memorize anything extra.

For me, it was the non-trad love that DO schools show. They honestly appreciated what my life experiences would bring to the class.

Status
Not open for further replies.