Why do some programs require pre reqs to be completed before Spring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riderrapidash

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question, just genuinely curious. Today, I found out I wouldn't be able to apply to Mississippi State because I'll have 4 pre reqs in progress rather than the 3 they allow at submission. I've already had to drop UofA, another school I wanted to apply to because they require pre reqs to be done 12/31 the year before matriculation. Why is this? If a student doesn't end up having their coursework done the Spring before like nearly every other school accepts, can't a school just rescind admission? For reference, I still have Phys 2, Ochem 1 and 2 and Biochem to complete but everything else is pretty much done. Just is a shame because it's two less schools I can apply to. Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

My best guess is that those particular schools feel they can evaluate applicants more fairly if they have all completed the same pre-reqs prior to admissions decisions being sent out. But without being on those schools' admissions committees that's really just me shooting in the dark.

Reactions: 9 users
No one here will know this answer cause no one here is on a vet med admissions committee

My guess is because it's a good way to limit applicants at any one time.

Reactions: 8 users
No one here will know this answer cause no one here is on a vet med admissions committee

My guess is because it's a good way to limit applicants at any one time.
Yeah guess that makes sense, just seems like they'd lose qualified applicants. Sorry, I'll delete the question, didn't realize that there's no adcom

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah guess that makes sense, just seems like they'd lose qualified applicants. Sorry, I'll delete the question, didn't realize that there's no adcom

They can always apply the next year. There's plenty of qualified applicants every year; having a delay for some to complete prereqs is not much of a problem in the school's perspective

Reactions: 1 users
Michigan state requires all pre-reqs to be completed which I appreicate as a completed bachelors as I know I'll get a more fair chance when viewing my application holistically

Reactions: 1 users
Sure they can rescind an offer if you don’t complete it, but if the school does that, they have to scramble to fill a seat for the incoming class and potentially lose out on another student’s tuition. The more outstanding prerequisites, the greater the risk the school takes on an applicant.

Reactions: 5 users
Michigan state requires all pre-reqs to be completed which I appreicate as a completed bachelors as I know I'll get a more fair chance when viewing my application holistically
That does sound beneficial, I hope you get in!!! Thanks for letting me know, I’ll have to wait to apply there.

Sure they can rescind an offer if you don’t complete it, but if the school does that, they have to scramble to fill a seat for the incoming class and potentially lose out on another student’s tuition. The more outstanding prerequisites, the greater the risk the school takes on an applicant.
Makes sense, I didn’t know the waitlist wasn’t as simple. Thank you! As far as that goes, should I just wait to apply with you nothing in progress? I had a lot of AP credit and have taken heavy course loads and have a good amount of vet experience but I don’t want to lose money applying if they’ll think I’m too risky.

There are twice as many applicants per available seat every year. There are plenty of qualified applicants who are able to apply that are rejected. The schools aren't missing out when they only need 200-250 students (between the acceptance and wait list) out of 1000+ who apply.

Reactions: 3 users
I never served specifically on a vet med adcom, but my other experience does inform me on why we would limit your consideration to 3 or fewer prerequisites. So I don't represent any vetmed adcom process but...

My answer: Risk management. Students that tend to have more than 3 prereqs outstanding in my past committees' experience have a higher risk of not completing them, and thus they would be unable to matriculate.

Yes it also makes it easier for us to compare applicants with similar levels of preparation. We always prefer the students all grades in all their prerequisites over those who have courses pending, and the more courses there are pending, the more risk and uncertainty especially if you don't come in showing a record of mostly A's in your courses.

We prefer not making rescinding offers a regular task of the admissions office. We like giving good news.

Reactions: 5 users