why do people think the new NBDE format...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarext

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
why do applicants to specialty programs think that the programs are going to look at there board scores from the new format in a different way than the scores from the old format? for example I know some people who got an 88 and 89 say that the programs (OMFS for ex) are going to look at it as a low 90's when compared to the old format. I am one who believes that all the new format did was weed out the the good from the great. I mean if you were really prepared for the NBDE than you got a 90's score, else you did not.

Members don't see this ad.

why do applicants to specialty programs think that the programs are going to look at there board scores from the new format in a different way than the scores from the old format? for example I know some people who got an 88 and 89 say that the programs (OMFS for ex) are going to look at it as a low 90's when compared to the old format. I am one who believes that all the new format did was weed out the the good from the great. I mean if you were really prepared for the NBDE than you got a 90's score, else you did not.

There were those that took both and the discrepancies were apparent. This is not to say that there was a HUGE difference, but the difference is evident to all.

The first year the "new format" was taken, there weren't any scores above 95 in the entire country, and the average score dipped 3-4 points according to the official statistics. Whether that's a result of the scoring methodology, class taking the exam or just unfamiliarity with a new system, I'll leave that up to everyone else to judge.

Oh, it seems the trend has reversed or at least somewhat reversed. People are definitely scoring 95+ again, but I've heard some anecdotal results that say the average is still around the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first year the "new format" was taken, there weren't any scores above 95 in the entire country, and the average score dipped 3-4 points according to the official statistics. Whether that's a result of the scoring methodology, class taking the exam or just unfamiliarity with a new system, I'll leave that up to everyone else to judge.

Oh, it seems the trend has reversed or at least somewhat reversed. People are definitely scoring 95+ again, but I've heard some anecdotal results that say the average is still around the same.

what's the highest score for last year? :D