Top 5 ortho programs in the country and why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knband25

Reaction score
I have visited several programs, as well as spoken to past DS, residents and alumni. Still my information is limited, let's hear from your experiences.
I'm applying and need to decide on interviews and have decided to interview at 10 places, with these being my top 5:

My top 5:
UIC
Strong faculty/mentors
Hosts a lot of symposiums (example is they run the Graber symposium so you can see the expertise)
Very organized curriculum and clinic
Good # of patients/resident
Lots of different treatment modalities given as options
Research opportunities

Montefiore
Huge # of craniofacial and orthognathic patients
Solid practice management curriculum
Lots of Invisalign and other newer treatment modalities
Energetic and very successful program director
High tech
Lots of patients

UOP
Lots of patients
High tech
Faculty with modern treatment modalities
Lots of Invisalign
Good pedo/ortho emphasis

VCU
Lots of patients
Very clinical
Good research opportunities (clinical and basic science)
(Have to say, the residents didn't seem as excited as the other 4 options on this list. Maybe it was just that day though)

UF
Caring faculty
Good resident to faculty ratio
Diverse case types
Multidisciplinary emphasis

These are just mine, looking forward to hearing from others!

I have a bottom 5, but will keep them to myself haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't interview/apply at these schools but hopefully my perspective will help.

1. As you visit these programs, feel out the vibe and see if you would enjoy being at that program. See the resident dynamic among each other. Negative cultures will weigh you down daily.
2. Cost (some of these schools have 200-300K in tuition costs vs. being paid). I would recommend paid or affordable programs will help you in the long-term with debt burden. Programs that are "free" are super competitive because of that reason, not necessarily out of this world better than some other ortho programs
3. Research expectations-some programs it can be a survey, case report and you're done. Others will have you do a whole thesis and defense. Good consideration of your comfort level w/ research. Few truly enjoy doing research but having a big research requirement will consume a good portion of your residency time.
4. Having good pediatric exposure is good especially treating phase 1 cases and behavior management. A good amount of the orthodontic patient base have good behavior so when a child is nervous or has less than ideal behavior, it's good to have that confidence to guide them to a good spot.
5. All in all, residency is 2-3 years and it all balances out after practicing in the real world. Your growth will largely be dependent on your self-drive and learning. Not all residents are created equal. You can be attending the best program but have a poor attitude and end up on the same level as someone who attended a lesser known program but had the best attitude.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best program is the program where the residents seem healthy, relaxed and mentally ok; the program that does not have toxic faculty/director.

I don’t see tuition and stipends listed, where’s BigHoss……. They aren’t the only important factor but they’re really important. Do you want a fancy residency and extra $400k debt, or net $50k debt and choose the fancy stuff you want in your life?

General happiness of the residents and amount of research are important to consider as others have mentioned.

Thanks, so based on the above, Montefiore checks the boxes the best in all categories.

Let's hear your bottom 5
The obvious ones are Georgia and CTOR
I've heard of some middle tier programs that have taken a hit, mostly due to revolving faculty and directors that stay for just a couple years or even less. Also lack of funds to provide a modern experience. I'm curious to hear from others.