Why do PAs love their job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malusport

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been talking to a lot of health professionals and PAs seems to very very happy. Why is that? Could some practicing PAs please reply?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Any seasoned PA's have a response to this great question?? :eek:

malusport said:
I have been talking to a lot of health professionals and PAs seems to very very happy. Why is that? Could some practicing PAs please reply?

Thanks

Why so troubled my child?

Members don't see this ad :)
There may not be many seasoned PA's on this forum. Try posting your question on www . physicianassociate . com and you'll probably get more response.

1.no required residency.(optional residencies for pa's at www.appap.org)
2.ability to change fields at will. a pa can work surgery 1 year and peds the next, etc.or peds and er and surgery at the same time.
3. lower debt load of 2-3 yr degree vs 4
4. malpractice covered by employer
5. faster growth rate of profession. the pa field(# of jobs) is expected to grow 50% in the next decade. this makes it the 3rd fastest growing field overall(see prior thread about growth rate)
6. no office overhead
7.ability to earn md level salary( > 100k) if you go into a specialty field like er, surgery, or ortho with less time spent in school and more of your money to keep because you have fewer loans.
if you have any doubt about being a pa go to an md/do program so you won't ever have to wonder what if?

I am so very glad I found this forum. I have been struggling for the last year between becoming a physician (particularly in EM) and becoming a PA. All of those things you listed about being a PA have drawn me to that particular healthcare profession. Since I am 30, happily married and don't relish the idea of seeing very little of my husband over the next 8 years I think being a PA is a good fit. Then the 'what if' creeps in. I don't have the time or the money to graduate from PA school and decide I want to be a physician, but I definitely don't want to go to med school and end-up miserable & in debt up to my eye-balls.

What insight can you provide regarding this decision?
What are the key factors I should be considering?
Why do some PAs choose to go on to med school? (I have read the thread, but don't feel like PA to DOC really answered that.)
What type of person is happiest as a PA vs. the type that is happiest as an MD?

I am currently a PA student graduating in Dec.
I had the same thoughts and concerns..MD vs. PA. Honestly it comes down to what's important to you, putting aside age, marital status, family etc.... All those things are important but somehow everything falls into place when you feel confident about your choices.
Good luck :)

Other PAs have anything to add? I'm struggling with this decision right now also, and would love to hear what went into PAs decisions and what they love about their jobs.

I thought about the MD vs PA and I chose PA cause it fit my needs and wants. Im still a PA student and I struggled alot with my decision. I decided against MD because of the time and money issue. I couldn't see myself being in that much debt and giving up that much time of my life just to have a little more authority in the end. My goal is help people and provide healthcare and I can do that as a PA or an MD. the only difference to me is authority and prestige. Knowledge is always something you can gain, and yes at first PAs may not have as much knowledge as an MD but that doesnt make you less of a healthcare provider. As far as your decision goes it depends on what your motivation is and it is a decision only you can make. You have to feel comfortable with what you choose. I know a few PA students who do not feel adequate as "just PA's" and they will probably go on to med school because they want more knowledge. Don't become a PA if you feel like you will be settling. But remember in the end no matter which profession you choose you will have a significant role in healthcare. If that's what you are looking for, Im sure you will be happy either way.

I, too, struggled with this decision and ultimately decided to pursue MD or DO. I shadowed Docs and PAs (4 Docs and 7 PAs total), and I definitely felt like I would be settling if I opted for PA. All of the PAs were competent, fairly easy-going, represented both genders, and came from various ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. The range in practice experience was 5-21 years. All of the PAs felt obliged--without my broaching the topic--to address (repeatedly) their reasons for becoming a PA and not a physician. I got the sense that all of the PAs were to varying degrees self-conscious of their professional status--either in their own eyes, the eyes of other healthcare professionals, the eyes of their patients, or combinations of all three. The most confident PAs (probably 3 of the 7) were indeed very comfortable practicing as PAs, had awesome patient rapport, and commanded a great deal of respect from physicians and nurses, but even these folks were keenly aware of others' perceptions of them in their professional roles as PAs.

The decision to become a PA or a Doc--or anything else in life for that matter--is an intensely personal one. I know it was for me, and in the end I just couldn't see myself as a PA. The road to becoming a Doc will be a long and arduous one, lined with many sacrifices for me and my family (I'm 31, married w/two young children), but it's the only road for me.

Based solely on my volunteer experience, experienced PA's are treated significantly different than say residents. A lot of the more experienced PA's don't even really need to present to the attending physician. PA's essentially practice autonomous medicine, and I feel that its a good thing. (I know I'll get flamed for this especially since I'm a premed) Experience outway's any book learning you may receive, so can you really compare a physician still wet behind the ears with a PA that has been doing his job for years? Absolutely not, and it would be ridiculous to even try to compare the two. Just my two cents, that is the reason why I think there are many happy PA's out there.

bgreet said:
Based solely on my volunteer experience, experienced PA's are treated significantly different than say residents. A lot of the more experienced PA's don't even really need to present to the attending physician. PA's essentially practice autonomous medicine, and I feel that its a good thing. (I know I'll get flamed for this especially since I'm a premed) Experience outway's any book learning you may receive, so can you really compare a physician still wet behind the ears with a PA that has been doing his job for years? Absolutely not, and it would be ridiculous to even try to compare the two. Just my two cents, that is the reason why I think there are many happy PA's out there.

Why are PAs so happy?

Good pay, no call, short training, increasing autonomy, range of job opportunities.

sbrudd said:
I am so very glad I found this forum. I have been struggling for the last year between becoming a physician (particularly in EM) and becoming a PA. All of those things you listed about being a PA have drawn me to that particular healthcare profession. Since I am 30, happily married and don't relish the idea of seeing very little of my husband over the next 8 years I think being a PA is a good fit. Then the 'what if' creeps in. I don't have the time or the money to graduate from PA school and decide I want to be a physician, but I definitely don't want to go to med school and end-up miserable & in debt up to my eye-balls.

What insight can you provide regarding this decision?
What are the key factors I should be considering?
Why do some PAs choose to go on to med school? (I have read the thread, but don't feel like PA to DOC really answered that.)
What type of person is happiest as a PA vs. the type that is happiest as an MD?

You posed a very good question. What type of person is happiest as a PA vs. MD? Excellent question. Really the bottom line is what you value more. PA's are competent individuals, they know their job and they do it well. However, like someone mentioned, they are not doctors and they will always be below a doctor. Some people don't care that they are below a doctor, it's like whatever, I do my job and you do your job. Others do care and like to be in charge.

The key seems to be what you enjoy more. Thus, if you like free time, wanna practice medicine but don't want very long hours, want to enjoy life and don't care taking orders and not being the final call then you will be very happy as a PA. However, if you are argumentative, always want to be right, don't put up with bull****, are agressive, want to be in charge, type A personality; then you will not be happy as a PA, and it might be worth to go and become a doctor. That is the distingushing characteristic that I am noticing PAs vs. MDs. It all depends what you are willing to give up more and what you are willing to put up with.

Do you want people to call you doctor, come to you with their problems, be the hot shot doctor who knows everything. If that appeals to you, then prepare for long hours, but lot of respect as well.

On the other hand you want a normal life, good pay, but never be the top gun, then be a PA, simple as that.

Neither profession is to be looked down upon, just what each person prefers more, that is the bottom line!

whats not to be happy about? Great job--helping, educating and learning with people every day. practicing medicine with essentially a parachute to pull if you need.

Big money. What other profession (i am certaibn there are more but) will pay n100k plus for 40 hours and have actually minimal student loans?

plenty of respect among professionals. plenty of fre time for the family and time to actually spend the money on a rather cushy life style.

Bandit said:
whats not to be happy about? Great job--helping, educating and learning with people every day. practicing medicine with essentially a parachute to pull if you need.

Big money. What other profession (i am certaibn there are more but) will pay n100k plus for 40 hours and have actually minimal student loans?

plenty of respect among professionals. plenty of fre time for the family and time to actually spend the money on a rather cushy life style.

$100K is too high. Maybe some PAs (probably surgical PAs) make six figures, but not all PAs. Median salary is actually in the $65-75K range according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos081.htm#earnings).

i work er and my first year out of school made 85, second 120k. more now.

on fourty/week

I acutall dont know many PAs that earn less than 80. I am sure it is out there, for the primary/ped PA esp new grad, but experienced PAs soon earn great livings. I turn down work at least twice per month. all over 100k.

I know several that earn MUCH more than I do. in radiology cath labs, ER, surgery, ortho. I have a personal friend in radiology--with bonus will be darn near 200k. I know these are exceptions and not the rule, but abmitious compotent PAs earn damn good livings.

Everything else I stated about likeing this job still holds too.

When do PAs start specialization (i.e. surgery, radiology, etc.) during PA school or once they graduate?

many start before PA school with experience in a field. Radiology techs, physical therapists and athletic trainers, paramedicis surgery techs, and so on.

you have elective rotations for any type of specializing as well.

But, hey that is another great thing about the profession. Getting sick of surgery? Get a job in any other area without having to complete another residency.