Why didn't you link?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to start a 1-year postbac with linkages offered this upcoming summer. The school I am most excited about (Bryn Mawr) offers linkages to a number of medical schools I am interested in. I have noticed (on this board, other boards, and from statistics offered by a variety of postbac programs offering linkages) that many students in programs with linkage opportunities choose not to take part in them, and opt to complete a glide year instead.

I am curious as to why (any of you currently or recently in linkage-offering postbac programs -- or who are knowledgable about this kind of thing) so many people choose not to look into med schools. Is it because it is difficult -- even from programs like Goucher or Bryn Mawr -- to get into a linkage? Or because people aren't happy with the med schools offering linkages? What sort of undergrad GPAs are required to get a "linkage," and then what sort of continuing GPAs/MCATs allow one to keep it?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful ... It is something of a mystery to me, I guess, because at least from my vantage point they seem like great options, and I'm curious as to why so many people choose not to pursue them.

Members don't see this ad.

I didnt link b/c I wanted to keep my options open. I wasnt sure about any of the schools that we had linkages to. A huge percentage of postbacs do, tho.