why can't it be March 15th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laugh qd

I triple-dog-dare you
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've had my decision and list pretty well decided for a few months now. Is anyone else just anxiously awaiting for match day? or are you still making changes to your list?

Members don't see this ad.

i keep making changes to the bottom of my list (the number 9 & 10 spots). and i'm still debating in my head about the #2 & 3 spots, but haven't made any changes. i've ranked 8 PM&R and 5 prelim medicine programs. and just to clarify, two of the programs have categorical and advanced spots which is how i have 10 spots ranked.

how many of your ranked PM&R programs would you be honestly happy to see come March 15th and how many are just so-so? i'd be "sweeeeet" happy with my top 6 spots (4 programs), "that's still cool" happy with the 7th, and "at least i matched" happy for the rest.

im gonna rank about 14 pgy 2 places... my top six id be extatic at... i dont see a huge difference for me between them (i know the differences, but its like, they balance each other out, one has better location, the other slightly better rep, the third has something else etc)
7-8 id be ok with
bottom 6.... what did I do wrong????

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all, i'm totally bummed that i didn't find this forum sooner. i'm ranking 7 programs.

still not sure of the order...
priorities are (in no particular order): location, program strength, reputation.
for matched residents, what was the most important factor? and would that still be the case in hindsight?? any suggestions? does the US News and World report really matter since it's not very objective anyway, but everyone who's on it-- quotes it!!?

sorry, i was gonna post my rank list, but not sure just yet...

how about we post rank lists after they are due?
that makes it just for fun

Although I'm not a "matched resident" yet, I'll share my priorities in no particular order: atmosphere, approachability and teaching from faculty, location (husband is in business), and resident characteristics (would I want to work with them... would they want to work with me)

The last 5 on my list are just OK, as in I'd be happier there than not matching, but certainly not as excited to match there then at the top 5. These are the programs I'm ranking in alphabetic order. I'd be find with sharing my list, but brooklyn wants to save it for after they're "in."

U of Cincinnati
U of Colorado
Loyola
Mayo
MCW
U of Michigan
U of Pennsylvania
RIC/Northwestern
Schwab/U of Chicago
Spaulding/Harvard
Wayne State

deleted for clicking post twice

heh ok so here are mine, not in a particular order and not alphabetized... I dont have the patience for that... oh and I never actually did learn the alphabet :p
My reqs are 3 year program, as im a do looking to do a do year first, good place to live as a single guy, great training, supportive staff/faculty/environment (these are also not in order)
as far as how I made my rank list, i separated the top programs id be thrilled with (6) and the rest
and with each of the two i ranked em in three categories 1. academics 2. lifestyle issues 3. "gut"
there were a couple of ties that got settled by whether there was a great difference in one of the three categories (eg. progam A and B are both vying for number 9.... A recieved a much higher score on my academic dept, and B recieved a much higher score on my living issues dept, so the category "gut" becomes the tie breaker

Kessler
JFK
Jefferson
UVA
Metro
stoneybrook
U of M
U colorado
Rush
baylor houston alliance (2)
mercy pittsburgh
temple
University of Indiana

these are DEfinitely not in order.
interviewed but will not rank U Cinn
cancelled interviews at wayne state, U kansas, U Minn, UNC , Upenn baylor dallas, U Wisc

got dissed by OSU, every Chi town program but rush, Mayo, Spaulding, U

as you all can see I am and was using the shotgun approach to the match.

Hi guys,

I'll probably end up rankin 9-10 programs. Already submitted my rank list, but have been tweaking it a bit. I'd be extremely excited for the top 5 (speechless for the top 3), very happy for the next 3, and glad to have matched for 2 of them. The ranking process has been a lot harder than I imagined. I'm finding programs to be fairly different, but it's been a challenge figuring out which aspects of going to a program are most important. I will post my list after the 21st. . .

well let me just throw mine in randomly and then present my rank order after Feb. 21st. i'm gonna go alphabetical.

East Carolina University
Eastern Virginia University
Louisiana State University
Marianjoy
Miami/Jackson Memorial
Nassau
THE Ohio State University
UT Southwestern

Got rejected by: RIC, University of Virginia
Canceled interviews at: Mercy Pitt, Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein in Bronx
Just didn't hear back from 10 other programs.

I have a question about March 12th, the day that we find out IF we matched. Is there a way that you can tell if you matched into a categorical vs. a prelim/advanced position? For example, if you match into categorical the website will say, "You have matched for your PGY1-4" vs. an prelim/advanced e-mail saying, "You have matched for your PGY1 and PGY2-4."

Just curious...

i'm pretty sure you get one of the following
1 you matched (could be adv or cat+intern)
2 you matched cat but not intern
3 you didn't match (anything)

so depending on your list... you may be able to figure it out... but it would be hard

hey fozzy40. here's what the nrmp user guide says (find it at http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/user.html):

1. Congratulations, you have matched!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who is "fully" matched,
including:
- Applicants who listed and matched to a categorical program
- Applicants who listed and matched to preliminary and advanced programs
Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on
their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a
supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement. The matching algorithm considers an applicant "matched" if he/she lists only one program type on the certified rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted on Tuesday of Match Week.

2. Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position but not a first-year position!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to an advanced position, but did not match to a preliminary position listed on his/her supplemental rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain a preliminary position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different advanced position.

3. Congratulations, you have matched to a one year position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to a preliminary position, but did not match to an advanced position listed on his/her primary rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain an advanced position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different preliminary position.

4. We are sorry, you did not match to any position!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who did not match to a
program listed on either his/her primary or supplemental rank order list
. For
applicants participating as a partner of a couple, this statement also may be
displayed if the applicant listed the 999999999 program code on the primary rank order list to indicate '"No Match". Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for any category of unfilled positions.

5. You are not matched because you did not submit a certified rank order list!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but did not certify a rank order list prior to the rank order list
certification deadline. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for any category of unfilled positions.

6. You are NOT matched because you are withdrawn!
This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but was withdrawn either by his/her medical school or by the NRMP. Applicants who were withdrawn by the NRMP because they obtained positions through another matching service will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs.

:( Having finished all my interviews, I feel that I made a mistake by telling one of the programs that I rank it as my #1 after the interviews, I did not know better... It is still one of my top choices, but feel that I should not have said that. Can I send them another e-mail saying that Having finished all my interviews, your program is still one of my top choices? Does that look bad on my application or should I leave it as it is?
PM me if you can.
YOur advise is appreciated. Hope everyone match to their dream program!

:( Having finished all my interviews, I feel that I made a mistake by telling one of the programs that I rank it as my #1 after the interviews, I did not know better... It is still one of my top choices, but feel that I should not have said that. Can I send them another e-mail saying that Having finished all my interviews, your program is still one of my top choices? Does that look bad on my application or should I leave it as it is?
PM me if you can.
YOur advise is appreciated. Hope everyone match to their dream program!

why is this a problem? the programs have been doing this for many many years and they know people change their minds. but still, i'd send them an email and/or letter/thank you note stating you liked the program blah blah blah and they are at the "top of my rank order" and you would be happy to find out on March 15th that you'll be coming there.

Thanks, PM&R to be! I just hope this doesn't reduce my chance of :scared: matching there since I have no idea about the others. Presumely they want ppl who rank them first as priority...? Who knows?

This topic has come up many times in conversation and on various forums. I only told one program that they're my #1. I actually said it pretty early on, but fortunately I haven't waivered much in my rank list.
From what I've heard, redbird, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. You didn't do it intentionally. It is obvious to a program that ranks to match you assuming that you ranked them #1 and you're on the list matched elsewhere, that particular program director and faculty involved in the decision-making has the potential to feel slighted. That being said, I don't think it's recommended that you tell more than your "real" #1 that they're at that spot on your list.
...just my opinions, though! :oops:

to make it feel like the process is going by just a little bit faster... I'm VERY tempted to put my list here so that I can just not think about it after today. I've heard nightmares about people making last minute changes on the ROL due date... and just like I've been known to change right and answers to wrong ones on exams, I don't want to ever look at the list again. It's certified. I'm so anxious... anyone else in? anyone categorically opposed? :scared:

laugh qd,
i'm posting mine in a few days...not before feb 21st though. let's start a whole new thread for that. maybe titling it "2007 PM&R rank order lists" or something like that. i'm also planning on including a little bit of why i put them it that order. can't wait.

I can't believe how nutty the beginning of this week has been. So many people scrambling from all kinds of specialties... makes me quite thankful for my "congrats" message from the nrmp folks. Hope none of our regular posters here had trouble. :luck: Good luck to everyone and I'll be looking forward to seeing where you'll all end up!