Why isn't PM&R on the map?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Worried-doc

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello doctors,ms4 mom here,i'm pretty puzzled about this and curious to know: why is it that whichever statistics i look up for whatever reason whether it's medscape or meritt hawkins PM&R is NEVER even on the list?Do physiatrists prefer to keep it this way to protect it's secrecy as a hidden fun field with great prospects and the benefit of a good lifestyle it offers?
Also i've heard from some physiatrists of the stigma they endure about not being seen as a "real doctor".Why is this?I think physiatrists play the most important role in physical health care and can do everything non-surgical an orthopedist can do.Why are they often seen as "glorified PTs"?
Pardon my ignorance and lack of awareness.

Members don't see this ad.

Also i've heard from some physiatrists of the stigma they endure about not being seen as a "real doctor".Why is this?I think physiatrists play the most important role in physical health care and can do everything non-surgical an orthopedist can do.Why are they often seen as "glorified PTs"?
Pardon my ignorance and lack of awareness.

I will echo @lobelsteve's comment but add another. There are a LOT of Physiatrists practicing now that use no critical thinking in their practice. Whether they were poorly trained (my suspicion) or merely chose the field because of the reputation of "plenty of money or relaxation"; these physicians practice cookie cutter medicine, the extent of their treatments being: "Physical therapy, eval and treat", "Spine injections", or "pain medicines".

The well trained Physiatrists act collaboratively with the surgeons and internists to truly provide good, cost effective healthcare to the patients that most physicians don't want to see in their offices (the disabled, or patients with pain)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is sad.Do you think the role of a physiatrist will be significantly needed in health care in the future? Will it get it's due credit and be recognised better?
This has been discussed before in the forum in other threads but is still ambiguous:how do you fore-see the job market for fresh pmr graduates in about half a decade(2020)?
Not relevant but it would atleast sound like a MD/DO's field and not a PT's field if it was renamed 'neuro-musculo-skelatal(NMSK) medicine'.Just a thought.

Last edited:
I really do believe that the tide will turn with the future successes of regenerative medicine. PM&R is a very diverse field...so even if one aspect of the field become unprofitable, there are many other options. The same can't be said for all other fields of medicine. I'm very excited about the future of PM&R. It does largely look like a problem with leadership...but the good thing is that leadership can change.

Reactions: 1 user