why are the brand names the brand names

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rads22222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying to radiology residency.

Why are the "brand name" rad residencies (MGH, UCSF, Hopkins, etc) considered the best? Is it their teaching? Opportunities? Research? Is it nothing more than age-old opinion? Is the education at those places really that much better than that of your local regional academic center?

I'm just wondering because I'm having a tough time making my rank list and I didn't have the opportunity to interview at those places.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to the other applicants in this year's match!

Members don't see this ad.

ejaqlg.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently applying to radiology residency.

Why are the "brand name" rad residencies (MGH, UCSF, Hopkins, etc) considered the best? Is it their teaching? Opportunities? Research? Is it nothing more than age-old opinion? Is the education at those places really that much better than that of your local regional academic center?

I'm just wondering because I'm having a tough time making my rank list and I didn't have the opportunity to interview at those places.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to the other applicants in this year's match!

Higher quality residents, most productive research faculty, greater resources and impact on the field of radiology.

These top programs do not necessarily have the best teaching faculty or the residents who are best prepared to enter private practice after residency.

Why are Harvard, Princeton and Yale the top colleges in the country? Is the education at those institutions really that much better than going to a cheaper state school like UVA, Berkley, or Michigan? Is it possible to become well educated and get a good job coming out of a non Ivy league school?

Why are Harvard, Princeton and Yale the top colleges in the country? Is the education at those institutions really that much better than going to a cheaper state school like UVA, Berkley, or Michigan? Is it possible to become well educated and get a good job coming out of a non Ivy league school?

Nice that's what I was thinking, too. Thanks

Research, reputation, institutional endowment and all its fringe benefits (better benefits, moonlighting, etc). Plus they tend to be located in sought after locales such as NYC, LA, SF.

And most of all in radiology networking for jobs.

Research, reputation, institutional endowment and all its fringe benefits (better benefits, moonlighting, etc). Plus they tend to be located in sought after locales such as NYC, LA, SF.

And most of all in radiology networking for jobs.

Would you say the networking for PP jobs is significantly better at the brand names than at "tier 2" places?

Can be, particularly around where those centers are located. However if you want a job somewhere in Louisiana I hope you train somewhere in that region rather than Yale. Odds are the local contacts would beat out the Ivory Tower ones.

Can be, particularly around where those centers are located. However if you want a job somewhere in Louisiana I hope you train somewhere in that region rather than Yale. Odds are the local contacts would beat out the Ivory Tower ones.
Thanks

In terms of networking, going to an "Ivy league" residency will only benefit you in getting an academic job. Even then it's not mandatory.

If your goal is to live in, say, Phoenix. I believe you're better off going to a tier 2 place near Phoenix, than going to UPenn. It's just that the local hospitals are likely staffed by people who also trained at local Phoenix residencies. So when it comes time for references, it's a good chance they personally know your attendings at your Phoenix/Arizona program and will trust their judgement on how smart you are, how much a team player you are, etc.

Would you say the networking for PP jobs is significantly better at the brand names than at "tier 2" places?

Reactions: 1 users