Why are people jumping ship from BWH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCMD2005

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Why are people jumping ship from BWH cardiology division, just look at theheart.org and see what I mean? Is this program going down the crapper just like Cleveland Clinic?
-CC

Members don't see this ad.

CCMD2005 said:
Hi,
Why are people jumping ship from BWH cardiology division, just look at theheart.org and see what I mean? Is this program going down the crapper just like Cleveland Clinic?
-CC

Quite the contrary, the BWH is doing better than ever. One of the many missions of an academic medical center is to generate leaders in medicine/research throughout the world. Few institutions in the world can claim to have shaped the landscape of leaders in cardiology as the Brigham has. Peter Libby, chairman of cardiology, stated, "we proudly plant Brigham pods in an oligoclonal manner." If you look into many outstanding cardiology departments in the US, you will find Brigham blood. One such example is UT SOuthwestern, with numerous Brigham explants: John Rutherford, L. David Hillis, Sharon Rheimold, Joe Hill, James DeLemos, etc.

The BWH will open its state-of-the-art ($350 million) Shapiro Cardiovascular Center within the next few years. Shapiro will be a 10-story, stand-alone, dedicated center of excellence for multidisciplinary cardiovascular care. You really don't have to worry. The BWH has secured its standing in the top echelon of medicine for generations to come. The truth of the matter is that the Brigham has such an all-star cardiovascular faculty, that it is difficult for its talented junior faculty to rise among the ranks. With Eugene Braunwald, Joe Loscalzo, Peter Libby, Christine Seidman, Pat O'Gara, Elliott Antman, Marc Pfeffer, Paul Ridker, Christopher Cannon, Ken Baughman, Lynne Stevenson, William Stevenson, Scott Solomon, John Jarcho, Thomas Michel, Andrew Selwyn, Campbell Rogers (the list truly goes on and on), etc., a good way for talented Brigham academicians to gain more resources and make substantive progress is to move on to other pastures. Case Western Reserve is gaining some outstanding physician-scientists, but the Brigham is also promoting its reputation as a source for leaders in medicine.

Because doctors at Harvard don't get paid squat.

I've heard of Harvard faculty who have to moonlight.

And this is one of the highest markets for housing in the nation. Why? I don't know. Heck, I can understand why SF is so overpriced, but Boston?