Who's gotten post-interview love from which programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A thank you for coming email from UNC and from UChicago

I think I remember a UNC thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I got one.

ditto. Kinda sucks too becuase it seemed so "personal" considering they really went into detail to talk about my "qualifications"...oh well.

Haha, that Dr. Sullivan is a charmer.

Members don't see this ad :)
To quote from another thread:
"Oh my gosh!!! I totally feel where you're coming from. I also had a fit....wtf!!! They completely mislead you and gas up your head. You're the best candidate ever....blah blah blah....EFFFF Them! I signed up for SDN just to reply to this post. LOL...I feel your pain. I know we should be happy and appreciative of what we got...but dang.... "

I received letters from UAB, KU and Texas A&M/Scott & White.

The UAB and KU letters were form and then at the bottom had personally written statements like "enjoyed our conversation about 'blank'...", "I think you would fit in great here..." and my favorite "keep me posted..". Keep you posted about what? If I want to come to your program or not? Of course I do. Everyone wants to match. Keep you posted on how high I'm going to rank you? I'd be stupid to say anything other than number 1, sir!

The Texas A&M/Scott & White was a standard christmas card that was signed by a lot of people but I didn't really read it.

I've been told not to read into any of these because PDs and programs in general like to match the best candidates as possible (obviously) and send these things out to everyone to improve their own match statistics.

Yeah, I guess I got the same thing from UAB. Got letter from Mayo. Got a form email from Wayne St saying I'd made the "final cut," whatever that means.

When is a good time to go for a second look? (in Jan or Feb?) Is it smart to go for a second look at my top place or just email the pd telling them they are my number 1? I know it wont do much but I want to increase my chances as much as I can. Lastly should I send stationary to all of the program I have interviewed at? Thanks...

When is a good time to go for a second look? (in Jan or Feb?) Is it smart to go for a second look at my top place or just email the pd telling them they are my number 1? I know it wont do much but I want to increase my chances as much as I can. Lastly should I send stationary to all of the program I have interviewed at? Thanks...

Second looks in no way increase your chances. If you have more questions/feel that you need to see more to finalize your decision then make one by all means. However, don't go there with the idea that this will make them know I am more interested and thus they should rank me higher.

That said I think it is smart to write the PD an email clearly stating they are your number one choice.

I would be very careful about 2nd looks. I am of the opinion, based on my own personal experience, that they can hurt you or help you. I did a 2nd look at the program I matched to and I think it did help me. Everything went smashingly well that day with everyone I interacted with and people seemed genuinely glad that I was there. However, I also did a second look at another program where the program coordinator (secretary) had not communicated in advance with anyone that I would be there that day. They were shorthanded...it was just a bad day to be there and I felt like I was in everyone's way.

I would try to get a sense with each program whether or not applicants usually even do second looks there. If a program is not used to that, it may seem odd and desperate. I was told this at a nice midwest program I interviewed at by a friend already in the program.

Proceed with caution.

I got a phone call from Case Western a couple days ago!

I would be very careful about 2nd looks. I am of the opinion, based on my own personal experience, that they can hurt you or help you. I did a 2nd look at the program I matched to and I think it did help me. Everything went smashingly well that day with everyone I interacted with and people seemed genuinely glad that I was there. However, I also did a second look at another program where the program coordinator (secretary) had not communicated in advance with anyone that I would be there that day. They were shorthanded...it was just a bad day to be there and I felt like I was in everyone's way.

I would try to get a sense with each program whether or not applicants usually even do second looks there. If a program is not used to that, it may seem odd and desperate. I was told this at a nice midwest program I interviewed at by a friend already in the program.

Proceed with caution.

Yes- I would have to agree. After I made a second look, I got nervous because I realized what scenario I had put myself in. Luckily, I thought I did well and even got positive feedback later but I could have imagined a million things going wrong. I even got pimped!!! I can't remember the last time I was on rotation so all this medicine info has long left my brain storage.

Even though people say to take post-interview love with a grain of salt...it still feels good to hear back, especially if it's from your top 3 programs. I just wish I knew how many % they actually contact out of everyone they interview.

:eek: this whole process is toying with my emotions! lol

Hopkins sends out a generic email with a "favorable" tone immediately post-interview and a christmas card...can other people corroborate this?

PSU/VCU send out generic thank you emails.

Maryland/Virginia: Thank you letters from chief resident and chairman (+ email from chairman)

Baylor responds to interviewees' emails.

Got a general email from Hopkins.

Also got a somewhat personalized email from Miami.

Nothing else

Hopkins sends out a generic email with a "favorable" tone immediately post-interview and a christmas card...can other people corroborate this?

I got the Christmas card before I interviewed as well as the email afterward. Both were distributed via the ERAS listserve. I wouldn't read too much into them...

I can't comment on the other programs.