Who's gotten post-interview love from which programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i got the same letter. A few of my friends who interviewed there did as well. i think they send it to everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

did not get the brigham letter. you should feel special

Yeah it seems most of the big programs are the ones sending out letters....not sure what that bodes for me. Back to playing russian roulette til match day i guess

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah who really knows? But I'm sure anything is better than nothing. How long back did you interview?

Btw what happened to rads?

Interviewed very recently. This is an account that me and my hubby share...he is going into rads :)

And thank you lurch for the ego boost

No problem. Must have been the tuxedo tshirt I was wearing. It seemed like a great place though. Best of luck.

Hey All, what did ur Brigham letter say. Did it have anything else on it?

Yeah it seems most of the big programs are the ones sending out letters....not sure what that bodes for me. Back to playing russian roulette til match day i guess

Just so that you all aren't sizing your chances up on the semantics of "post-interview love letters" I can give you a glimpse of what it's like from the other side. For example, I know of a program where the PD will send out a quick email to the couple of applicants that they liked the most on the day that they interviewed, just a "glad you came here to interview" kind of thing. Then, when it comes time to rank, the committee isn't noting whether they send a love email out or anything. So, generally a love letter is a good thing, but don't be heatbroken if you don't get one because you could be ranked higher than someone who did get some love after the rank list is all said and done. So keep your chin up!:)

Got something from UToledo today via email.

I think the new recommendations regarding love letters has decreased the outflow from programs this year... is that an accurate assessment?

Got something from UToledo today via email.

I think the new recommendations regarding love letters has decreased the outflow from programs this year... is that an accurate assessment?

if it's the same email i got from them today than i wouldn't really consider it a "love mail" it mostly talked about the survey that they'll send out after the rank order list is due and how this was a very competitive year. maybe you got a different email...

RJ, the one I got did mention the survey, but there was some love in there. Nothing about competitiveness that I saw. I do have a pre-existing relationship with the department, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine sounded pretty strongly about being ranked highly. Didnt seem generic but did we all get the "same" one?

yep got it too. i know a few people that got that email and didn't match there, and some that did so i guess it's better to get it than not get it but i wouldn't put too much emphasis on it.

Has anyone heard anything from BIDMC?? I know they don't usually send emails out, but a classmate of mine said they contacted him.

I haven't heard anything from BIDMC other than some courtesy replies to thank yous with the offer to answer any questions. They have a great program, it would be awesome to be a resident there.

yep got it too. i know a few people that got that email and didn't match there, and some that did so i guess it's better to get it than not get it but i wouldn't put too much emphasis on it.

I was figuring it was sent out by mass. My guess when they say that I will be ranked highly is meant that I will be ranked period.

I was figuring it was sent out by mass. My guess when they say that I will be ranked highly is meant that I will be ranked period.

considering they don't rank everyone they interview, i would assume that your conclusion is correct. Like everyone on here says take these letters with a grain of salt, it's great that we get them but they really don't mean anything, just rank the places in the order that you want to match in, that's all we can do.

I was just going through the entire thread...and it seems to me that not a lot of programs sent out these letters / called this year. For example, last year, there were phone calls from UCSF and Hopkins (back in early Feb 09)...

anyone has the similar impression?

I was just going through the entire thread...and it seems to me that not a lot of programs sent out these letters / called this year. For example, last year, there were phone calls from UCSF and Hopkins (back in early Feb 09)...

anyone has the similar impression?

Yep. I hate waiting, and I am generally a pretty patient person. I wonder how many PDs troll the forums and get a kick out of watching us :) I know of 1 for sure.

totally agree camel....think a lot of programs didnt contact people this year...even my home program used to call every one of its students and this year they said they would not call anyone and actually did not...

totally agree camel....think a lot of programs didnt contact people this year...even my home program used to call every one of its students and this year they said they would not call anyone and actually did not...

Was there something unusual that happened last year that made programs not want to contact applicants this year? My roommate who's applying into Radiology is getting RTM calls but I haven't heard much from anesthesia programs and neither have other applicants this year applying into gas.

Was there something unusual that happened last year that made programs not want to contact applicants this year? My roommate who's applying into Radiology is getting RTM calls but I haven't heard much from anesthesia programs and neither have other applicants this year applying into gas.

not sure...talked to some people from my school applyin for anesthesia and thtey have not heard much either...

From what I heard during a few of my interviews, the NRMP issued some warnings last year to some programs for their love letters, which they felt put undue pressure on students (and probably were less than truthful). There is no rule about it, but they strongly recommended that programs avoid sending anything after the interview. One of the letters I received actually had the disclaimer included (something like "We are required to inform you that this has no bearing on your rank" etc.). Probably better, but it does leave us with a little bit less to occupy us during these long days.

I got a letter in the mail from Stanford and an e-mail from UCSF.

Nothing for me from BIDMC other than courtesy replys.

I agree...there seems to be fewer calls/emails this year.

Has anyone recieved any post interview lovin from St. Barnabus or SUNY upstate??

received a phone call from chairman at ochsner in new orleans
phone call x2 (pd/chief) from baylor
email - LSU N.O.

How helpful is this thread, in reality?? I don't really see it being all that productive.

Many have gotten some token "love" from a program or two. Great. Some others have not. No big deal.

This thread seems like a big "sword" fight, IMO. And, yes, I've gotten some "love", so I'm not being bitter or whatever. Just chill the hell out people.

Have a drink. Take a Xanax. Dare I say grow up??? Whatever floats your boat, but some of these threads are becoming all too reminiscent of the Allo forum......

How helpful is this thread, in reality?? I don't really see it being all that productive.

Many have gotten some token "love" from a program or two. Great. Some others have not. No big deal.

This thread seems like a big "sword" fight, IMO. And, yes, I've gotten some "love", so I'm not being bitter or whatever. Just chill the hell out people.

Have a drink. Take a Xanax. Dare I say grow up??? Whatever floats your boat, but some of these threads are becoming all too reminiscent of the Allo forum......

:thumbup:
Perhaps the stories of faltered aspirations from people who received various measures of assurance in the past and still failed to place in the "promised" program have tempered my exhilaration with being courted.

Promises are great but until we walk down that aisle, words mean nothing to me.

Eh, depends on the definition of helpful :) So pretty much not at all, but it's something to read everyday until the actual results come out. I do not view it as bragging (I'm very happy for the people who've gotten great things from the big names). I report my experiences so others have more frame of reference, and I use it the same way. Problem is that we're limited to those that are forum frequenters.

Also, I agree with Eta.

Not sure why this offends you so much - it is just another thread where some of us (current applicants) exchange information. Nothing more and nothing less.

In my mind, this is very similar to the thread where we post interview dates and EMR for any program. It is just another piece of information...you might find it useless and meaningless but some people might still want to know. That's all.

I understand why you think such information is worthless, and therefore it is foolish to share this information...but seriously, it is just some random facts. Just like gossips and TV shows, some of them are pretty stupid, but I still like reading / watching them...

Not sure why this offends you so much - it is just another thread where some of us (current applicants) exchange information. Nothing more and nothing less.

In my mind, this is very similar to the thread where we post interview dates and EMR for any program. It is just another piece of information...you might find it useless and meaningless but some people might still want to know. That's all.

I understand why you think such information is worthless, and therefore it is foolish to share this information...but seriously, it is just some random facts. Just like gossips and TV shows, some of them are pretty stupid, but I still like reading / watching them...

I hear ya my friend. I was just a bit ornery this a.m......LOL I see Camel's point too.

I just wish everyone the best, and to not add stress to the picture. But, ultimately, it's benign.

Hell, we might as all get along as much as possible. We're gonna be colleagues very soon.

cf

I hear ya my friend. I was just a bit ornery this a.m......LOL I see Camel's point too.

I just wish everyone the best, and to not add stress to the picture. But, ultimately, it's benign.

Hell, we might as all get along as much as possible. We're gonna be colleagues very soon.

cf

I find myself ornery more frequently while I wait. :)

I seriously hope we can all meet each other in the next few years (ASA or something). CF, I'd love to have some philosophical/political discussions with you :) How do you feel about Ron Paul, if I may ask?

:thumbup:
Perhaps the stories of faltered aspirations from people who received various measures of assurance in the past and still failed to place in the "promised" program have tempered my exhilaration with being courted.

Promises are great but until we walk down that aisle, words mean nothing to me.

I agree. If they did not say "you are ranked in the top X places and we have X spots for the 2010 match" Take it with a grain of salt.

HINDSIGHT = DO NOT LET THESE CALLS CHANGE YOUR RANK LIST.

I experienced these post interview love first hand last year. Most are false promises with a few exceptions :)

Last edited:
I thought the second look was mandatory. and if you didn't go on it then u wouldn't be ranked

I did not go for a second look and still received email about being ranked (St.barnabas)

I find myself ornery more frequently while I wait. :)

I seriously hope we can all meet each other in the next few years (ASA or something). CF, I'd love to have some philosophical/political discussions with you :) How do you feel about Ron Paul, if I may ask?

I really like Ron Paul. I feel the Republicans, in general, have let us down almost as much as the Dems. So much for smaller government, greater states rights, and fiscal responsibility.

I also don't think all of our foreign "adventures" are good for the country, not to mention the guys that go over and have to kill and be killed because some "badas.s" NEO-cons (and others) will it to be..... Not to mention the cost savings of shoring up many of our oversees bases. Then, we can't exactly just sweep the civilian "collateral" casualties under the rug. How many more enemies do you think we create when just one family loses a little girl to some drone missile mess-up.....

Seriously, we're still in f.cking Japan! Unreal.

That's why I like guys like Ron/Rand Paul and even Peter Schiff. At least they respect the Constitution and don't want us to get involved in everyone elses business.....

cf

Out of curiosity, did you go back to St. Barnabas for a second look? They made it seem like it was almost mandatory to be ranked.

To quench your curiosity, yes I did :) It does seem they put some emphasis on the 2nd look

I really like Ron Paul. I feel the Republicans, in general, have let us down almost as much as the Dems. So much for smaller government, greater states rights, and fiscal responsibility.

I also don't think all of our foreign "adventures" are good for the country, not to mention the guys that go over and have to kill and be killed because some "badas.s" NEO-cons (and others) will it to be..... Not to mention the cost savings of shoring up many of our oversees bases. Then, we can't exactly just sweep the civilian "collateral" casualties under the rug. How many more enemies do you think we create when just one family loses a little girl to some drone missile mess-up.....

Seriously, we're still in f.cking Japan! Unreal.

That's why I like guys like Ron/Rand Paul and even Peter Schiff. At least they respect the Constitution and don't want us to get involved in everyone elses business.....

cf

Took the words out of my mouth (or hands, in this case). Best of luck in the match (to all) and maybe I'll have the privilege of working with you someday!

Did someone who interviewed at Northwestern not receive a letter saying they are "one of the finest candidates"?

I'd really appreciate to know whether or not they sent it to all their interviewees.

Did someone who interviewed at Northwestern not receive a letter saying they are "one of the finest candidates"?

I'd really appreciate to know whether or not they sent it to all their interviewees.

I got one.

good luck to everybody in the match... not sure if post-interview love letters mean much. Seems like everybody gets them or no one gets them

Last edited:
For what it's worth, did anyone hear anything back post-interview from UNC, UChicago, or Georgetown?

Good luck to all in finalizing your lists!

A thank you for coming email from UNC and from UChicago