who's been contacted recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got the resident phone call as well as a PD email from UCSF today. Stanford sent another letter, as did Northwestern. I've had 3 programs "guarantee" that I would match with them. I think this is all sort of amusing. It'd be interesting to get involved in the admission process as a resident and see how much of this is genuine.

Members don't see this ad.

recent phone calls from Pitt, Northwestern, BW and recent emails/letters from NW and Duke

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt think it was a violation to contact applicants. As long as they dont ask how you will rank them and they dont tell you how they will rank you its ok right?

Definitely not illegal for programs to contact you. The only thing that is illegal is for a program to ask where you are ranking them and it is illegal for you to ask where they are ranking you. I think you can tell each other all the unsolicited sweet nothings that you want. The key is to not ask .

Palabra

True, it's not illegal for programs to contact you, but i think what UT is talking about is programs telling you will be "guaranteed" to match there, when it may or may not be the case. Though I have not been guaranteed a spot, I have had a few programs tell me my chances are excellent etc.

Maybe when programs tell you that you have a spot it's for real, but as a senior resident, I'll bet UTSW has a different perspective.

--Cap

Wake- email
Penn State- 2 Emails
Pittsburgh (UPMC)- phone call
Ohio State- 1 email
UCONN- Phone call
SLU- phone call

Loyola
Temple (letter and e-mail)
Northwestern

Capsaicin said:
True, it's not illegal for programs to contact you, but i think what UT is talking about is programs telling you will be "guaranteed" to match there, when it may or may not be the case. Though I have not been guaranteed a spot, I have had a few programs tell me my chances are excellent etc.

Maybe when programs tell you that you have a spot it's for real, but as a senior resident, I'll bet UTSW has a different perspective.

--Cap

It's definitely interesting to see these things from my perspective. Not that we are doing it here, because I keep getting e-mails from applicants wondering why they HAVEN'T gotten correspondence from the department.

I have spoken with our faculty that came from outside departments and their stories are interesting to say the least.

Just got a card in the mail from UTSW.

I LOVED that place. They are actually number 2 on my list, so it's nice to get some acknowledgement from them.

i regret not applying to more programs down south bc this NE weather blows.....anyways..

has anyone heard anything from UPENN?....just curious....

Email from Dr. Gaiser

I have not heard a thing from Washington University in St. Louis. Did anyone get a call, e-mail, letter or anything from them?
Also, does anyone by chance know what their call schedule is like?

Members don't see this ad :)
boogerrat said:
I have not heard a thing from Washington University in St. Louis. Did anyone get a call, e-mail, letter or anything from them?
Also, does anyone by chance know what their call schedule is like?

I've gotten a few phone calls from Dr. Cox in the past week, but haven't actually spoken with him yet.

spacetygrss said:
Just got a card in the mail from UTSW.

I LOVED that place. They are actually number 2 on my list, so it's nice to get some acknowledgement from them.

Good to hear. I'm assuming they didn't promise you would be in the top ten and just totally blow away my argument above. :D

hey space cowboy... did you get a phone call from brigham and women?

UTSouthwestern said:
Good to hear. I'm assuming they didn't promise you would be in the top ten and just totally blow away my argument above. :D

No, they just told him they would "rank him to match"...

:laugh:

UTSouthwestern said:

LOL.

Not quite. They said that they hope that I will rank them "sufficiently high" so that could match there and then the chairman wrote a little personal note at the bottom.

Who knows. We'll see what happens come match day. I definitely wouldn't mind being there though.

B&W; letter after interview "intend to rank you highly" phone call from vacanti in february.
MGH: letter after interview from zapol "guaranteed to match if you rank us 1"; phone call from baker in january
BID: pretty generic email in january 'very impressed... hope you come here"
JHU: email from mittman ; something about being very likely to match if you put us 1"
no contact from columbia or penn or cornell.

-F

Vandy
Yale
Neb
New Mexico

Prelim
St. Joseph

I've been contacted like the others via email, mail and telephone. TO answer your original question though the most recent was BWH via phone last thursday. Hope this helps. :)

i've sent out several emails to my top schools, seems that Duke, UAB, and Vandy has been replying back with positive comments. Nothing from Wash U, oh well.

me too and then nothing else

Space Cowboy said:
when i got my original letter from b&w the letter said that they intended to rank me highly.

For those that posted in this thread during the 2004/2005 season, when did you start getting contact? Should I be worried if I havent gotten any emails of phone calls from many of these program yet? Do they just come later?

Lies, lies, and more lies.

As someone said earilier, these are nothing but sweet nothings.

Programs will usually tell you they will rank you high or "sure to match" IF you rank them high, etc. They do this so they can have the satisfaction of having a lot of people ranking them high. This maneuver has two benefits. It makes the program look attractive and highly sought after, and it lessens the stigma of unmatched spots.