who's been contacted recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

achieman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many programs I interviewed at told me that they will be in contact towards end of Jan to see how we match up. Anyone has been contacted yet? Please indicate in what form and by who.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting question. I've had a few phone calls, letters and emails from various places that I interviewed.... Who knows what it means other than it was very nice of them to call or write.

Has anyone been contacted by UNC, Wake Forest, Stanford, Univ of Chicago, Hopkins, U Penn, or Brigham & Women's?

I heard back only from UCSF.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from UNC right after my interview. I heard from Hopkins after my interview and then again last week via email.

I've heard back from most (stanford, U of C, Mayo, MAdison, OHSU, Northwestern, Pitt). For most, it's been emails/letters with solicitations for questions, etc. Some have called or sent holiday cards, which I think is kind of nice. I don't know what any of it means. Only UCSF has left me in the cold.

Mayo - phone call
Northwestern - Letter
Brigham - Letter
Hopkins - e-mail
Duke - Letter
UCLA - Letter
Pitt - letter
Madison - letter
MGH - no love
UPenn - no love
UNC - no love
Wake - no love
UofChicago - no love
UCSF - shot down for interview
Stanford - shot down for interview

I'm getting nervous. So far only Yale has sent me a letter saying how they're ranking me.

I was told by a few programs that I would be contacted in late Jan/early Feb. I've already heard back from a few programs - all by email. I'm sure more contacts will be coming in the next week or two. I still have a couple more interviews to go on too.

So, I'm not sweating it. I saw so many familiar faces on the interview trail that we can't all possibly be going to the same program (i.e., I'm pretty highly confident that I'll match at one of my top 5 programs).

-Skip

roundabout1 said:
I'm getting nervous. So far only Yale has sent me a letter saying how they're ranking me.

When did Yale send you a letter? :scared:

MGH - 2 letters and a phone call
SUNY Upstate - a letter
MCG - an e-mail and a phone call
UF - a letter
Caritas St.Elizabeth - a letter
other 6 - no love ... so far :D

Received some nice e-mails from some TY programs.

for those who have gotten phone calls, where they to your home or cell? Weekdays or weekends? Reason I'm asking is that I'm not home during the day, and getting a cell phone call in the middle of work/rotation may put me at an inconvenient spot since I'm working with my current Anes program and don't want to be overheard.

I gave them my cell phone and had a few calls during the day and one at night... still waiting to hear from my favorite program, yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cell phone - the one I've listed while registering at ERAS.

I recieved this very generic letter from Yale where they expressed that they hope I enjoyed the experience and if I had any questions I can contact them.
No where did they mention that they would rank me as they probably did for roundabout1.
I really don't know what to make out of it
Its neither positive nor negative
Any comments??

I got the same letter, I don't know what to make of it, but yale is in my bottom 5
I recently got a phone call on my cell from BWH and MGH

jetmetnet said:
I got the same letter, I don't know what to make of it, but yale is in my bottom 5
I recently got a phone call on my cell from BWH and MGH

1.Same letter from Yale
2. letter from UF-
3. email and letter from St. V's

I got emails from Penn State and CCF. Both informed that will rank me :)
Couple of days ago got phone call from MGH.

Same letter? Nice of them to send it but when I got it I was all excited to see if they mentioned something about ranking. Oh well, doooooooh.

I wonder if they have told anyone about where they are ranking? Anyone? Anyone?

palabra said:
Same letter? Nice of them to send it but when I got it I was all excited to see if they mentioned something about ranking. Oh well, doooooooh.

I wonder if they have told anyone about where they are ranking? Anyone? Anyone?

According to "roundabout1",his letter does have some ranking talk going on.
Only he can elaborate!!

Got an e-mail from penn state and baystate basically saying that I will be ranked favorably... any body else get that same type of e-mail. They both provided their acgme program number. I wonder how many they send out = 20, 40??? :confused:

It was dated the first half of jan, signed by one of my interviewers, and mentioned a "top category".

That's interesting!!
The letter I got was signed by Dr Mandel.
Anyway that's a good sign if you are planning to rank them high

my updates:

No phone calls yet

UNC email after interview
Duke email recently and letter after interview
Vandy recently 2 letters
UAB letter after interview

i think that's all

serenity said:
That's interesting!!
The letter I got was signed by Dr Mandel.
Anyway that's a good sign if you are planning to rank them high

Had the same letter from Dr. Mandel when I got home today...pretty non-specific, but what the heck, nice gesture.

I do hope you guys don't make your rank lists based on any kind of contact these departments provide after your interview. Those letters only benefit the department if/when they get dozens of candidates to rank them #1, thus allowing them to pick and choose with their rank list.

Thats right...it is the PD's ideal situation to have every candidate that he/she interviews rank the program #1. In the end, the student doesnt get hurt, as long as he or she doesnt mind attending that program. But the program essentially gets to pick its spots without any surprises.

ucla- generic letter
emory- nothing
wake- nothing
vandy- generic letter
uva- holiday card
jhu- i was on a semi-generic email with like 30-50 addresses
penn- nothing
stanford- personalized email
ucsd- generic letter
washu- nothing

i haven't gotten any phone calls. :thumbdown:

I felt like i had more control over this but after hearing some stories from early matchers it seems like this whole media blitz from programs is a potential hose-job.

Yale -Generic letter (no mention of ranking me highly)
Stanford - Personal e-mail
Duke - 2 letters
UCSF - Letter from Dr. Miller
NYU/Cornell/Columbia/Sinai - nada
MGH/B&W/BID - Just interviewed at (nothing yet)
JHU - Nada

Prelim
St. Vincent's - "You'd fit well with our program"

yeah, I've heard programs keep track of how low they go on their rank list to fill, and it's sort of a badge of honor to have that # be lower than cross-town rivals. I agree that we should all be taking these gestures with a grain of salt and recognize that most of our peers are getting the same letters. Both sides play this silly little game; they tell all of us they're ranking us highly, and we tell all the programs we're very interested in matching there. Still, it's probably a nicer feeling than to hear nothing from programs, even if, ultimately, it's meaningless.

1) Yale....letter & e-mail
2) Indiana University....Phone calls
3) UNM................e-mail
4) Prelim med in CT....lots of love :love:
No love from others

gasgodess said:
Letter from Temple
to anyone receiving a letter from b&w... did they say that they intend on ranking you, yada, yada, yada?

hope all is well

Mass e-mails today and yesterday from UTMB and OU. But I'm pretty sure they sent them to everyone they interviewed

You guys, listen to the residents who have been through this before. We all have stories about these letters, phone calls, emails, on and on and on....Do not fall for this garbage and do not give these programs the upper hand. Go where you will be happy because that is the most important thing. At the end of the day we will all be anesthesiologists and sitting at the ASA meeting having a good time with each other.

MGH sends out a letter that you will believe is the most personal thing you have ever received. They have quotes in the letter that you said in your interview and all kinds of personal stuff. Now they don't send this letter out to everyone but their top applicants get it (or they did last year). After you read a letter like that you feel like you are the only applicant in the country. Well, that is the point!! I heard not a word from some programs and know for a fact I was high on their list. The program I am going to emailed people, called them and I did not get a thing with the exception of a letter with some handwritten note on it. I did go for a second look at the program I am going to which I think is a very important thing to do. This is such a stressful time, I was a wreck last year going through this but it worked out great. Good luck and say your prayers.

"MGH sends out a letter that you will believe is the most personal thing you have ever received. They have quotes in the letter that you said in your interview and all kinds of personal stuff. Now they don't send this letter out to everyone but their top applicants get it (or they did last year). After you read a letter like that you feel like you are the only applicant in the country."

Are you refering to the letter Zapol sends after the interview or a different letter?

when i got my original letter from b&w the letter said that they intended to rank me highly.

About 1 or 2 generic letters stating "at the top" or "ranked highly", but a few that I thought were nice (and still probably generic):

Wake- email
Penn State- 2 Emails
Pittsburgh (UPMC)- phone call
Ohio State- 1 email
UCONN- Phone call

One of these programs stated I was ranked within the number of slots they had. I know people say don't listen to these people, but would a program actually say you are ranked "WITHIN our # of spots" and lie. I think thay would say "top of our list" or "ranked highly" if they did not want to be caught in a lie. Either way, I am ranking as should be.....where I want to be!

Swaydaa said:
About 1 or 2 generic letters stating "at the top" or "ranked highly", but a few that I thought were nice (and still probably generic):

Wake- email
Penn State- 2 Emails
Pittsburgh (UPMC)- phone call
Ohio State- 1 email
UCONN- Phone call

One of these programs stated I was ranked within the number of slots they had. I know people say don't listen to these people, but would a program actually say you are ranked "WITHIN our # of spots" and lie. I think thay would say "top of our list" or "ranked highly" if they did not want to be caught in a lie. Either way, I am ranking as should be.....where I want to be!

Hell yes they would. If programs are willing to break the rules of the match and offer candidates outside the match, they are certainly willing to try to stack the deck with promises and guarantees.

I went through the match a few years ago. Let me give you all some advice. These letters/phonecalls you get can be misleading. From experience, they mean nothing in terms of where you end up. This goes for all the different feilds. What matters is not the programs communication with you, but YOUR communication with the programs. Unfortunately most programs have ranked already. What y'all should have done is called up the programs, taken second looks, talked to administrators. These things get you into programs. Especially if you are not the most qualified candidate. One 20 minute conversation with a program director that YOU initiate can push you way ahead on their rank lists. Best of luck.

Unless you have a written document that says this, it means nothing. Ignore it and do your thing. You will not be disappointed if you are in control. If you let all this stuff influence you, they have the control. Things will work out. Like I said, we are all going to be anesthesiologists in the end.

UF email- letting you know if they are ranking you
Temple email- saying basically the same

Temple - email saying I would be ranked favorably and an assurance that if I rank them #1 I would be guaranteed a spot in the program (or so they say)

heard from just about all BUT UCONN....wtf.....not stressing as it is last on my list and these emails prob mean jack****....sounds like decent program but location sucked.... (still deciding on if i should rank monte, in which case THAT will be last)......

bri, good job on pulm........i think your grp made the wall of fame...keep up the good work.... :laugh:

UNC - email: Just saying keep us in mind.
UF - email
Penn State: email

Yesterday received email from Temple PD that they are ranking me

JP2005 said:
bthings, good job on pulm........i think your grp made the wall of fame...keep up the good work....

We set a new standard for pulmonary...we will be talked about for years to come. As far as pulmonary goes...I'm not interested

anyone hear from UCSF recently?